aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
All of these flutter type jigs are weighted unevenly to give the jig its motion. Ive seen people fish these with the heavy side down and visa versa. Which way works best or does it depend on the jig and if so how do you tell which way is up?

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
I do too. The reason I ask is my son fished a knife jig backwards from what I would have done and he whacked em earlier this week (eye down, weight up). 4 @ 100+. I didn’t realize he had fished it this way until I was putting stuff away and saw where the leader had been tied.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    They swim differently on the retrieve, but if they are falling on a slack line, or almost slack line with a tiny bit of contact with the fisherman, then they are going to flutter as designed. At least, that is what I have observed trying them out in various configurations in my pool.

These are reaction bite lures. They wiggle and get the fishes attention, and as Mike Gardner famously observed, "Fish Have No Hands." They put it in their mouths to see what it is, and if it is edible. And then in a half-second spit it out, most of the time. Which is why fishing with a truly slack line usually gets you scratches on your lures without a hook-up.

But fishing a lure in an unusual way to the human eye doesn't mean that a fish will instantly reject it. Think about the second man in the bass boat when the other guy first tried putting the hook through the middle of the plastic worm. How he must have laughed . . .

Upvote 0

aquaholic

Almost A Member
    Sep 19, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Anderson 22
    My son had really good luck getting into the zone (has marked line) then jigging up and down like a mad man. I guess in that scenario it doesn’t matter which end is up.

Reactions: SD2600
    Upvote 0

Latest posts