JRI / GETSOME Vagabond 3day report.

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Johnny J, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Arrived at the landing and had to change into shorts and flops. Capt. Mike was correct in saying we would have some great weather. We left the harbor around 4 with a nice mix of dines and macs. Jerry made sure there were plenty of giveaways. Shirts and 3 pack of jigs for all (with the new Stinger Jig headlining the bunch), along with Getsome lube. A big thanks to 5 Star and Anglers Choice for providing a ton of other prizes to raffle off.

Mike came down and filled us in on the plan to run to Colenet as the fish have been willing to play there. We arrived at before gray light and started the game. Everybody was having great success with the jigs. There where a few caught on the dropper as well. The yellows were more than willing to play along with some good size lungs in the mix.

The second day was to be spent in the same area. The yellows continued to chew and the bottom critters bit much better this day. I finally figured out how to fish again as the first day I was have trouble getting my gear in front of the fish. The Reds were nice and big if you could hold your lips right.

Jerry and Paublo did a nice job of working the Ninja blender (some guys were saying they were the best margaritas they have had). The food was awesome as always with the homemade soups and salad dressings not to mention the special made buns for the Vagabond Burger. Craig and GB were at the top of there game in the galley. Mike, Gogo and the rest of the crew were the usual awesome group. Jerry knows how to make a trip fun and the fishing was excellent too.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  2. rick Jackson

rick Jackson "Carpe diem"

Name:
    Fresh1
    Boat:
    SeaQuest
    Great info/pic's! Gotta' get on that boat this year.....:jig:

3. Johnny J

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Vagabond is great operation. Checkout the JRI 3 day in August if you can.

nmthree and rick Jackson like this.
  4. Simon Bon Bowery

Simon Bon Bowery Lizard Fish Hippie

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    Sweet report Pool Guy!

Wish I was there with you guy's...

5. Slater

Slater cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    Great grade of fish fellas!

6. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Thanks Johnny and Jerry, What a blast everything was perfect from the hosts, the weather, crew, captain not to mention great fishing. And these Jigs work great my buddy Craig got 10 yellows on his new Stinger and managed to not lose it.

Johnny J likes this.
  7. poncherello

poncherello I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    none
    A pleasure fishing with you and Craig. Overall a great trip for everyone. The weather was as perfect can be. Flat, lake like conditions with little wind. A huge thank you to the crew of the Vagabond and Capt. Mike Lackey.

The food was delicious. I'm a pretty simple guy and requested for them to serve burgers for lunch. They had special buns made for us and the hamburger patties weighed over half a pound. I was worried if people would complain of burgers being served, but everyone was blown away. Thanks to GB and Craig the cooks.

Fishing conditions were not wide open, but steady throughout the day. The majority of the fish were caught on the yoyo jigs and on the dropper loop. We lost a lot of jigs to the rocks. If you are not in the rocky structure, you're in the wrong place. Thank goodness I had extra jigs on hand for the "Bucket O' Jigs". I kept on replenishing the bucket with yoyo jigs.

John posted the pics, but here are a couple more on the weather and food.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8. DOGHOUSE26

DOGHOUSE26 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Nothing better than wolfing down a Party Boat Cheeseburger after cranking on a few Yellows!
    Thanks for the awesome Report and Pics!

9. Johnny J

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Did I mention the load of 23. Homemade jams and jellies.

nmthree likes this.
  10. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Is that jig on the left the Jri version of scrambled egg? It seems more yellow brown in the middle than others, which are much more white in the middle. I like it.
    I wish anglers choice had more images of the different color patterns.

11. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Looks like fun. Congrats and thanks for the report.

12. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    yup. SO glad I jumped on this trip.....

I borrowed a JRI jig from some pool guy. It was the "lucky jig" Saturday morning....until disaster struck.....and I lost it. :(

I grabbed a jig from the generous jig pack that Jerry provided all the tanglers, and proceeded to hook, and mostly land, a few more of them. :)

Great group on a great boat with a great Sponsor. Don't get much better.

:D

madrugador, nmthree and Bigfishhateme like this.
  13. Johnny J

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    That is a JRI 3 surface iron. The jig Mikey is referring to was a JJ3 in green and yellow.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  14. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a

I was referring more to the color than the model. It looks like a scrambled egg pattern, but it seems that the middle is more yellow-brown than white, as are most scrambled egg jigs. Or, is if just the lighting? I like the color the way it looks.

15. Johnny J

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    The color shifting paints and pearls are one of the unique features that separate JRI from the other jig manufactures. Style and materials also play a major part or product line.

16. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I

I agree. I especially like how the small yo yo jig is brass, and much heavier than the 6x juniors. I just wish they were sold up here in Ventura. When I go to San Diego for my trips, Anglers Choice is usually sold out. And most of the jigs do not have images, so you cannot see what you are going to get. Which brings me to my original question...in the picture in the first post of the three jigs, is the one on the left the scrambled egg pattern?

17. talltales

talltales Member

Name:
    ron
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy
    This years trip was a little on the tough side, but we managed to put together a great trip. The fish seem to have wanted a fast moving jig so the 7:1 reel I was using really worked out well. Thanks to Jerry and John for all of the giveaways and product support.

18. Johnny J

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    image.jpg Yes the patten is scramble egg. There is a hint of white in the center.

Bigfishhateme likes this.
  19. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Damn, I was so close but yet so far--I had already promised the wife to go with her on a 3 day "cruise" to Ensenada last weekend. I was bored and was constantly thinking of you guys; glad that you had a good trip.

And regardless of the cost or fanciness--there's very little better than a great cheeseburger!

20. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Fishing boat cheeseburgers are amongst the best in the world. Maybe it is the fresh air and exercise. Maybe it is smelling the burgers and onions cooking....whatever it is, sport boat burgers are some good eats.