Ryeboy86

Almost A Member
Feb 29, 2020
Yuma, AZ
Name
Ryan Moeller
Boat Name
None
I am seeking advice on which manufacturers you guy's recommend for best quality as far as jig quality, hooks used, line used to attach the hooks, etc. Are there any specific manufacturers you guy's would recommend above the others? I know there are A LOT of manufacturers out there! Just trying to seek some guidance!

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Johnny Jigs are high quality with beautiful paint. However, I always change the hooks to Owner assist hooks. To get hooks with bluefin ready hooks, you'll need to pay more than they are worth. Get jigs you like and just plan on replacing the hooks.

Reactions: Ryeboy86 and ripped
    Upvote 0

7emptsT

Jul 23, 2021
    California
    Name
    Tyson
    Boat Name
    Kayaks
    Lots of good jigs, are looking at Japanese? Sea Floor Control are really nice. I’m a big fan of the Nomad Designs Buffalo and streaker. JYG jigs work really well too.

Reactions: Ryeboy86
    Upvote 0

Ryeboy86

Almost A Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Yuma, AZ
    Name
    Ryan Moeller
    Boat Name
    None
    Johnny Jigs are high quality with beautiful paint. However, I always change the hooks to Owner assist hooks. To get hooks with bluefin ready hooks, you'll need to pay more than they are worth. Get jigs you like and just plan on replacing the hooks.

as far as jig with assist hook? The only one I am aware of is Ocean Tackle International.
    Thanks for the reply gentlemen! I'll have to look into getting snap ring pliers and the other tools needed to replace the hooks as well!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    OP you will get better responses if you can narrow it down a bit. BFT? Yo-Yo? Surface iron? Lings & Rock Fish?

Upvote 0

Ryeboy86

Almost A Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Yuma, AZ
    Name
    Ryan Moeller
    Boat Name
    None
    Lots of good jigs, are looking at Japanese? Sea Floor Control are really nice. I’m a big fan of the Nomad Designs Buffalo and streaker. JYG jigs work really well too.
    Thanks for the reply good sir! How was your fishing trip a few weeks ago? I remember we were both heading to Charkbait for some gear before our trips that weekend.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    For BFT better quality jigs I am partial to the Shout jigs. The Shotel is shorter/thicker kinda similar to the SK jig, but drops Very Fast. The Lance Heavy jig is a traditional longer fast-falling knife jig. These aren't readily available on the West Coast that I have found yet; I order mine online:

Both of these jigs got bit on my recent 3-Day on Intrepid:

IntrepidRod163Jig.jpeg

Here are a couple of pics of these jigs, and a few others for contrast. Pics Top to Bottom Shotel, Shotel, SK, Rip Roller, Rip Roller, Lance, Lance

BFTjigs2.jpg

And in the dark for grins:

BFTJigs.jpg

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat Name
    uh....
    Ryan, what type of quality are you looking for? Strength, finish/paint, swimming?

If you’re talking knife jigs, strength would be my biggest concern. I’d hate to lose a fish because the jig broke. From what I read, paint doesn’t seem to really matter much, and knife jigs don’t really have a swimming action.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Ryeboy86

Almost A Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Yuma, AZ
    Name
    Ryan Moeller
    Boat Name
    None
    For BFT better quality jigs I am partial to the Shout jigs. The Shotel is shorter/thicker kinda similar to the SK jig, but drops Very Fast. The Lance Heavy jig is a traditional longer fast-falling knife jig. These aren't readily available on the West Coast that I have found yet; I order mine online:

View attachment 1386650

Here are a couple of pics of these jigs, and a few others for contrast. Pics Top to Bottom Shotel, Shotel, SK, Rip Roller, Rip Roller, Lance, Lance

View attachment 1386651

View attachment 1386652
    Got me drooling over here!! LOL

Upvote 0

Ryeboy86

Almost A Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Yuma, AZ
    Name
    Ryan Moeller
    Boat Name
    None
    Ryan, what type of quality are you looking for? Strength, finish/paint, swimming?

If you’re talking knife jigs, strength would be my biggest concern. I’d hate to lose a fish because the jig broke. From what I read, paint doesn’t seem to really matter much, and knife jigs don’t really have a swimming action.
    Want a good action to attract the fish. Obviously it has to look purdy to catch their eye! LOL

• Haha
    Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

Ryeboy86

Almost A Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Yuma, AZ
    Name
    Ryan Moeller
    Boat Name
    None

View attachment 1386650

View attachment 1386651

View attachment 1386652
    Do the Shotel come pre-rigged? Or do you have to add the hooks to it?

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    Do the Shotel come pre-rigged? Or do you have to add the hooks to it?
    There not pre- rigged, super high quality Japanese made jig. I have some smaller models in 160- 200 gram models in the katy Perry glow pattern that has taken quite a few daytime bluefin. The larger models work well on nighttime bluefin. Got the smaller ones from John at Trophy tackle.

Upvote 0

Ryeboy86

Almost A Member
    Feb 29, 2020
    Yuma, AZ
    Name
    Ryan Moeller
    Boat Name
    None
    There not pre- rigged, super high quality Japanese made jig. I have some smaller models in 160- 200 gram models in the katy Perry glow pattern that has taken quite a few daytime bluefin. The larger models work well on nighttime bluefin. Got the smaller ones from John at Trophy tackle.
    So when you guy's say "Katy Perry" color.. Blue, White and Pink?

Upvote 0