Journeyman Report 11/19-11/21

Discussion in 'Mainland Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Mike Hieshima, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Mike Hieshima

Mike Hieshima Newbie

Name:
    Mike Hieshima
    Boat:
    26, Shamrock, Bite Me
    Fished last week with Russell, Robert, Ryan and Mitchell aboard the Journeyman with my 3 close friends Big Country Pat, Monkeyboy Erwin and Anthony Aladdin. First off, if you haven't seen the Journeyman, it is a spectacular fishing platform that is kept absolutely pristine. In fact, it was almost too nice for my motley crew as we are more fit for a dirty panga with a bucket for a head. Food was fantastic and the guys provided a service level more fitting of a yacht for the rich and famous. The good news is that we were able to easily break them down to their essence of being dirty old fisherman...

Day 1: Reached the destination at 4am, turned on the lights and had squid on us immediately. Unfortunately, the dolphin were on us too and we were only able to put a couple in the tank. Started our first drift at grey light and Monkeyboy pinned on a squid and hooked our first fish. For the record, if Monkeyboy put as much time at the rail as he does drinking, he would be world class, but suffice it to say he kinda sucks at fishing. Even with such lowly skills, the talented crew was able to coach him into turning the reel right side up and helping him land the first fish, a nice 100lber. The second squid was already set on the kite and got blown up by a nice one. Aladdin took the rod and got abused for an hour by a 170lber that won it's freedom as the flouro pulled from the wind on. Monkeyboy got another one, about 130lbs as even a blind squirrel can grab his own nuts and that concluded the morning tuna bite. We picked off some really nice Dorado throughout the balance of the morning, landing a few nice ones. We had a nice afternoon pop and I skillfully landed a 100lber followed by a nice Dorado. Aladdin used his 2nd wish by rubbing the lamp and redeemed himself with a nice 130lb tuna that did further ass kicking. Fricken Monkeyboy was on fire and caught (as gracefully as a linebacker doing ballet) the biggest of the day at 150lbs. Big Country ranchero'd a few (1 sail and 1 nice tuna) and ended up catching the smallest Dorado of the trip. Aladdin hooked another nice one late that ripped at the gaff and the line parted, I say he should have used his last wish. A great first day...

erwin.jpg

Ant fish 14.jpg

Day 2: Woke up early and the crew had already made a bunch of squid, but we tanked up a few more. Since we ended the day catching fish on cabbies, all of my brilliant friends started fishing with them not remembering that we went 2 for 2 on squid the day prior. I made comment to Big Country who is as dumb as he is big and he still set out a cabbie to swim around in the grey light. So I was the only one who put out a squid and within 5 minutes got picked up by a good one. Shortly after my bite, Pat got bit on a plunker rig and was on. After doing 6 laps around the boat, it finally settled in and cooperated and taped out at 229lbs. As karma would have it, I was up next on the kite and as I was halfway thru my gatorade, the kite got blown up by a nice one. Pat despite being 6'4" and over 250lbs pulls like my 14 year old daughter and was still on his fish. My simple goal was to land a 2nd one in the same time as his first. Since the fish was on kite gear, I buttoned it down and landed the 2nd one just after Big Country landed his, a nice 140lber, mine was 170lbs. I have never had two nice ones on the deck at the same time and was totally stoked. Anthony rubbed the lamp and used his last wish hooked and landed a 150lber later in the day. Another great day...

PGMHfish.jpg

MHfish.jpg

Last day: We made another batch of squid and this time, the geniuses finally caught on. The only problem was the fish had changed behavior and were not super active. Russell started chumming cabbies and the fish finally came around and started to eat. Needless to say, my genius friends continued to soak squid as the fish were blowing up on cabbies. I started to say something, but they just aren't that bright. I pinned on a cabbie, casted and was rewarded with a bite right away. Shortly after we hooked a couple nice fish in a row. Big Country, Monkeyboy and I had a triple going as Aladdin was trying to figure out how to get another wish. The Journeymany being complete walk around made it easy to pass by each other with ease and tangles were avoided. It was a shocker, but I landed mine first, a 130lber. Monkeyboy who had not yet recovered from his first day looked like he had run an iron man and was spent as the fish came to gaff, a twin to my fish. Big Country had a battle of his own going on as the fish was having his way with him. After 40 more minutes Pat's squeals of agony worked as the fish finally cooperated and came to gaff, a nice 160lber. Great last day...

