The American Tackle Company

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Mulling over a couple potential builds. Anyone know how much these blanks weigh?

T90J
    PH93H
    E9/Reaper

Also, if you happen to have a blank handy, what's the balance point of the blank from butt? Appreciate the help!

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    GP90Monster is stated to be 9.8oz. Suspect the E9 would weigh a bit more. No clue about the other two blanks. Some established measurements would be welcome.

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    Reaper weighs the least. Ive had all three.

Its reaper, 90j, then ph. They are all different rods though.

The thickness, the castability, the bend, each rod is different. The reaper is easiest to chuck a jig since the newer materials helps it load easier. Its also easier on the arms and back. Its thin though so in order to build up the thickness you need to add a couple of layers of cork tape or cord, making the build weight higher. If you go eith EVA grips, you can get it super light, but you owuld need a graphite seat for it. The 90J is the best rod to chuck a jig with, and continues to be my favorite jig stick. It casts just as far as the reaper, loads up nice and the bend is beautiful. Wont feel undergunned if you hook anything in the 40-80lb range. The ph to me is my least favorite. It didnt cast as far as my 90J. It felt like I needed to put more effort into the cast. The weight was higher, and once guides were on, the action made it super moderate and bends into the grip. On a 40lb yellow, it can make it feel like you have a 100lb bluefin at the end of the rod. The rod makes you super tired since you have to pull a lot.

I think you need to compare them somewhere that they carry them in stock so that you can feel them and pull on them. The balance point is going to be different from a blank, to a rod, to a rod with a reel on it.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Appreciate the thoughtful response Hector.

Was thinking about the 90J and secondly the Reaper. What you said about the actions and castability is spot on to what I was thinking.

I suspect the Reaper might get the jigs out there the easiest but doesn't feel as intuitive doing it as the 90J. Stiff from butt to tip and no glass magic?

Anyways, wanted to see what my overall build weights would be and how the weight balances would vary depending on components. Might end up wrapping both blanks anyways but really wanted to narrow it down to one. BTW, how do you guys feel about single foot guides on the T90J and Reaper?

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    I personally wouldnt go with single foot guides. Both rods are 30-60lb rods, most single foot guides arent rated for 13-20lbs of drag.

As for the rods themselves, i have both my 90j and reaper and both are awesome rods. But like you said, the reaper doesnt feel like a jig stick. It doesnt have that jig stick bend to me. It does have a glass tip, but its a composite. Composites always feel stiffer in the butt and softer at the tip. The 90J just feels like a classic stick that is capable of killing fish. It has the glass feel, a nice moderate fast action. The power of a true jig stick. Theres a reason the 90J has been around this long, and is still chosen as their go to jig stick by numerous anglers.

Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I have a graphiter 90J mag blank, 9.6 oz, pretty light. the glass one weighs more but once built I don't think you'd feel the difference.
    I've been screwing around with single foot #6 running guides on a few jig sticks using tall frame small ring guides #12 to #8 for the rest. Feels better to me for casting, the tip seems to load up better. I'm only using 25-40lb line on a F100, could be an issue fishing 60# for tuna or something. I have a 13' cui with all single foot running guides, haven't had the right situation to bring it. I have a calico trip next Sunday, going to try it then. Looks good on paper anyway

Upvote 0

SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
    Huntington Beach
    charkbait.com
    Name
    Sergey Smith
    Boat
    Imaginary
    The 9E blank is right around 9.6ish ounces and their factory finished rod is about 16.5 ounces. Going with single foot guides probably wouldn't buy you much as far as weight savings. Unless you're spiral wrapping I doubt you'd have any issue with them breaking on a fish, you'd have to worry more about keeping them safe on a boat, in your car and so on.

Here's a post that has some basic casting comparison, this was before the 9E when the Del Mar was their main dedicated jig stick. https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/surface-iron-rod-shoot-out-uc-vs-calstar.623942/

All 3 rods will cast well and are used by thousands of anglers, all will require a different way of casting and fishing since they load up very differently. I think overall the 9E will cast farther with less effort than anything you can compare it to. It has the newest design, materials, and is made as a passion project by the jig fanatic who owns UC and surfaceiron.com

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Thanks for the input everyone. Agree the 9E/Reaper is definitely something to consider. I guess I'll find out whether I end up buying both blanks once the 90J's are back in stock. :D

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Well, I got my sweaty little hand on a 90J.

Thought I'd share the blank comes in at 16.38 ounces with a balance point of 31.5 inches from the butt.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    I noticed some guys have theirs wrapped with HXN guides. Seems overkill but makes me have to ask if there are any issues with the standard XN (or Fuji MN)? Also, you guys think size 10 would be too big for the running guides and TT?

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I noticed some guys have theirs wrapped with HXN guides. Seems overkill but makes me have to ask if there are any issues with the standard XN (or Fuji MN)? Also, you guys think size 10 would be too big for the running guides and TT?
    dude just get the hxn guides. they are not overkill, they don't affect anything, they just look sick and don't break.

• Haha
    Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0