etwizard

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2004
No California
Name
solomon
Boat
Free 4 All
Looks like everyone in the seven day range are fishing catch as catch can around kelps and islands. There has been a lot of talk and (buying) the Shimano fall flat lure. What's the field report on this. Anybody here fished it?
Would love to know.
Thanks
Solomon

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
I fished it with some success last year but traditional jigs or bait worked better for me; however, this year the majority of my fish, and all bluefin (2) have come on the flat fall jig. Even won the jackpot with one of the bluefin. I've had it hit on the sink, jigging them up and down, but most have come on a fast retrieve yoyo style. Could be that the bait has mostly sucked this year, but they have out fished bait for me this year hands down. Color doesn't seem to matter either.

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
Most recent trip, I can't remember if any tuna were actually caught on one. A prime sardine, butt hooked seemed to be the ticket. Several of us did hit some YT's on em. 100g anchovy fake fall, and the yellow Shimano version in 130g (?). Mine hit on the burn coming up after having jigged it close to the bottom a few times.

Reactions: chargerben619

FLIPPERBOY

Team Phenix Rods
Dec 13, 2005
Eastvale
Name
Dominic Bassi
Boat
Robalo 226 Cayman
I've had zero luck the them. Fished em in a wide open bite a week ago and could not get bit.

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
I caught some fish in July using the Flat Fall in the 100g Anchovy pattern. I actually had more success with the Colt Sniper Jigs though. Those were killer on the schoolie YFT.

-Connor

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
Flat fall jigs definitely catch fishermen.......... Only fish I've hooked on mine are a couple small starrys & white fish

Flatside vertical.... now those baby's put in WORK

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Flat fall jigs definitely catch fishermen.......... Only fish I've hooked on mine are a couple small starrys & white fish

Flatside vertical.... now those baby's put in WORK
Yep, caught me, but like most who use them we've caught fish. Myself, both rock cod and YT, I've not caught tuna or any other fish yet but there will be a day I will.

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
Blue fin were biting them on my 2 day trip in June out of seaforth, along with the cedar plug.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
They're the lure of this year, although by reports they do seem to work and at least at certain times work well.

So I've succumbed and bought 3 to try on my trip next month...IMHO they will end up being another tool in the tackle box joining my other jigs for those days when you want to have what the fish are biting.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Bought some, two of the 100 gram and a 130. Used one on a July 5 day, bit on the sink for a little 27 lb Yellowfin and won the darned JP! I made multiple drops throughout the day with a Blue/Chrome heavy single hook jig for nada. Caught most on bait. Like Brad said, another tool.

I am interested in trying them out with some different rigging options, line through the front to the back tied to a ringed circle hook. Hopefully the action stays the same and no biteoffs. Saw a 100+ lb Bluefin hooked on a 160 gram model and after 1/2 an hour, the fish chewed through the 60 lb fluorocarbon leader.

310littlebigal

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 2, 2011
Culver City/CA/LA
Name
Bird-dog
Well I was in a 5 dayer in July and watched 2 people catch 2 BFT over 60lbs. Both on the drop! Several other tuna were landed with Flat falls just not sure if they were Blues or Yellows. I fished a Tady hard and got nada!

Reactions: etwizard

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I got 2 nice BFT last tuesday. One on 130 glow and one on 130 purple. Cook got one on 130 purple. Another guy got 3 on 100 anchovy.

All on the sink. I did have one on and off on the retrieve.

Agree 100g coltsniper is killer on schoolie YFT. Even got 2 nice 20lb dodos on it.

I'm sold.

But old jigs still work great too. Problem is you have to pick a good one. All Shimano jigs fish the same. That is an advantage.

Chrisben

Sep 6, 2009
Las Vegas
Name
chris
Boat
none
I was on Sea adventure 80 in Aug. 3 bluefin caught on jigs, all 3 flatfalls. Nobody got fish on Tadys and they were fished. I even fished butterfly jigs and didn't get hit. Jackpot was 90lb bluefin on flatfall fluorescent.
Chris

Reactions: etwizard

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
The size of the flatfall jig you use should be dependent on line class and current.....and the fish. Sometimes they'll want something that flutters down fast and others slow. 100-160 seems to be about right for 40-50lb. That is my experience. I did not have any heavier to compare.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
A lot of the Jigging guys, myself included have been rigging the flatfalls butterfly style for greater action and less fish loss,lure loss ratio.