Fella's, if you want a great experience on a fantastic fishing platform, with great crew and great time, I'd suggest chartering the Journeyman. Thank you to Russell, Robert, Ryan and Mitchell. This was the best trip we have taken to PV, period!

Sgtsilbaugh, widgeon, Gmoyer and 6 others like this.
  2. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Haha. Awesome report and congrats on the Vacona.

The Journeyman is a hell of an operation. Can't wait to go back.

Northeastfshman likes this.
  3. lilharcher

lilharcher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Champion 188
    Great report.....you guys sound like my crew....lol.

Lucky to have fished Journeyman on a handful of occasions too.......first class operation and Capt Russell is a fishy dude and a damn fine captain. Can't wait to fish with him again soon too.

4. BD STAFF

BD STAFF Fishing Forums, Articles and Reports

Name:
    Advertising
    Boat:
    none
    karlk1125 and la vida like this.
  5. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    well, I won't be on that particular boat, but I'll be in the same zone in a couple of weeks.

.....already losing sleep with anticipation......

GREAT report! :appl: .....even with the HELLA time zone change..... (today being the 16th) :D

6. dhamarsportfish

dhamarsportfish Captain Danny Gomez

Marina La Cruz De Huanacaxtle Tuna Landing
    Name:
    Danny Gomez
    Boat:
    27 ft Super Panga-30Ft Blackfin- 27ftSuper Panga
    good show guys

7. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Thanks for the great write up.
    Almost like being there----- NOT!!!!
    Can't wait to get back down to PV!

8. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Nice report Mike. I hope it wasn't one of the leaders I made that let loose.
    I'm going to eat some of that tuna right now!

9. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Very Nice report... Mike..

congrats on the nice fish..

Now, it is only around a 100# ligher than your PB...

Jeff

10. Ruben Zuniga

Ruben Zuniga PHAT PHUC

Name:
    RVZ
    Boat:
    Sunk
    Nice!
    We will be on that Boat!
    30th of this Month!
    For the first Time.
    usually fish off smaller Boat out there,
    It sounds like You will do it again!

11. Croation

Croation Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Grady 282 Sailfish "Sonrisa"
    Nice Report!! It won't be long now till I get back there!

12. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    World Cat 270sc
    Awesome!!!! We're you guys up by the islands?

13. Mike Hieshima

Mike Hieshima Newbie

Name:
    Mike Hieshima
    Boat:
    26, Shamrock, Bite Me
    Yep, it was a 3.5 day trip... We were going to fish Banco one day but there was a tourney going on and we didn't want to get stuck in the fray...

14. svue

svue I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Vue
    Boat:
    Everglade 290
    epic again, can't wait to get back down.

15. JTjigger

JTjigger Newbie

Nice report and photos. Nice place to fish. Lots of guys converting over from long range fishin' to just going down to PV

16. widgeon

widgeon Ex-Hunter and gatherer

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Tarpon 140
    Good stuff.
    I can see how that might be a little different than pulling on a 20lb YT.
    :D

17. bubby16

bubby16 Chilan-gringo....

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Working on it
    Great write up! Thanks for sharing!

18. cliff_fishes

cliff_fishes Fishing when I can

Name:
    Clifford Friend
    Boat:
    216 Cabo 1985 E-TICKET
    I am going for the first time Dec. 7 thru 11 and was wondering how you got all that fish back to USA on the airline? I am going on American airlines. Do you have enough time to buy coolers in PV.? Hard coolers or soft pack ones, rollers? Help! Thanks, great report!

19. Ruben Zuniga

Ruben Zuniga PHAT PHUC

Name:
    RVZ
    Boat:
    Sunk
    Pack your gear in a 52qt rolling Cooler from Walmart,$30,
    put your clothes in a backpack inside cooler on way down,
    carry on backpack on your return,
    check the American airlines baggage and weight limits for luggage.
    the coolers w the recessed wheels work best!
    the handlers have to try harder to bust em Off!
    hope this helps

20. Mike Hieshima

Mike Hieshima Newbie

Name:
    Mike Hieshima
    Boat:
    26, Shamrock, Bite Me
    We definitely had more fish than allowed. Our airline allowed 70lb coolers and most top out at 50lbs. We brought a vacuum sealer and processed fish every night. We kept the prime cuts and trimmed tendons and anything marginal. This was the best fish we have brought back... We bring coolers down and have bought them down there in a past trip....