JRI Jigs really are something Special

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by fishordie, Sep 9, 2014.

1. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Good morning all,

Just a few minutes for some thoughts while waiting on the Tuna to cooperate on the Gallagher/Excel 8 days charter.

This is my third long range trip where I have had a chance to use a variety of JRI jigs. The first jig, used on my last 17 day trips was the PL 68 type, but heavier, glow in the dark jig for drop jigging in the dark.
    This was and is a phenomenal jig which comes into its own when the current is a bit too strong for the standard PL68 due to it's heavier weight. The jig is still weighted and shaped correctly so that it zig zags on the way down and cranks up easily through the zone.

The next series I tried, albeit with fewer Wahoo to be had, was Jerry's new bombs and color appropriate wahoo colors. These appear to be very well made and effective but I really have not had a decent Wahoo bite since I acquired these lures. I did catch a fish or two previously on them but I plan to really put them to work in November.

This trip I and a few others have had a great chance to see how the 6X Jr. sized JRI jigs worked on larger Yellowtail and Maaaaan do they work. Our first day the winds and current along with a bit deeper drop area we were working made these sized jigs with the added weight deadly. Since this was not a wide open bite, rather it was a steady pick throughout the day, those of us with the right jig combination had a huge advantage and JRI jigs were the ticket. In addition, though most of the fish were taken on the yo yo, when the fish did come up the JRI surface jigs were phenomenal. Based on what I have seen along with what Steve Mcavoy and I have been discussing, we are working these top water jigs just a bit slower than some other surface iron and getting bit like crazy. I rigged these with a treble hook rather than a single tuna hook. Depending on color choices these 6X Jr. sized jigs should also work fantastic on Wahoo rigged with a single J hook. OUTSTANDING

Finally, I was hoping to get a chance to try the new JRI Hooker type trolling lure for Wahoo and Tuna but the Hurricane put the Kybosh on that idea for this trip. However, I did run this lure on my trolling rotation and the fast, steady, drumming of the swim pattern undoubtedly will give the old Hooker Intruder trolling Jig (Much coveted by those in the know) a run for its money. Jerry is using superior materials on these jigs so I am fairly convinced these will hold up even better than their predecessors. I hope to use this trolling jig again on my 14 day early in November. As a note, this jig was a prototype and needed just a small amount of tuning as it wanted to track just slightly to port. I gave just a small tweek left to the back eyelet and it is almost perfect. I will get the final tune in on my next troll turn. Again, this thing swims magnificently based on the drumming effect of the swim pattern and how well it stays at a proper depth, on track, without jumping around.

In short, Jerry is really contributing a fantastic series of product to the fishing industry. I have always noted I like smaller jigs for long range as many times the schools are feeding on small baits. Having the extra weight in a small package to combat the currents is a huge advantage while still having a jig that swims beautifully.

Lastly, I am super pleased to note we had the majority of our passengers fishing drop jigs this last trip and they Dug it. The jigs were out performing bait and we, the charter masters, made sure everyone had jigs to use. Beginners and experienced anglers alike were all going to the drop jigs and loving it. No doubt, there will be some large sales of jigs just based on their experience on this charter.

Have a great season

Jamie

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Zoomer, egarratt, Anglewood and 4 others like this.
  2. john e.

john e. Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    any
    Got my first JRI a watermelon Hooicide bomb last week. It makes my lure bag look GOOOOD! Cant wait to use it!

3. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Jamie it took you long enough to discover what some of have known and have been saying for the past couple years… JRI jigs flat out rock …….

rodblder and Johnny J like this.
  4. poncherello

poncherello I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    none
    Glad you liked the watermelon HOOICDE BOMB John. I too like that color combo.

Thanks for the kind words Jamie and David.

I will say, it was a nail biter giving a prototype lure to a fishing group that probably is hard to convince when they see a new product. Especially not knowing if the lure would swim. So far I'm 2 for 2 and waiting back from the intrepid. Although, no fish were caught, my main focus was to see if the troller had the "wiggle" that set it apart from others.

Still in the early phases, but my last week of putting this together has been rewarding. I took a week off of work and had a list of projects to do around the house. Well, those honeydo's never transpired and all I did was work on this troller. Needless to say wifey was not happy and she started to blame this jig business of mine. My rebuttal to her was, "don't blame it on the jigs, blame it on the R&D department". Either way, I still got, "The Look". You boys know what I'm talking about. So as always, thanks to the wifey for putting up with me this past last week.

Thanks again Jamie. It's reports like these that keep me going.

Back to the dungeon

5. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    October can't come soon enough:

6. john e.

john e. Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    any
    feel free to send some trollers on the sept 20th 6 day on the Royal Polaris!

7. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    I used Jerry's jigs almost exclusively on my last two trips and they just plain get bit. I wouldn't think of getting on a boat without them.

-Connor

Baller and Fishybuzz like this.
  8. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    I used several of Jerry's JRI jigs on my last trip and they were very effective. Looking forward to using the Wahoo trolling lure on my next trip. Keep up the great work, Jerry!

- Jeff Burroughs

9. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    I second, or third, etc the accolades for Jerry. Great jigs and even a better guy.

J.AkuHed likes this.
  10. reel man

reel man Common sense

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    I recently received 10 of the Hooicide bombs that will get a workout on my 14 day in Nov. They are exactly what you want a bomb to look like, so I hope the wahoo can't leave them alone. Can't wait to throw them!
    Now Jerry has come up with a troller that will give the marauders and bonita plugs a run for their money. Got to get one or 2 for the trip.

11. The Bushman

The Bushman The Bushman

Name:
    Ken Bush
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    I've been saying the same thing for the past five years......just not in so many words. I cant wait for my 8 day in three weeks. Jerry is hooking me up again this year, and we will be putting his jigs and bombs to good use once again, along with his intruder troller. Thanks again Jerry....see you soon!!
    JRI lures rock!!

Anglewood likes this.
  12. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    Guys, I will add that I purchased several of JRIs lighter jigs and in a lull in the deep fishing, I tried one to see if these jigs were "all that". As Madeline Kahn said in Blazing Saddles, "it's Truuue". I only wish we had had surface action as these will be yellowtail killers. If Jerry needs a Tennessee pro staffer, I'll put in my application. Now, if he would only make a cricket jig, I'll be in high cotton!

13. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Can I buy some online??

14. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    You can get in touch with jerry on here. His handle is "Poncherello"...

15. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    All I know about Jerry is that when you ask him a question, he'll answer it quickly. Very positive guy to have around and I appreciate his help. I have a feeling there's some wahoo in my future.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  16. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Jerry is da bomb. Super nice guy, and obsessive about the quality of his products. I was hanging out with him at Ken Bush's house last April, and I got a serious education about how jigs are made. I also learned a great deal about ringing hooks from a guy who is the most expert I have ever seen.

Based on our discussion and what I saw with my own eyes, there were two absolutely standout reasons to at least try JRI jigs:

1. Jerry uses the highest quality materials, and he doesn't use multiple sources. For this reason, his products are always consistently of the highest quality.

2. JRI hooks and rings are not brazed on with silver solder, but actually welded using an oxyacetylene (did I say that right) torch and brass (or is it bronze?) rod. That connection is tiny, smooth, and stronger than the steel ring it closes. JRI jigs do not break when they hit the deck. The hooks don't come off, the rings don't break. Any JRI jig you buy will be awesome until the day you (inevitably) lose it.

So I have been buying them and using them. Guess what? They are fish killers. They have consistently out fished my other jigs.

I'm sold.

Anglewood and mikelravy like this.
  17. bobsled

bobsled Consumer

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    N/A
    So I have a 2.5 dayer on 9/23 that leaves late evening. Rather than fighting traffic I'm going early, which means I'll have time to kill. I plan to stop by Angler's Choice to pick up some JRI jigs. So, if I were to pick up 3 or 4 jigs for tuna and tails what do you guys recommend?

TIA

18. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Silver/blue for tuna, scrambled egg, mint/white, or blue/white for tails. I like single hooks for tuna, and sometimes for yellowtail, but most people use treble hooks for yellowtail. And some people have been doing well with treble hooks for tuna too.

And by the way, JRI jigs use quality hooks too. You won't need to swap them, if that was even on your mind.

19. bobsled

bobsled Consumer

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks Jim. One last question, so are they all the same size/style (excluding wahoo bombs)? Tady for example has 9s, 45s, AAs, Cs, etc. etc.

20. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I don't know all of what Jerry has, but Angler's Center has the full line. I should tell you that he has both heavy iron and surface iron. I am not very good at fishing surface iron, and I love JRI's because I actually catch fish with them, unlike with some other surface irons I have. I can tell you, though, that it is because I am not good at it.

I use the JRI-6s, which are about the same size as a Salas 6X Jr. That's heavy iron, made of 100% brass. Sinks fast and deep, and swims really well. There will be a full-sized heavy jig soon...it's in the works...but it's not available yet. There is also a BIG heavy jig (I don't know the number) that is like a PL-68. I use the JRI-6s for tunas, yellowtail, and wahoo. I've got some of them in unpainted brass for wahoo that are deadly.

There are also various surface irons. The ones I have are equivalent to a 7X.

It should be noted that people are buying the JRI jigs as fast as Jerry can make them. Angler's Center just put in a new order. Maybe you should call them?