Dexter Outdoors

chxxfkxxfx

Mar 1, 2021
california
Name
Ryan
Boat
no boat
I’m somewhat new to offshore fishing and need some help identifying rods. Sorry if this question has been asked before, but what are the characteristics of a jig stick and a bait rod? What am I looking for in each rod to determine its purpose? In other words, how can I tell if a rod is meant for surface/yoyo or live bait?

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
jig slingers are usually 8ft+ and rated 30+. They will also load up and lock up different because they are made for casting a jig. Most have a pretty parabolic feel. bait rods will have a softer tip so you don't rip the hook out when casting. You can use any 6-8ft 40-60 rod for yoyo and it will do fine. Just go pull on the rods and see if it feels right.

Upvote 0

Justin Joy

Sep 7, 2019
Vista Ca
Name
Justin
Boat
None
Lots of information here and there Take my advise and get to a reputable shop and tug on a few rods. you will have fans of cal star seeker and united composite all are good rods but all are different rods. Jamie at Bob Sands will help guide you in the right direction pressure free. Budget is a good Idea as this can get expensive quick. I do not know how to tag someone on here but search for Bob Sands and he can be found there.

Most will say Min length is 8' for a jig stick which is right in my eyes 9 and 10'ers are tough to toss on a crowded boat. great for a boat with just you and some friends but a harder fight.

I personally like most all my rods in the 8' range. it works for me and they feel good when bent over fighting a fish.

Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    Length and action make the difference. Jigsticks are usually longer and parabolic, which helps with casting. Bait rods are usually shorter with a soft tip and fast action. The soft tip helps with casting live bait and the fast action helps with hook sets. Yoyo and vertical jigging (slowpitch) rods are even shorter, and ideally should have a moderate action and also have some reflex in the blank. These rods are meant to create the best presentation possible for your jig while not wearing out your body (lots and lots of info out there on this). Hope this helps but definitely gotta put your hands on the rods to really figure it out.

Upvote 0