Jig color

PENN
Aug 22, 2009
fullerton, ca, USA
Name
adam
Boat
none
Was thinking about picking up a couple Shimano colt Sniper jigs tomorrow for Saturday, heading out of dana twards the 209, any suggestions on colors? I was thinking the white /silver and the blue sardine color or possibly the pink /blue, all in 80 gram.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    It sounds to me like you are on the right track. I prefer the Megabaits myself, but there are a lot of good metal jigs from a number of brands that all work fine. Hope you have a good trip.

Reactions: D16hunter
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Was thinking about picking up a couple Shimano colt Sniper jigs tomorrow for Saturday, heading out of dana twards the 209, any suggestions on colors? I was thinking the white /silver and the blue sardine color or possibly the pink /blue, all in 80 gram.
    I pick up three of the 100 gram ' they are like 3 1/2 OZ I like the mack one too. for my 2 day coming up

Upvote 0
    Aug 22, 2009
    fullerton, ca, USA
    Name
    adam
    Boat
    none
    I have a few megabits jigs in sardine and anchovies flavors, going to be throwing them with my 300 curado on a 7'11" xh crucial with 50lb izor braid and 25lb seguar floro. My other rod is a custom 15lb St Croix acid wrapped with micros and a 200 curado with 40lb izor braid and 20lb seguar floro. Should be fun on the small yellows around here and I'm not scared to drop the 300 down for a tuna, both reels have carbontex drags :)

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    I have a few megabits jigs in sardine and anchovies flavors, going to be throwing them with my 300 curado on a 7'11" xh crucial with 50lb izor braid and 25lb seguar floro. My other rod is a custom 15lb St Croix acid wrapped with micros and a 200 curado with 40lb izor braid and 20lb seguar floro. Should be fun on the small yellows around here and I'm not scared to drop the 300 down for a tuna, both reels have carbontex drags :)
    Keep in mind there are some larger tuna around... There is a reason that they call your gear "bass" gear. Good luck!

Last edited:
    Reactions: finsane
    Upvote 0

finsane

Jabroni
    Oct 11, 2005
    California
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat
    None
    A guy at a tackle shop sold me a pair of the the blue over white/silver. He put the siswash hook on them, we leave in a couple weeks on a 2 1/2 dayer. Also got a pair of Halco jigs too.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
    Aug 6, 2012
    Valencia, CA
    Name
    Anthony Hicks
    Boat
    Good Deal
    Yeah I realize that it's bass gear but I like to push the limits of light line fishing! 175yds of braid and 22lbs of drag isn't enough? Lol
    No. On a long soak for bft you may already have 100 plus yards of line out when you get bit. If you get picked up by a nice bft your going to get spooled or your going to blow up your reel after the third or fourth 100 plus yard run...

But your right, if the setups are strictly for small yellows your fine...

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    Put a small tag on your bait that reads, " NO BLUEFIN".
    This should stop you from getting spooled.

Reactions: dylank9
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Ignorance? Would you rather loose the fish or get spooled and lose all your line? I don't have 6 rods to fish, have to make the best of what I have for now.

Oh I'm gonna go undergunned and just break fish off. That's ignorant. Fishing bluefin with 175 yards of anything. That's ignorant. Do you realize that these fish don't come around every year?

I'd rather go after the fish with the proper tackle, that's what I'd rather do. Sounds like you'd rather be fucked to begin with. I have two choices, get spooled or thumb the spool. Seems super gay to me. You said you have heavier gear on board. Use that.

Upvote 0

D16hunter

Feb 21, 2014
    Try megabaits I've caught hundreds off fish on em. Your gonna have you drag strip if you use bass gear I've had the gears stripped on two Abu Garcia ambassedeurs on 30 lb yellows making their runs and I was wasn't even fishing for them. their great reels but not for anything over 20 lbs. if your gonna use bass gear you better have the money to replace it. Or you could be smart and get a jigmaster those things will take on just about anything and win

Upvote 0
    Aug 22, 2009
    fullerton, ca, USA
    Name
    adam
    Boat
    none
    I upgraded the drags and bearings in both reels, I have a few megabits and a torium on a 30lb stick with 65lb braid. The bass gear is for the yellows and smaller tuna, I really want to get a 20lb or so tuna in the 300, I got a 25lb albacore on 40lv and that was not fun with the drag locked down lol.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You started the thread by saying you were heading out from Dana on Saturday towards the 209. That told me you are going to be on a private boat, not bringing bass gear on a sportfisher which is very inconsiderate to the other anglers in a big tuna bite. So go ahead, enjoy the challenge! Once down in Baja I got into a hot yellowfin bite on a panga, and had a ball seeing if I could get them in with ever-lighter gear. And then suddenly Big Brother showed up and took 200 yards of line in about twenty seconds, we couldn't even get the panga started in time let alone think about chasing, which was the fall-back tactic that I had been planning. I can still close my eyes and see the water drops flying off the line as it got stretched until it broke. And of course the drag was fried. I hope you get a chance to make some memories!

Reactions: hawkplayer32
    Upvote 0