Remove the split ring with the hooks on it and put it on the front of the lure instead of the rear. Then attach an appropriate sized swivel like spro or owner to the split ring and attach your line to the other end of the swivel.
John T wrote up a good write up here on it:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/attaching-shimano-flat-fall-jig.593721/

flatfall.jpg

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Just of the Royal Star a couple days ago - spent two days on the bluefin grounds at the end of the trip. The flat fall's worked great the first day, but the second, bait seemed to be a little better. Was sharing my gear and between two of us caught 5 of the 8 bluefin we tagged with the same 130gr chartreuse/white flat fall. Initially rigged with the line thru the upper and lower eye with the split ring removed an tied to the end of the mono (50lb on a Penn 113N). Also fished it the way it comes out of the box (after almost losing it on deck when the line was cut to get out of a tangle on a gaffed fish) and couldn't tell any difference. The five fish were all 35-40lb models. The jackpot fish - 85-lb or so bluefin - was caught on a flat fall, but I didn't see which size or color.

Quite a few fish caught by other anglers using them - different colors and I did lose two blue sardine 130 grainers that also got bit. Both were due to doofus moves on my part - one a knot failure and the other a line break on a reel which had caught several yellowtail the previous days and should have been changed out before we hit the bluefin. Sometimes reminders on the basics of long ranging come at a price!!

Are these the be-all and end-all tuna lures - I seriously doubt that. Other more traditional jigs did get bit but a lot of the flat falls were being used. Like a couple of other guys have already said, the flat falls are a tool to go along with other jigs that have been proven to work as well.

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
I just got in from a quick trip on the supreme fishing that 30 to 50 pound bluefin on the back of San Clemente Island. I fished The flat fall with very good results. I fished the smaller Jig on 50 pound mono. The trick was casting it off the downwind corner and letting it fall until it was straight up-and-down and then winding it up and starting again. All my bites were on the sink and it felt like the jig hit the bottom when you got bit. Is it better than the tried and true blue and chrome? I don't know but I had good luck with it once I got it figured out
image.jpg

Reactions: hosstyle

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
It was new, out of the package.
I got lazy and didn't re tie on the other one and broke off a biggy too.
I did have several fish come undone too. I'm thinking that since it's getting bit on the sink , your not hooking them in the jaw like you would on the yo yo. Side of the face etc. and not getting as good a hook set. But it out fished bait 4-1 even with fish coming un buttoned.
Super fun way to fish, but you really had to pay attention and feel what was going on.
Almost like fishing a Senko for bass!

etwizard

Mar 29, 2004
No California
Name
solomon
Boat
Free 4 All
It was new, out of the package.
I got lazy and didn't re tie on the other one and broke off a biggy too.
I did have several fish come undone too. I'm thinking that since it's getting bit on the sink , your not hooking them in the jaw like you would on the yo yo. Side of the face etc. and not getting as good a hook set. But it out fished bait 4-1 even with fish coming un buttoned.
Super fun way to fish, but you really had to pay attention and feel what was going on.
Almost like fishing a Senko for bass!
Fantastic post! Thanks. Tim Turis post a piece where he retired the hooks to the head of the fall flat. He also added a swivel.l

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
Looks like everyone in the seven day range are fishing catch as catch can around kelps and islands. There has been a lot of talk and (buying) the Shimano fall flat lure. What's the field report on this. Anybody here fished it?
Would love to know.
Thanks
Solomon
I would have a few in my box,seem to work well in mornings on deep sonar marks.Most the boats i have ever fished ,live bait is the top producer,have to keep a keen eye out and see whats working.Kelp fishing i like coltsnipers better.I will fish livebait unless proven different.

Reactions: potuna

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
I asked the crew of the AA the same question on a 6 day in early august. I asked they would fish a Flat Fall or Tady TLC, they quietly said "its hard to beat a chrome TLC". No doubt the Flat Falls catch fish but I'm not convinced they are worth all the hype.
I was on the Royal Star 7 day end of August, flat falls in the dark and early morning were the best for bft. Fish were at 100-200 feet, later in the day bait or scramble egg yo yo worked best. I fished the hell out of blue and chrome and didn't get a nibble, your results may vary.