Jon Boat refit - The Outhouse

Discussion in 'Check Out My Boat Customization' started by matt86m, Apr 11, 2017.

1. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    I have owned a few boats in the past; 34' Tollycraft was my live aboard for a few years, ski boat, bass boat, even jet skis and a float tube! But I have never 'built' one. I have had new and used boats and kept them up but never pieced one together and made it my own.

Picked up a 13' 7'' jon boat from Why Me (Jason) here on the board. Just the boat, no motor or trailer. It did come with 2 seats, fish finder and a trolling motor. Time to make it my own.

boat1.jpg boat2.jpg boat3.jpg boat4.jpg

Searched BD for a trailer and motor but ended up finding them on CL - I'd much rather buy from someone on here but nothing available at the time. I was eyeballing a motor (2 stroke) but I really wanted a 4 so I wasn't restricted on some lakes.

Picked up this jet ski trailer that had an extended tongue - should fit my needs just fine, with a couple mods. Ordered a pair of new wheels and tires from of all places Wal Mart online - 2 mounted steel wheels with Kenda tires 175/80/13's for $109 shipped to my door - my local tire guy was more than that for just 2 new tires. Ill 'sell' one of the orig's and keep the other as my spare. Ill make a new front bump/bow stop but other than that not much to do.

trailer1.JPG
    trailer2.JPG

When it came to the motor I know some lakes have a 10hp limit, I have a buddy that has a 9.9 on his 14' V bottom and modded it to a 15 so I had the idea to do the same. Searching CL I found an add for a 2006 Mercury 9.9 - 4 stroke in my own backyard. Didn't have to drive to hell and back for a good deal. He had just posted it and I thought it would go fast so wifey and I scrapped dinner and went to look at it. It ran but then quit, little tinkering and it ran again but quit. It had been sitting for a year so I figured old gas, maybe the carb is varnished a little, etc. We struck a deal and I took it home. Ill go thru it - which I would have done anyway - and replace the fuel lines, clean the carb, new spark plugs, oil, etc to get a baseline for peace of mind.

motor1.JPG
    motor2.JPG

The boat has rod holders for storage and 2 for trolling, ill use those for now and see how it fits my needs. Ill add a couple of shotgun holders for a cast & blast trip that a buddy has been trying to get me to go on for several years.

Reading some other build threads on BD Ill take a page out of their playbook and add some simple bow and stern lights, maybe carpeted floor inserts, cup holders etc.

Next thing to tackle is the RED! I started to sand the bottom with my trusty Harbor Freight DA sander but that didn't work out too well - so I will take it and have the hull sand blasted. This will also give me a chance to inspect the bottom really well and make any repairs- though there were no leaks before. Ill probably paint it black from the water line down and either green or tan the rest of the way. I will probably mix in a little camo pattern but not get too crazy. The inside is tan already and I'm going to leave it alone, as is.

Any suggestions or recommendations for type of paint?

boat6.JPG
    boat5.JPG

Not a baller rig but something that Ill be able to use and bang around without worry. Ill fish lakes and local harbors - HB, Newport and Dana and venture outside when the conditions are right. This will also give me a chance go hooping, I have done it a couple of times with buddy's and now I can go when I want to

The Outhouse name is a play on it being a 'jon' boat along with what my wife said when I brought it home - "You got to be shitting me! This is the boat you were talking about?" She just doesn't see my vision :D

More to come. PLEASE post suggestions and recommendations with pics if you have them. Links to things would be great too.

Smooth water and tight lines!

Joda and One_Leg like this.
  2. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    That outboard is bitchen

matt86m likes this.
  3. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    I got the feeling this is going to turn awesome.
    Good luck.

matt86m likes this.
  4. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
  5. justfishin89

justfishin89 HANA PA'A!!!

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Ranger Z119C
    You have a good start it looks like. Here are some pics of mine that I built, to give you some ideas of things you can do.

