Jigstick rod/reel physics...

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by AWilliams, Jun 8, 2018.

1. AWilliams

AWilliams Member

Name:
    Alin Williams
    Boat:
    none
    So, tell me guys,
    With regard to getting the most out of your cast on your jigstick, does mounting the reel higher or lower on your rod give you the edge and is it a heavier or a lighter reel that gives the whip/launch and trajectory? I have a penn Fathom25n and an Okuma cs10 and cant figure out what is giving me the best of both worlds. The penn being heavier with a metal body and the Okuma having the plastic body. I know it's a subjective type of deal but is there any consensus that will get me in the right direction? I can go down to the bay and make perfect casts in a controlled environment and little wind, but you get on a moving platform with typically lots of wind and chaos the dynamics are very different.

Thanks

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Take both out and use both. See which one feels the best to you

loosendrag and matta57 like this.
  3. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    yes, this x2.

4. loosendrag

loosendrag Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Amen!

5. mik911

mik911 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    9'6" longboard
    If your jig stick length/weight is your constant (c), then to get an edge:
    1)mount your reel lower--this increases the relative length of the rod, hence increasing (r). Increasing (r) will increase velocity (v)
    2)lighter reel. less mass (weight) to rotate will increase velocity (v)

If all else fails, see post #2, #3, or #4

Angular momentum is a vector quantity (more precisely, a pseudovector) that represents the product of a body's rotational inertia and rotational velocity about a particular axis.

Ang_mom_2d.png

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    fishin_kid, jjc7154 and willbuyone like this.
  6. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I think I mount the reel a little higher than most and think of the reel as being the fulcrom point. Really personal preference and style of casting. I'll never win a distance contest but if works for me.

FishAcquisition likes this.
  7. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    I mount real a little higher also. Too much rod above reel just feels a little akward

FishAcquisition likes this.
  8. AWilliams

AWilliams Member

Name:
    Alin Williams
    Boat:
    none
    Last time I went out I was trying to throw lighter jigs with my reel too high. Lots of backlashes.

9. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Most likely more to do with the balance of your equipment than your placement of the reel.

What jigs were you trying to cast on what equipment?

10. AWilliams

AWilliams Member

Name:
    Alin Williams
    Boat:
    none
    tady c on a 9' Turners jig stick. Olkuma 10cs w/ 40#

11. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    That should be ok. Tady C's are not that light. About 2.2oz. Adjust your casting motion to accommodate the difference in jig weight.

12. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    The lighter reel is easier to fish with all day so there's that. The better the freespool the farther you should be able to cast, a lighter spool will have better free spool all things being equal. Where you mount the reel gets into physics but more about what's more comfortable. I know a guy who can cast a mile and the reels almost down at the butt cap, works for him but I couldn't deal with it. Just need to move it around until you find your sweet spot

13. AWilliams

AWilliams Member

Name:
    Alin Williams
    Boat:
    none
    ok thanks guys. I regards to my reels...is the Okuma known to be a good freespooler or not although it's lighter in overall weight. I know the Penn gets high marks for the live spindle.

14. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Vll must be longer. It is proper gearing that creates velocity. At the end of the day ARC creates distance.

15. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    I have an okuma cortez 10 and it casts very well, and has taken quite a beating and still works great. If you are casting braid, the magnet is nice to have.

16. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy
    Cradle your right hand on the reel and thumb the line. Try to keep a 90 degree angle bent at your elbow. Move the reel until the butt of your rod is at the back of your elbow at 90 degrees.

RideHPD likes this.
  17. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    You left out "anglers thumb". Makes no dif all the other things, if angler has "dumb thumb" that jig is going to travel exactly 10 yards.

18. Sandydog

Sandydog Member

Name:
    John Kim
    Boat:
    n/a
    Casting is over in a few seconds. The rest of the time, you're going to be holding and moving the rod and reel.

Assuming you're right handed, put your left hand where you would normally hold the reel/rod. The entire setup should balance in your left hand (tip should stay where you point it, not wanting to move up or down). If the rod doesn't have a reel seat, you can adjust the position of the reel to help move the balance point to your preferred holding location.

The reason is that when you're holding the setup at the center of mass (it's balance point), it will not rotate when you move it. If the rod is tip-heavy (CM is closer to the tip than your hand), then every time you turn around or walk or the boat rocks, the rod will rotate. The tip will try to lag behind. If the CM is below your hand, then the tip will try to rotate towards the direction you're moving any time you turn around or walk with the rod or the boat rocks.

Either way, your hand will have to work to counteract this rotation. It has to work to both support the weight of the setup, and keep it pointed in the same direction. And you will tire yourself out just holding the setup. If the setup is balanced in your hand, your hand only has to support its weight.

Find a crowbar or 2x4 and hold it about a quarter of the way up (i.e. not at its balance point). Try moving it around while keeping it pointed in the same direction. You'll find it's a lot of work. Now find the balance point in the middle and hold it there. You'll now find it's trivial to keep it pointed in the same direction as you move it around. That's how you want your rod and reel to behave in your hand.

matta57 and Fattony like this.
  19. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Take the reel off the rod. Grab the rod handle and point it forward such that your elbow is even with the rod butt. The ideal mounting spot is pretty close to there. For me personally it is actually is exactly there on my bait rods, about 1-2ā€ higher - closer to the tip - on my jig sticks.

Iā€™d chose the fathom over the Cortez, but either should be suitable. Not sure how you have them setup, but the easiest way to learn is with at least 100 yards of 40lb mono. Get it wet before casting and start with a bigger jig like a 7x. There is a sweet spot in casting, too soft or slow, no distance. Too hard and fast - line drive, no distance and likely a backlash.

BASSMITH likes this.