Jig stick suggestions, Okuma, phenix, RCE

inthelip

Jul 4, 2006
san diego
Name
b
Boat Name
yours but I'll buy
Looking for a new jig stick, that is versatile. I want to be able to throw a 4oz sinking jig to a popper on it. has to be 8 or 9 ft and in the 30-60 line spec range.
Been looking at many rods but need some input to narrow it down. I already have an ulua that i have been fishing surface and popper on.

Thanks

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Well, for schoolie tunas and yellowtail (NOT the biggies) I have used poppers and surface lures successfully with spinning gear on both a Tallus TZS80 and a Teramar TMS86. Both rods are light and fun to use, and strong enough for fighting fish to 40# or so comfortably. They also make conventional versions of both rods. Not expensive, good value for what they are. Both are over six years old, no issues.

Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat Name
    none
    If you like the Ulua, try the ESM Ulua. It's composite. Graphite butt, glass tip.....but way lighter. I have both and it's noticable. My Ulua is the OC black glass ph 93h and my ESM is cut to 9'4....2" off the tip and the rest from the butt. Can fish light 50#.

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat Name
    Wish I Had One
    Caught numerous YT on surface iron with PCH C 801XH. My go to rod when at Cedros. Also a few yft in 2020 running south from Seaforth.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Chum_slicker
    Upvote 0

socalangler22

Yellowtail!!
  • May 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Steve-0
    Boat Name
    Not Yet
    If you want something that lighter try the Reaper or whatever they’re calling it now from UC. I got one and it’s a fun stick that can throw a jig a long way and has plenty of backbone
    9E I will always call it the reaper though lol. I would also consider a 9ft UC wahoo.

Reactions: Bob Sands
    Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Name
    Pat
    Boat Name
    Hobie kayak
    Tica JCLA80501c

$107 shipped on Amazon

I've had two for several years. Components still look pristine. Perfect wahoo rod for me. They also make 9-footers.

Upvote 0