Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
September 4-5, Jaws III on the Toronado
10 Bluefin 37 Yellowtail 1 Mako
Before I get to our fish story I’ve got to say something about the Captain, Ray. “He fishes hard”. We left Pierpoint at around 8PM, got to the tuna grounds about 4AM and didn’t stop fishing until about 10PM. Half a dozen die hards still got their lines in the water so Ray tells us that he’s going to find another school. We drop our lines but by 11:30PM almost everyone was done and below deck. I get up around 2:30AM to pee and find two guys on the rail fishing hard. Thinking these two guys had lost their minds I asked them if they were OK? One of the guys, Edwin said Ray was marking fish at 1:30AM and announced it on the loud speaker. So instead of going back to my warm bunk I join the two crazies on the rail and dream of cows chomping on my flatfall. Then around 3:30AM we make a small move and by 4AM, 31 guys are on the rail. Did I say “Ray fishes hard!”
Now our story. Almost everyone knows now that you don’t bring a knife to a gunfight for these big boys. So what do you bring to a 10’ plus makofight? Young, we thought had a big boy that bit the secret setup, a fresh frozen giant squid from H Mart, 10/0 circle and a 200# crimped leader, but after 15 minutes we’re surprised by Jaws III Live and he’s surprised to see us too. He zigs about 20’ off the starboard rail and I’d normally say in a blink of an eye but since sharks don’t blink, he zags like a bolt of lightning. And rams and rocks the Toro with a sound I’ll never forget. 25 guys, especially four that were in the direct path, Edwin-Ira-Jay-Kent, go from awe to heart stopping terror. If the Toro sat another foot lower or the mako jumped a foot higher, our trip would be over, some lives too. We were lucky to witness pure power, terror and live to tell the story, Thank God. Jaws I, is one of my all time favorite movies to watch over and over. Jaws III, I had a front row-rail seat and hope I never see it again...
So what’s the answer to the question? Bring a knife to a 10’ makofight and cut the line immediately.
Especially if you want to respect Rule 1 of fishing. Rule 1, everyone onboard leaves safely and returns safely.
3 of the Bluefin were caught on giant squid while the other smaller 7 were on jigs. If you want to play with the big boys, go to an asian market and pick up a box of them. Others will gladly share the cost if you bring extra. Unfortunately I didn’t get the memo on this but did hear and see 4-5 guys get short bit ( legs and partial head gone ) and bit, bent but not hooked so sharper longer hooks might be a solution. Going to have Peter at Richards Tackle rig and set me up for my next shot. I got the memo now.
Last and least to report. I’m not prejudiced against yellows, just have a severe and hopefully incurable case of bluefin fever for 3-4 years now. Yellowtail, 15-25#, were on the chew. About 12 were on iron and 25 more on 4-5” sardines. 20# fluoro. 1-1/0 J hook. 1/2-3/4 oz slider for most. If belly-hooked-then flylined worked best.
Ride home was bumpy but blessed to be on the water and under countless stars for 2 days with 30 skilled brothers of my tribe.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
IMG_0693.jpg
Amazing how many sharks we came across without even lookin for em... took a couple..

Upvote 0

biggens

Almost A Member
Jul 27, 2008
lake
Name
duh !
Boat
26 ft wellcraft
Good eatz right there, hopefully they divided it up so everybody got some it's delicious

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Speaking of seal eaters, did anyone else have the displeasure of seeing and smelling this today near the 209? I thought it was a small whale at first.

D63667AB-C09A-403D-A917-F6F3B5F9684C.jpeg

Reactions: Bottom Line
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Great right up. Did you say Ray fishes hard? :D

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    If you go, here's the rig Peter from Richard's Tackle set up for me yesterday.
    12/0 Circle. Treble stinger. 400# crimped. My plan is to pierce the top with a ice pick, thread the rig through the squid and in-line a rubber band torpedo above the swivel. It's a proven setup for kite fish, hoping it does the same for the giant squid.
    A BD brother pm'd me with a question about the squid. Here's my reply:
    Hi ...,
    Yes. The giant squid were bit from early AM in the dark, during the day and again into the night. The main point is to use this bait for the 100#+ boys being metered and marked. Use smaller profile bait( flatfalls(glow in the dark, sardine or others during the day), vertical speed jigs...) for the 100# and under models.
    Rubber band rig and in-line. Not dangling with one knot.
    Some guys just dropped down to the depth, usually 200', and put the clicker on.
    The guys that got bit most, worked the giant squid in a range. If the fish were at 200', they'd drop to 250 and work up to 150. Rinse and repeat. They got bit on the slow wind consistently.

Good luck!

Ps. When you're bit, don't swing or put the reel into strike quickly. Let it run for 3 seconds, enough time for the bait to settle into his mouth, then set the hook. Remember, you're fishing with a circle and a BIG bait. This'll eliminate being short bit most times so be ready for a battle.

