Jig master 500 and old 90j combo - opinion?

Aug 2, 2017
Central California
Name
BMart
Boat
Livingstons
The jig master is stock, used once circa 2007.

The 90j is the big beefy older one circa 90 something probably.

I have plenty of other “high end” reels and rods,jigstick etc… but does this combo make sense as an old school surface iron set up? Wanted to have something that might feel a little more rustic and an ode to the past… thoughts? Opinions?

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    That was my exact setup for years except the jigmaster had a 99 narrow kit and it was flawless for me.

Bradley Martin
    Bradley Martin
    Do you know where these kits are available? Also, do you have a specific name for the kit? I’ll post a WTB thread, sounds like a fun project.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Bradley I think tiburon engineering still makes the 99 kit which consists of a narrowed frame and spool but their website has been down awhile so you have to call 714-556-7553.
    If that doesnt work email Randy Pauly and see if he might have some old stock @[email protected]
    Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Spear or rod

• Aug 31, 2008
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tommy T
    Boat
    Anything that floats
    Why wouldn’t you! Always have this handy even w/every Fthm known to man in my quiver. No idea how many tons of fish this little fucker has killed! It’s a 505 but now I’m going to bring it too on my 5 day Vag for shits & giggles. Thx for thread.

2D107CF7-971A-4923-8488-2D95A08C5494.jpeg

Bradley Martin
    Bradley Martin
    Epic! The frame and spool seem necessary. I’ll see what I come up with, excited to put the combo to use for some metal eaters….good luck!
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The Penn 500 worked very well with the jigs that it was casting, because it had a slow retrieve and the old jigs had slow kicks. Come on, newer reels with higher retrieves outfished it since the '70's. You cast your 500 and retrieve a nice JRI 7 or Tady 45 and try to get a yellowtail interested. Then pick up the same rod and lure with a newer design reel (there are two dozen available) and watch the yellowtail chase and pounce.

Reactions: Bradley Martin
    Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 20, 2011
    Thornton
    Name
    Chuck Mc
    Boat
    none
    Tiberon frame on a 506.
    Of course. I would dump the stock gears for newer, better SS ones, a SS yoke, and add a Bryan Young 5+1 drag stack. Maybe stretch it to the 99 size with an Accurate or Tib frame and spool depending on it's anticipated use. Otherwise, I'd save it for 1/2 or 3/4 day trips and loaner gear. Or as @skrilla suggested... doorstop!

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Of course. I would dump the stock gears for newer, better SS ones, a SS yoke, and add a Bryan Young 5+1 drag stack. Maybe stretch it to the 99 size with an Accurate or Tib frame and spool depending on it's anticipated use. Otherwise, I'd save it for 1/2 or 3/4 day trips and loaner gear. Or as @skrilla suggested... doorstop!
    Well they are not really heavy enough to make a good door stop.

Your right. Don't spend money on the old "technology" when there are many better options available.

I am old and grew up with "hot rodding" the old Penn stuff so I still have plenty of gear from those days that I like to pull out once in a while when I'm feeling nostalgic. I even still fish some fiberglass rods 😲.

Reactions: dalurker
    M
    Mtnfshr
    Yeah. Those were great times! I was in San Diego last September and didn't want to lug my glass rods with me. I took some, and bought some others when I was out there. I did take a hotrodded YTS though and some Progears...😁 Jim,@titan05 loaned me 6 rods for my Tomahawk trip. Great guy!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
    Jul 5, 2004
    Dublin, CA
    Name
    Harold Head
    Boat
    1971 BW Menemsha
    On my last trip out I used a Jigmaster with a super narrow kit that I got thru Randy Pauly @ Vintage. But here in NorCal I'm not going to run into a tuna by accident so all the upgraded old school stuff is still the bomb. Including all the ProGear reels.
    If I go fishing twice a day for the rest of my life I'll never run out of reels, lol.

Reactions: marlyn and Mtnfshr
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    A Jigmaster will still work and there will be parts for it available years down the road.Also so easy to maintain.It would probably outlast anything modern.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Brotha man...Jig masters🤙🏼 KILL FISH!!!! Back in the day when tanking out your Penn's we're all we could really do! I went nuts! I've still got my original 2 tanked out jig masters. And they catch EVERYTIME! I will admit tho I slowly but surly completely accuplated out, My favorite one. The only original part on it, is the star. And an old 90j is a deadly combo! You should be golden Chucking that iron!! Yea the fight might take a bit longer but nothing beats bringing in a big one on the classics tried and true. Now tho my accuplated 500 goes on every iron trip. And is the go to when all else fails the jigmaster catches. Accuplate really made that classic a bulit proof reel. With its slightly narrowed frame. 👌🏼
    IMG_5846.PNG

Last edited:
    Drew Stephens
    Drew Stephens
    Can you still buy these parts?
    Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0
    SMYLEE
    SMYLEE
    Yes I believe you can. You can even color swap frames and side plates. For example = silver frame with purple side plates and a gold spool. There's quite a bit you can change if you'd like. Have fun! Honestly everyone who sees it wants to sling it. And after that. They start their own build!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
    Jul 5, 2004
    Dublin, CA
    Name
    Harold Head
    Boat
    1971 BW Menemsha
    That's purty Smylee. I have a silver Accurate 501 I bought from Randy that I haven't fished yet. I can't wait to rotate thru my reels after I move.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    That's purty Smylee. I have a silver Accurate 501 I bought from Randy that I haven't fished yet. I can't wait to rotate thru my reels after I move.
    Yea I've been considering building or buying a 501 version as well. I bought this in increments as I could afford it way back in the day. They are killer iron slinging reels! With the ultamite upgrade drag stacks... this thing is built to last. My guess brotha is you're guna love it! Once you get its spool speed dialed in for you Cheery👌🏼. Just got to find your sweet spot with it! Or that spool will spin forever.
    That 501 has always eluded my impulse buy. But I'll snatch one up or build one sooner or later!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Latest posts