Jessica Sportfishing 06/19-06/20

Jreaping

Apr 8, 2019
California
Name
Josh Anderson
Boat
Native Watercraft Titan
Had another amazing two days of fishing with Jaime from Jessica Sportfishing. The original target species for this trip was yellowfin tuna but after talking to Jaime the first day it looks like our plans were going to change. The tuna were about 40 miles off shore and the wind was was too strong to deal with getting out there. So, we decided to stay inshore and focus on grouper, snapper and roosterfish. I’m very glad that we did because the decision paid off for both days. The first day started out by loading up on bait which consisted of mullet and sardines. After we got bait we headed to our first spot and dropped a mullet on the down rigger. Within 10 minutes of fishing the first spot were hooked up on our first grouper. This was the first time that my buddy and myself have targeted grouper, so it was a complete surprise when that first fish hit the deck. It was massive. Jaime said that our first grouper was a lot bigger than normal, so I wasn’t expecting them to get much bigger…that was until we hooked into the second grouper. This second grouper was my turn to reel in. After letting it chomp on the bait for a bit were hooked up. Immediately line starts peeling off, so I increase the drag and start horsing this fish up off the bottom. It felt like a very nice fish on the initial pull, so I didn’t want to lose it in the rocks. Thankfully I was able to get off the bottom quickly and fight it in a higher water column. These fish fight hard! We finally get this fish to the surface and my buddy’s jaw hits the floor when Jaime brings the grouper on deck. It was even bigger than the first one! When we got back to the marina, we had it weighed at Gricelda’s Smokehouse. The final weight came in at 51 pounds. Not a bad sized fish to catch for your first grouper right?. After this fish we ended up getting two more grouper about the same size as the first to limit out all before 9a. Now that we had our limit on grouper, Jaime decides that we should go for snapper, so we slowly head up the pacific side of the coast to the next spot. It took us a while to get to the next spot because the wind was getting very strong. We finally arrived at the location and pitch a couple baits near some rocks but unfortunately, no snapper were around. After pitching some baits for a while, we decide to drift back down the coast and troll a live mullet on the surface. While trolling the live mullet on the surface we were able to hook up and land 6 very nice sized roosterfish. It’s was very cool to see the topwater explosion when a big rooster smashes the bait. All the roosters that we caught were very nice size but after a 45 minute fight my buddy managed to land a 50+ pound rooster. At one point in the fight Jaime decided to chase after the fish to get some line back because it was getting very close to spooling the reel. After the saying goodbye to the big rooster, we decided to change up the target species and fish for dorado. Jaime got word that there were a few around the area so we decided to use the remaining time left in our trip to troll back before heading into the marina. We did not find any dorado while trolling back in, but we were able to land a smaller sized striped marlin. Not a bad way to end day 1.

Day 2 starts out the same as the day 1 but much windier. The wind is already ripping before we get started so Jaime decides that we should only do a half day since were not able to cover much distance. We head back to the same location we started at on day 1. We drop a bait down on the down rigger and within 20 minutes were hooked up! Unfortunately, we lose this fish to the rocks. My buddy was reeling in the fish but didn’t hammer down the drag in order to pull it off the bottom. He was bummed because it felt like a very nice fish. That first fish was definitely a learning curve. After getting some very good advice from Jaime he was able to redeem himself on the second hook up and did a great job of getting the fish off the bottom and we successfully landed it. After losing a second fish to user error and premature hook set, we manage to get another nice grouper before the bite completely shuts off. We had the opportunity to limit out on grouper again, but we did not deliver like the first day. After doing a few more trolls we switch locations but still not any action. Since we were doing a half day instead of the full day we are running low on time so Jaime decides that we should try and do some vertical jigging for large yellowtail. We weren’t able to get any yellowtail on the vertical jig but did manage to land a skipjack that Jaime was able to keep for bait the following day. Overall, we had a very good time with Jaime. I’ve fished with Jaime several times now and every time he delivers! He works very hard to put you on fish and is very good at what he does. I would highly recommend contacting him the next time your down in Cabo.

