CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
this is not a question on which type. it's a question on how to use them, and not surface but the HEAVY's PL68 8-10 oz's. or simalar. OK WHAT? drop it down to the bottom or where the Cap. is marking fish and crank like hell while pumping the rod??? what??? and why the big single hook? wouldn't a trebble hook increase your chances of hooking the fish?

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Fair questions.
Fish live in a 3 dimensional environment, yet 95% of the boat is fishing the surface . . . hmmmm, maybe if I dropped a jig down deep and reeled it back like crazy . . .

Yellowtail love this. Bluefin at dusk will jump on a blue/chrome. Cows, oh yeah. Wahoo holding down deep below a kelp paddy.

As for the hook, the fish hit a jig moving fast while swimming faster. A big single will hook up (in my experience) every but as well as a treble, but it's stronger and much easier to get out of the gaffed fish, or release. The crew will smile.

oh yeah, you don't need to do any pumping, just grind it up fast. If you can find some Tady 4/0's they work great. PL68's come in more than just glow white. Hold on tight, some real brutes are down there.

Way big fun when everyone else is picking away with sardines in a big tangle off the stern.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Fair questions.
Fish live in a 3 dimensional environment, yet 95% of the boat is fishing the surface . . . hmmmm, maybe if I dropped a jig down deep and reeled it back like crazy . . .

Yellowtail love this. Bluefin at dusk will jump on a blue/chrome. Cows, oh yeah. Wahoo holding down deep below a kelp paddy.

As for the hook, the fish hit a jig moving fast while swimming faster. A big single will hook up (in my experience) every but as well as a treble, but it's stronger and much easier to get out of the gaffed fish, or release. The crew will smile.

oh yeah, you don't need to do any pumping, just grind it up fast. If you can find some Tady 4/0's they work great. PL68's come in more than just glow white. Hold on tight, some real brutes are down there.

Way big fun when everyone else is picking away with sardines in a big tangle off the stern.

Excellent points, Jim!

Quinn, also remember there is no stealth involved. I use a 50 2 speed (4-1 gear ratio) 130 lbs spectra to 100' of 150 lbs Izor mono - double uni knot to jig. Strike drag set at 35 lbs. max at 45 lbs. It is not subtle fishing, but fun as hell!!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
And remember that they will also take it on the drop. So if it doesn't feel right, put it in gear and give it a few cranks to see if anybody is home. Also a word of warning in case they do hit on the drop. If they hit it going away, you can get a backlash. So put your thumb lightly on the spool to control any backlash, and keep your fingers out of the way. Having spectra fly off the spool and loop up around your fingers is way too scary.

Upvote 0

shellback

Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
just drop it down, wind like hell and HANG ON! when the boat moves to a new spot, try to be the first in. this has produced well for me including a 47lb yellowtail on a salas green mackeral 6X. stay away from the bait guys. also take a break between drops- you need to be in alot better physical condition to do this for an extended period than you do to stand there and feel your bait.
shellback

Upvote 0

Truliner

Nov 17, 2011
LA
Name
Joel
Boat
little boat
You can find some Tady 15 lights and heavy with treble hooks and siwash hooks. Advantage of using a treble hook is the big tuna will choke on the jig. By doing this you can really put a hurt on them with the right gear. Down side is with the tuna only gets one hook in its mouth and you pull the hook. Single hooks are good because the hook is much stronger. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    this is not a question on which type. it's a question on how to use them, and not surface but the HEAVY's PL68 8-10 oz's. or simalar. OK WHAT? drop it down to the bottom or where the Cap. is marking fish and crank like hell while pumping the rod??? what??? and why the big single hook? wouldn't a trebble hook increase your chances of hooking the fish?

Depends on what size models you have under the boat. The trebles on iron are pretty much crapola, but can handle fish to near 100lbs with a little to a lotta luck.

Those like the tady with the uber heavy Dozer hooks are for Cow fishing and are seriously strong hooks. When you are talking that grade of fish even a PL-68 is just a morsel, they'll take the whole thing.

No need to pump the rod with traditional iron. save it for japaneses style vertical jigs when you need to generate a reaction bite.

best

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    None
    Tady 15 had way to much resisitence coming through the water for me. PL 68 much less resistence means you don't wear out as fast. If on anchor with current drop at bow and walk to stern while dropping. Like to get it down at least 150 feet before starting wind. I just lay the rod on the rail and give it everything I got. 100lb mimimum and I do a bimini to a double uni.

Fish do bite on the sink. I have had them follow the jig up and stop 10 feet below the boat looking at the jig only to grab it as soon as I threw it in freespool on the sink.

I caught a large thresher shark one night after it repeatedly whacked my falling PL 68 with it's tail. Not fun hooking one of those things in the tip of its tail...

I think some areas produce on the jigs better than other areas. I think areas with high populations of flying fish are good night jigging areas IMO.

Craziest part is when the fish is just below the surface circling and your rod is fully loaded up as your reefing on the thing, and all you and the crewman standing next to you with the gaff are focused on is that large, heavy jig hanging out of the side of the fishes face and hoping that 10/0 7691 single forged hook does not pull....

Attachments

• Best Trophy Fish Pics 013.jpg
      Best Trophy Fish Pics 013.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 258
    Upvote 0

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central California
    Name
    McRae
    Boat
    none
    When I fish a heavy jig I like to point the rod tip down and provide most of the action through the reel. Meaning I start of with the rod tip pointed at 4 or 5 on the clock and may raise the tip up to 3 or so. I'm using heavy line and a stiff rod that enables me to set the hook without raising the rod tip much if at all. However, once hooked up and after putting 5 to 8 turns on the reel handle I raise the rod tip to maximize the effectiveness of the rod in the fight.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat
    reel lady
    I like to cast mine out and let it drop. Then crank that reel like crazy. It gets away from the boat and you are covering more distance, instead of fishing right under the boat.

Upvote 0

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
    Feb 5, 2011
    Opelika Al USA
    Name
    quinn
    Boat
    exel last, next?
    at least I feel I know how to use the damm things now, thanks all!

Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
    Everything that is posted on here is accurate and true. In fact, BD (especially RubberHook) taught me everything I know about using the PL 68. And SactoTuna showed me how to do it. It paid off...225lbs. I dont reccomend using anything less than 100, pref 130. And maintain CONSTANT pressure, less you allow the jig to be spit out. IMO, Treble hooks wont hold up to fish like this.

Rubberhook, I owe you a beer. Sacto, I got your gift for our next trip, a fancy wahoo bomb....

BD.jpg

Upvote 0