Jig/Popper setups

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Fincutter, Jun 23, 2017.

1. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    10 day trips will be fine.
    An October 10 day is not a summer 4-5 day trip.

2. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Nice! I've never heard of Tenryu rods, so that's one more I'll have to look up. Thanks for the info and the pics.

scubaloco likes this.
  3. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Sorry to hear. Glad I decided to focus on early fall from now on (fits my work schedule better anyway).

4. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I just spent a couple of hours learning popper techniques from Master Yoda (Jamie) at Bob Sands. Thanks, Jaime, that was awesome. I learned a lot and can't wait to try it all out. Some of it was stuff I never would have learned elsewhere, and I'm always interested to try smart out-of-the-box ideas. Jaime is an engineer (as was my dad) and I love the analytical but non-conformist ways that creative engineers solve practical problems. I don't know what deckhands will have to say about all of this, but I've heard that sort of thing before and am not afraid to buck convention. Anyway, kudos and thanks x a million to Jamie and the Bob Sands shop.

Dcpac, Bob Sands, scubaloco and 2 others like this.
  5. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Just noticed this recent Lupe 125lb YFT that was taken on a popper onboard the RS with a 2-speed narrow conventional reel (not sure but it looks like a Daiwa). YFT were boiling all around the boat but wouldn't eat the sardines (they were acting like finicky boat shy BFT) so this angler threw a large popper at them... got bit and yes he landed it! Chalk another one up for "conventional" wisdom. ;)

BTW those super healthy Lupe 100lb class YFT are as tough as they get... IMO, way more natural HP and fight in them than any BFT you are ever going to hook of equal size.

G

125lb YFT On Popper.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Retired1 likes this.
  6. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    In no place in the entire world, outside of So Cal, do serious Popper fisherman use conventional reels to throw poppers....

Yes I can see the cost aspect to get a proper Spinning Popper setup (there are no proper conventional popper setups for large pelagic species as that is not what they are made for) but look at it this way....

For about 30-50% more than a normal conventional setup you can buy a used Stella /popper setup ($650 for a used Stella 10-20k ,250-350 for the true popping rod)

The reels really dont lose their value if you buy them used. You may not use it on a few trips or even for a entire season, but you wish you had one when the opportunity presents itself....They require hardly any maintenance either...
    I bought a Stella 18k in 2009 and have never had one service done to it, I barely even wash it down ..with over 1000 fish on that reel.

Yes maybe the Spinning reel is not the perfect situation on a stationary LR boat due to the non railing aspect : but, who cares, You only live once....
    Plunk down the cash ,whip out the credit card and buy one. Get a true popper setup, have some fun and your life may never be the same.

7. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    You could say the same thing about throwing jigs... not too many places around the world that use conventional reels for that application either (be light or heavy jigs). It has a lot to do with fishing on large stationary sport boats with a rail that surrounds their deck (I don't think you are going to find our type of sport fishing boats in other places of the world... if you do be sure let us know as many here who have a bunch of money invested in gear that works well would be interested... especially considering what's happening with Mexico eliminating fishing grounds).

And up until super braided lines were invented VERY few larger grade tuna were EVER caught on spin reels. Super braided lines changed the game for ALL involved including conventional reels that can now be used in smaller sizes with lighter forged aluminum spools that have the line capacity and drag systems to cast lighter fin bait and plugs as well as land that larger size more powerful tuna once hooked. And with a bit of practice the average angler can throw a larger size popper or stick bait pretty far, and IMO with way better accuracy as you can control the artificial once flying through the air much better than you can with a spin reel. On the fighting end of the equation the conventional reel (especially a 2-speed) is FAR superior to the fragile spin reel purely by design ... especially so when fishing on a SD based LR fishing boat. I make this point rather firmly because this is the SD Long Range Fishing Forum. As I have stated numerous times before: you will not find a SD based LR boat that recommends spin gear on their website, there are numerous good reasons for this. Not saying that it is impossible to land 125lb to 200lb YFT or even BFT with spin gear on an LR boat... just saying the odds are seriously against you based on the platform you are fishing of off and the design of the tools being used.

G

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Bill W likes this.
  8. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    No Problem Garry ...
    As stated I said "Serious" Popper fisherman....Prefer Spinning gear...

Just trying to provide some various options/thoughts for those willing to step away from old school and West Coast.

You are correct about the fight on a stationary platform .
    Of course conventional 2 speeds are way easier when fighting a fish,
    Of course LR captains cringe when they see the Spin gear come out....

But there is something about the sound of a Stella or Dogfight Drag when hooked on a good fish that just popped your popper or jig.

It is a sound that dreams are made of... Worry about the fight later -that is just the after party.

you only live once

9. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Go for it! And be sure to post your results here on this forum... I'll be the first to congratulate any angler that lands a 100lb+ to 200lb+ YFT on spin gear fishing onboard a SD based LR boat as I truly know how tough that feat is to accomplish.