GIANT SQUID RIG.jpg

Upvote 0

negitoro

Jun 19, 2012
    villa park, ca
    Name
    bruce
    Boat
    ISLANDER, NEW LO-AN
    12/0 Circle. Treble stinger. 400# crimped. My plan is to pierce the top with a ice pick, thread the rig through the squid and in-line a rubber band torpedo above the swivel. It's a proven setup for kite fish, hoping it does the same for the giant squid.
    Hi ...,
    Yes. The giant squid were bit from early AM in the dark, during the day and again into the night. The main point is to use this bait for the 100#+ boys being metered and marked. Use smaller profile bait( flatfalls(glow in the dark, sardine or others during the day), vertical speed jigs...) for the 100# and under models.
    The guys that got bit most, worked the giant squid in a range. If the fish were at 200', they'd drop to 250 and work up to 150. Rinse and repeat. They got bit on the slow wind consistently.

Good luck!

Ps. When you're bit, don't swing or put the reel into strike quickly. Let it run for 3 seconds, enough time for the bait to settle into his mouth, then set the hook. Remember, you're fishing with a circle and a BIG bait. This'll eliminate being short bit most times so be ready for a battle.

View attachment 962924

If and WHEN we go, please bring 2 of these rigs for me. I'll supply the squid!!!
    This looks like fun!

Upvote 0

ErnieG

Worst Fisherman
    Aug 4, 2011
    Vista
    www.cafishingnews.com
    Name
    Ernie Gorham
    Boat
    11' SportCat Truline
    Hi ...,

Good luck!

View attachment 962924

Thank you for the info! It's funny how you think you know all the techniques you need then someone just blows your mind with another. I'm gonna make a number of these rigs and bring squid on every BFT trip from now on.

Just curious, how big are these 'giant' squid you're using? And I'm guessing you can get them at Asian markets - are they already frozen or do you buy them fresh and freeze them yourself?

Many thanks.

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    Thank you for the info! It's funny how you think you know all the techniques you need then someone just blows your mind with another. I'm gonna make a number of these rigs and bring squid on every BFT trip from now on.

Just curious, how big are these 'giant' squid you're using? And I'm guessing you can get them at Asian markets - are they already frozen or do you buy them fresh and freeze them yourself?

Many thanks.

Hi Ernie,

Amen to that. We all knew the big bluefin love 1. flying fish 2. squid 3.micro-bait....
    Didn't know the giant squid would be high on their pickings but it makes sense based on how much they travel and the variety of food in different waters.

About 18 inches on average. 12 inch head plus 6 inches on the legs is my guess. Some places have them frozen and some fresh defrosted. I'm going to ziplock them individually defrosted so I'm good to go at the bell. Not sure of the container yet...

Here's a pic from my friend, Bruce.

Good day!
    Ps. If you bring extra others will buy them at a fair price. Someone was charging $20 on the boat. Not cool imho...
    Pss If by chance you don't have a rig in hand. Here's an idea from my friend, Kenny aka Coltsniper. You can use your modified flatfall as long as you have multiple hooks. The cool thing is that now it also glows and you don't need to add a in-line torpedo sinker. The downside though is that if you're shark bit, it's adios to your expensive flatfall.

Giant Squid Pic.jpg

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    I worked out of Queens Wharf in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Ray has so much local knowledge it’s ridiculous. He’s seen everything here. He is a man of few words.

I think he's starting to warm-up after all the years on the water. You can hear and feel a calmer, cooler and confident energy in his audio reports. Sounds like he's having fun fishing again...lot's of Captains and Boats think it's just about the fish count, meat or blood on the deck which is shallow water thinking. When fish counts are up, those boats are busy. And vice a versa , when they're down, they're dead . Pretty sure Ray's figured out it's about each anglers personal experience, fish count is not most important and that's the deep water thinking that the best Captains have mastered and wired. Those Captains end up having the year booked by private charters, there's a handful of them, with just a few open charters to fill if they want to work. Ray may finally be on that path, better fish the Toro while you can...

Reactions: lynndeva and Haly0
    Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    What about adding glow sticks to the squid Danny ?
    Above the squid, on, or in the squid?
    Does color of glow matter?
    Thanks for the post, Dave

Hi Dave,
    Just for the record, Peter and Richard from Richard's Tackle design and fabricate all of my terminal tackle. The attached as well. I just get to fish...
    There are many ways to light up or make the squid glow: 1) 3-4 oz sliding glow sinker at the top of your rig 2) rubber banded torpedo glow sinker 3) 250gram flatfall hooked to the outside (mimics mating or spawning squid, great for WSB) 4) loop protector inserted between the top hook and stinger with the glow stick slipped inside. You can also buy glow loop protectors but not sure of their glow intensity.
    I don't think the glow color matters but it's intensity does. With the loop protector acting as a sleeve you're able to change out and put in a fresh glow stick when the intensity wears. Guys that light up their flatfalls with a UV flashlight get better bit when it's a pick bite. Flatfall glows brighter and longer UV lit versus the LED and regular incandescents.
    Good Luck next time you're on the water! Winds are iffy up to Wednesday so I'd wait to the end of the week if it's possible.
    Peace

SQUID RIG GLOW.jpg DT FLATFALL.jpg

Upvote 0