oceanjake

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat Name
36’ Tiara Express
looking for any info about these boats or the yard they were made in. Pretty sure it was a so cal company. My parents just purchased a 32 sportfisher with V-drives and a very low profile. Seems well designed, but no literature on them that I can find.any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat Name
44 luhrs dreamer
I think they were done in the marina del Rey area,Glass over plywood,Dale like V drives,thought it was more easy to push the bow down than lift it up.Tom

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    Jeffries was technically in Venice, CA. MDR was not even thought of when they started. At some point they moved to San Ysidro - don't know when. Brothers Dale and Dan were the founders in 1937 IIRC. They pretty much pioneered glass over ply building which those who followed (Seaway, Elliot, Drake and more) advanced even further. Jeffries built the first LA Baywatch boat in he early 50s. There are still a few Jeffries around here in Long Beach.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SkipJack Boats
    Upvote 0

Bella star

Oct 13, 2014
    South of Conception
    Name
    Briggs
    Boat Name
    Anderson 26
    The first LA County rescue boats were Drakes.
    Built technically in Mar Vista, they were next door to Jeffries yard also in Mar Vista.
    Now known as Marina Adjacent.
    I remember as a kid stealing scrap mahogany ply strips to have camp fires in the wetlands area. HA HA....

Reactions: SkipJack Boats
    Upvote 0

oceanjake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2005
    Long Beach
    Name
    Jake
    Boat Name
    36’ Tiara Express
    IMG_0680.PNG
    Wow thanks for all of the info! To the best of everyone's knowledge were they all glass over ply? This one is a 1976 and looks to be all glass. Built like a tank for sure. Needs a lot of exterior tlc. Mechanically someone actually kept up on it.

Upvote 0
    Dec 1, 2022
    Fort Lauderdale Florida
    Name
    Scott Scott
    Boat Name
    Sir Simon
    Jeffries was technically in Venice, CA. MDR was not even thought of when they started. At some point they moved to San Ysidro - don't know when. Brothers Dale and Dan were the founders in 1937 IIRC. They pretty much pioneered glass over ply building which those who followed (Seaway, Elliot, Drake and more) advanced even further. Jeffries built the first LA Baywatch boat in he early 50s. There are still a few Jeffries around here in Long Beach.
    while doing research for my memoirs I came across this site. I actually worked at for Dale Jeffries in the mid Fifties at the venice yard. Dale took on a partner and they started to produce the 35' and 44' hulls. Ted Eliott was the foreman for Dale. The company went bankrupt and the hulls under construction were auctioned off. A business man, Fran Weinberg, from Santa Monica purchased the 44' hull and moved it to his factory in Santa Monica. Fran Hired Ted Eliott and Mac McCauley to finish the boat. Upon completion Ted Elliott started to build under his name. His first contract was for Gil Wayne of Newport Beach a 53' hull to be named "Dolly". The first true Eliott was a 62' for Eddie Goldstein to be named Little G. Dale started again building boats on Linclon Blvd Now Marina del rey
    about 1965-66. Dale also built the sportfishing fleet for the Hotel cabo San Lucas in the early days. Dale liked to experiment with engines and the cold molded construction process.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    while doing research for my memoirs I came across this site. I actually worked at for Dale Jeffries in the mid Fifties at the venice yard. Dale took on a partner and they started to produce the 35' and 44' hulls. Ted Eliott was the foreman for Dale. The company went bankrupt and the hulls under construction were auctioned off. A business man, Fran Weinberg, from Santa Monica purchased the 44' hull and moved it to his factory in Santa Monica. Fran Hired Ted Eliott and Mac McCauley to finish the boat. Upon completion Ted Elliott started to build under his name. His first contract was for Gil Wayne of Newport Beach a 53' hull to be named "Dolly". The first true Eliott was a 62' for Eddie Goldstein to be named Little G. Dale started again building boats on Linclon Blvd Now Marina del rey
    about 1965-66. Dale also built the sportfishing fleet for the Hotel cabo San Lucas in the early days. Dale liked to experiment with engines and the cold molded construction process.
    Thx - Great info!

Please be so kind to post a link to your memoirs when you have them together. Love the local history!

Upvote 0