20170102_155614.jpg

20161122_201118.jpg

matt86m likes this.
  6. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Jason ^^^ Thanks for the pics. Is that LED light strip on the bow?

7. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Got the boat on the trailer. My measurements were good and after adjusting the bunks a little it fits well. I will most likely lower the bunks so the boat sits lower but I'll hang the motor first to check clearance.

For now I have a little fab work to do to make a support for the front 1/3 of the boat (that's the 2x4's in the pic) and also make a 2x4 stop for the bow.

boatontrlr1.JPG
    boatontrlr2.JPG

Got the new set of wheels/tires - ordered them thru Wal Mart, I specifically ordered Kenda but they (their vendor) sent me a different brand) I guess at this price/size/etc its all the same. I'll take them and get them balanced before I put them on.

new tires1.JPG

Should be taking the boat to get it sand blasted this week, thinking of doing the inside too but could probably get away with a good power wash, quick sand and some new paint - though I did say before I was going to leave the inside alone,,,,

justfishin89, Vernonia and bman440440 like this.
  8. Vernonia

Vernonia Member

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    Jon boat
    Looks Awsome !

matt86m likes this.
  9. justfishin89

justfishin89 HANA PA'A!!!

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Ranger Z119C
    yeah LED nav lights, then a folding one on the back

10. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    The trailer had lights before but they weren't sealed. Figured I could replace them now or after the first dunk or 2. Ordered some off Amazon and wired them up today. Heat shrink on the connections should make it last a while.

newlights1.JPG
    newlights2.JPG

Put the new set of wheels & tires on. 1 of the tires was bad on the orig set, I used the good wheel/tire as my spare.

newlights3.JPG

If anyone needs a spare I'll gladly pass this one along - it does need a new tire so you can get a wheel for free (maybe a 6 pack of frosty beverage) wheel is 13'' - 5 lug - 4 1/2'' not sure how wide - standard jet ski trailer wheel.

freesp1.JPG
    freesp2.JPG
    freesp3.JPG

11. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    Add some extra silicon around the wires leading into the lights. I bought "sealed LED" lights that burned out after one dunk because the leads weren't water tight

Arima-bob and matt86m like this.
  12. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Great idea! I'm putting new LED lights on my trailer tomorrow.

13. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Haven't done much lately, got the 9.9 Mercury humming yesterday. Cleaned the carb, new fuel and she perked right up.

Bought some bottom paint from Defender, on sale so the color will be gray with black and green. Going to float the boat so I can mark the water line. Still need to take it in for sandblast to get rid of the red.

Hopefully get things going soon.

14. Ed Y

Ed Y Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    BW Montauk 170
    Don't forget to get your new tags before heading out.

15. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Thanks for the reminder, new CF#'s will be in the works when I paint it. Ill call ahead for any local lakes for stickers I may need

16. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    Matt, feel like I should just be texting you at this point, but why the bottom paint? Are you keeping this in the water??

I'll be working on mine all day Saturday and most of Sunday, you're welcome to come check out what I'm doing if that fits your schedule.

I've been taking pictures and have a post saved in the drafts section but not ready to take it live yet.

17. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    It will live on the trailer. My buddy found a good deal on the paint and it happen to be bottom paint. I want to get rid of the red so I can use it for duck hunting on occasion.

I may come over and check out what you are doing, need to look at your bilge pump set up.

18. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Been sick for a damn week, made this bunk for the front 1/3 or so of the boat.

bunk1.JPG

19. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Not much else has happened except some honey doo's and some work - keeps getting in the way. Now this pops up! A 20' Skipjack split 4 ways is a possibility. If that happens this will be for sale, either in its current condition or Ill get it sand blasted and paint it grey. Either way I'll load it back up with the seats, fish finder, fuel tank and motor and put it up for sale. I already have 3 storage spots and its getting ridiculous,,,

20. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Hull is now sand blasted. Time for paint.

sb1.JPG sb2.JPG sb3.JPG sb4.JPG sb5.JPG

MarineDieselDr. likes this.