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2872.mov
    937.4 KB · Views: 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Had another amazing two days of fishing with Jaime from Jessica Sportfishing. The original target species for this trip was yellowfin tuna but after talking to Jaime the first day it looks like our plans were going to change. The tuna were about 40 miles off shore and the wind was was too strong to deal with getting out there. So, we decided to stay inshore and focus on grouper, snapper and roosterfish. I’m very glad that we did because the decision paid off for both days. The first day started out by loading up on bait which consisted of mullet and sardines. After we got bait we headed to our first spot and dropped a mullet on the down rigger. Within 10 minutes of fishing the first spot were hooked up on our first grouper. This was the first time that my buddy and myself have targeted grouper, so it was a complete surprise when that first fish hit the deck. It was massive. Jaime said that our first grouper was a lot bigger than normal, so I wasn’t expecting them to get much bigger…that was until we hooked into the second grouper. This second grouper was my turn to reel in. After letting it chomp on the bait for a bit were hooked up. Immediately line starts peeling off, so I increase the drag and start horsing this fish up off the bottom. It felt like a very nice fish on the initial pull, so I didn’t want to lose it in the rocks. Thankfully I was able to get off the bottom quickly and fight it in a higher water column. These fish fight hard! We finally get this fish to the surface and my buddy’s jaw hits the floor when Jaime brings the grouper on deck. It was even bigger than the first one! When we got back to the marina, we had it weighed at Gricelda’s Smokehouse. The final weight came in at 51 pounds. Not a bad sized fish to catch for your first grouper right?. After this fish we ended up getting two more grouper about the same size as the first to limit out all before 9a. Now that we had our limit on grouper, Jaime decides that we should go for snapper, so we slowly head up the pacific side of the coast to the next spot. It took us a while to get to the next spot because the wind was getting very strong. We finally arrived at the location and pitch a couple baits near some rocks but unfortunately, no snapper were around. After pitching some baits for a while, we decide to drift back down the coast and troll a live mullet on the surface. While trolling the live mullet on the surface we were able to hook up and land 6 very nice sized roosterfish. It’s was very cool to see the topwater explosion when a big rooster smashes the bait. All the roosters that we caught were very nice size but after a 45 minute fight my buddy managed to land a 50+ pound rooster. At one point in the fight Jaime decided to chase after the fish to get some line back because it was getting very close to spooling the reel. After the saying goodbye to the big rooster, we decided to change up the target species and fish for dorado. Jaime got word that there were a few around the area so we decided to use the remaining time left in our trip to troll back before heading into the marina. We did not find any dorado while trolling back in, but we were able to land a smaller sized striped marlin. Not a bad way to end day 1.

Day 2 starts out the same as the day 1 but much windier. The wind is already ripping before we get started so Jaime decides that we should only do a half day since were not able to cover much distance. We head back to the same location we started at on day 1. We drop a bait down on the down rigger and within 20 minutes were hooked up! Unfortunately, we lose this fish to the rocks. My buddy was reeling in the fish but didn’t hammer down the drag in order to pull it off the bottom. He was bummed because it felt like a very nice fish. That first fish was definitely a learning curve. After getting some very good advice from Jaime he was able to redeem himself on the second hook up and did a great job of getting the fish off the bottom and we successfully landed it. After losing a second fish to user error and premature hook set, we manage to get another nice grouper before the bite completely shuts off. We had the opportunity to limit out on grouper again, but we did not deliver like the first day. After doing a few more trolls we switch locations but still not any action. Since we were doing a half day instead of the full day we are running low on time so Jaime decides that we should try and do some vertical jigging for large yellowtail. We weren’t able to get any yellowtail on the vertical jig but did manage to land a skipjack that Jaime was able to keep for bait the following day. Overall, we had a very good time with Jaime. I’ve fished with Jaime several times now and every time he delivers! He works very hard to put you on fish and is very good at what he does. I would highly recommend contacting him the next time your down in Cabo.

View attachment 1292757

View attachment 1292774

View attachment 1292780

View attachment 1292781

View attachment 1292782

View attachment 1292783
    Some steller fishing going on down your way, nice pic;s! :appl:

Upvote 0

LarryHaynes

Love to fish!
  • Jun 22, 2010
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    Name
    Larry Haynes
    Boat
    None
    Sounds like you guys had a great day on the water. Congrats!

Fishing tomorrow and Sunday with him.

Crossing my fingers that the winds chill a little.

Have fished with him exclusively for 10 years, and he’s never been late or a no-show.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jreaping
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Thanks for the report, the wife n I fly out tomorrow morning.. Sooooo pumped!

Reactions: Jreaping
    Upvote 0