Just wanted to keep it real... especially so for the newbies considering outfits to tackle 100lb+ YFT or even BFT on poppers while fishing on an LR boat. As long as they fully understand that the odds of landing a larger 100lb+ - 200lb+ YFT are rather low and require spot on fighting technique then more power to them. IMO, they also really need to know that spin gear is WAY more susceptible to angler induced damage than is conventional gear as there are many hard, rough obstacles to overcome including other anglers when that larger grade YFT/BFT takes you around the boat or from bow to stern (90+ feet) on that stationary platform at minimum.

Tight lines and blue skies!

G

Bill W likes this.
  10. jim isbell

jim isbell Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    My Qantum has---65 pounds--verified drag and you are right. On the other hand, I have seen huge fish with drag settings much lower, like 30-40 beating a huge blue fin; fact is, heavy drag, short time fight, for sure better than on all day.

Retired1 likes this.
  11. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    I have the size one smaller than you, (the 100) an IT is rated at 65 pounds of drag. One question though, I have heard that the 120 and the 100 are the same reel, just different spools--is that true? Same source says the 60 and 80 are the same deal and I think their 40/50 size is the same thing, same reels, different sized spool. I have not confirmed that with Quantum, and it matters cause I was going to order a 2nd spool, so while at it, why not get the size up spool, in my case the 120 spool.

Retired1 likes this.
  12. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    The reason what you pointed out is hard to argue with--is line capacity. With 65 pounds of drag--verified--my Quantum PTSE 100 Spinning Reel beats most conventional reels, YET, there is no doubt who wins the capacity wars. And in an anchored boat, you sure as shit can't chase em. I get over 500 yards of 100 pound braid on my big Cabo, yet that pales in comparison to one of many conventional reels and a big blue fin or yellow fin can swallow 500 yards pretty quick; on the other hand, and again, 65 pounds of drag IS a hell of a lot of drag even for those big boys.

Retired1 likes this.
  13. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    Reading the Specs for the reels it looks like what you said. Before I bought mine I was thinking the same thing about the spool that the 120 kept more line that's the reason I got mine. Maybe You buy one from a reputable dealer that you can return or exchange with no charge just in case. If i could remember I paid $81 plus shipping for the 120. The biggest fish I caught was a marlin about 80lbs on a 10 day LR trip just this Nov with power pro 65 and top 40 lb floro about 5 ft. Brought the fish in in about 10 minutes and released.

14. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    I ordered the 120 spool, the plan is 100 pound braid, 80 pound fluoro, Carnage 2, their 6' heavy jigging rod rated at 80-200 braid. The idea is reef fishing where I'm told if you get hit by a big fish, there may be nothing much you can do if it buries the jig into the rocks, but this is a good way to start. The rod by the way, just came today in the mail--looks and feels great.

Retired1 likes this.
  15. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    i have the same rod set up also if you are going for big fish get a rod holder and lower back brace cos we cant use the rail.
    Last month I used it on a 10 day LR trip Larry Brown on the Intrepid. I used it as my fly line n metal rod and the biggest fish was a 70 to 80 Lb Marlin and brought it to boat in 10 minutes and released it.I could cast further and more accurately and even change spool with the extra spool I had with straight 40 lb mono on it. When we were warned the night before about big tuna the next day I didn't have the guts to stay on the set up so I went back to my conventional reel not wanting to miss my catch of a lifetime. The good Lord did give me a chance to harvest one my best so far 236.6 lb yellow fin tuna pictured above in the avatar. Now that I have caught this next time I would try it on a spinner having experience of this catch.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Fishybuzz and Bob Sands like this.
  16. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    I hear you on all that--I don't use a rail rod (to each his own), and I don't pass off the rod, not yet anyway. I saw a guy with a rig like mine, with rod holder and no brace, take a 300 blue fin, himself. Balanced gear, when that big fish ran he just let it run with arms straight out and locked. Really proved what balanced tackle can mean, how guys get out there, with the rod tucked under their arm, or crammed in their stomach--or worse, and make it at all is a miracle. No wonder they pass off six or more times, how the hell else can you handle a big fish that way?

17. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Just make sure you test your drag ahead of time so you know how much you can put on the fish. Had a guy take over 2 hours on a fish because his drag was set at 18lb or something. Minimum mid 20's, I set the drag in the high 20s or low 30s

Retired1 likes this.
  18. Atuna

Atuna Salt

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Whatever floats
    Rod holder, Back Brace, Spider Harness, Check, check and check.
    Drag being checked...
    Check.jpg

Retired1 and Olddog8 like this.
  19. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Back brace is not a good idea, I've done that. I never have back problems and using that harness nearly killed my back during the fight. It needs to be used while sitting, not standing. And yes check the drag while wearing the harness. 40lb is completely doable.

20. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    I carry a scale on the boat now, pretty accurate. It's hard to believe how high I can dial it up to on my two modern spinning reels--50 on one, 65 on the other; of course we both know you never go that high, but it means you don't have to strain the system to hit mid 20's or even higher.

Retired1 likes this.