Jason's request: Intrepid 12/4/07 #3

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Alter Ego, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Intrepid 12/07...273# yft

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    long range
    At Jason's (Lend-A-Fish) request, I will write a Bloodydecks-style report for this trip.

I headed out about 7 am and was to pick Scott (wahoo.ch) up from the rental car return. He was coming from Switzerland, so it was the least I could do. I got a call from him just as I was coming down Rosecrans telling me he got a ride from another friend (Casey). OK, just meet me at the landing, I said.

I met Scott and Casey, then proceeded to meet Howard...he was easy to spot... ;) . He then introduced me to Ray and Mel. I ran into Kcosca (Kevin) while we were lining up. We all signed in and got our free T-shirts and Intrepid mugs, then boarded by number.

Once on the boat, I was impressed by the layout in the galley. The hallway leading into the galley was the widest I have ever seen. We got situated into our staterooms and began socializing on the deck. There I met Don (fishious). 91 year old Joe was already rigging his rods.

As the boat pulled away from the landing and headed to the receiver, we had the seminar. Captain Danny was not too optimistic regarding the upcoming trip, but said he'd do his best. Kevin then told us how to rig for the trip. Once we hit the water, we were out there learning knots from each other, talking of trips past, and looking forward to our upcoming adventure, not knowing the great fishing that would await us. We had a great dinner of prime rib that night.

The next morning we continued rigging, and doing whatever it is we do on travel days. We continued the next day, then stopped that night to make bait. We slayed the macs and within a couple of hours had our tank full. A few of us stayed up to see if there were any resident fish worth catching. At about 4 am, I got a hit. I pulled up a 10# calico. Corey got a pic of it and then we sent it back swimming away...time for bed. At least I got the first fish of the trip!

We travelled again the next day. By the way, those stabilizers are sweet! The boat has the usual up and down pitch, but there is very little side to side sway.

We awoke the next morning to the tuna grounds, and it was run and gun on meter marks. We hit a school after dawn but before sunup. I dropped my dine over the side and he swam straight down. Not exactly what I was hoping for, I was thinking, but at least it was not right under the boat. Right then, bam! Game on. I was on my Avet 30w on a 760H, a virgin setup sans rock cod. Got an 80+ pounder to the boat after Danny, Kevin, and Buzz got us out of a 5 way tangle! Only 1 of 5 lost, cudos to the crew. My personal best of 68# was beat in the first hours of the first day of fishing! Sweet. The photos below of the melee of bent rods was taken at this time.

Pulled up on another school and I heeded Steve K's advice. I was next to the bait tank and wanted to break in a different setup. This was a TLD30 that I hotrodded per Alan Tani and put in a Tiburon frame. It was on a 760L roller rod with a 50# top shot. Casted out on the slide and it was game on again. Got another 80+ pounder to gaff. Many others were hooked up, as well.

We run'ed and gun'ed again, and again were rewarded. This time I had my 60# topshot on a Penn 30S. Slide, drop, and game on! Another 80+ to gaff. My old personal best was a distant memory, by this point. We must've had over 30 fish on board by this point, and it was not yet 9AM on the first day of fishing!

We hit a few more stops for the day, for a few more fish. All were in the 60 to 150 class. We then had a wonderful dinner of Alaskan halibut. Tasty!

The next morning we got up and I think there were a few fish under the boat. Old Joe Talasy (91 years young) was already at it by 4:30 am. A few fish were caught before sunrise and we run'ed and gun'ed until we found a school and many more souls beat their personal bests. I did not hook up here. We did more running and gunning for the day, but there was nothing else to be found. We drifted for the night and had another wonderful dinner. I think this night was veal chops.

I got up to get coffee at about 4 am the next morning and there was a knock at the window. It was 91 year old Joe waving at me! He'd been at it for a half an hour already. That morning, around dawn but before sunrise, we were greeted to another melee of bent rods. These were a bit bigger, as I recall. After they were landed, we headed off just to reposition, and just drifted. Many nice fish were landed this day, but I just cannot remember exactly who and what. Hopefully they will chime in on the thread. I had two fish lost this day. One was on my heaviest outfit, a Penn 50W on a 6455XXXH. As soon as I went to set the hook, my line went slack...I pulled up frayed spectra...wtf? Anyway, I put out my 60# outfit (the only thing I had left) and got a nice pickup. After a blistering initial run, my line again went slack. I pulled up a pigtail, but not a curly-Q. I'm thinking the fish was hooked deeply, and the line broke off at the fish's jaw.

Anyway, enough of my woes, many people got fish over 100 and 200# this day. However, I went up on the kite and was in jail for over 4 hours. I did get a break for a nice ciappino lunch, however. I later got "fired" from the kite, which I never heard of and was a bit torqued about. I would be rewarded later, however. Of course, the guy up next on the kite (Bill) gets slammed in 5 minutes. At this point, the kite hates me.

Later that evening, Kevin Cleary (2nd mate) yells my name. "Take this thing," he says. I was in for the battle of my life. This thing was big, mean, and really wanted to live. After over an hour, three gaffs were sunk into him, and he came though the gate. My 273# was on board. I was a bit tipsy, and tried to get a picture with him on board, but kept slipping on the fish slime. There were at least another 6 fish over 200 with him on the deck. Corey had his 330 and Tom had his 300 on board, as well.

Given the way the cows were beginning to bite, Capt Danny gave us the option of staying for another day, or going inshore to fish yellowtail. 18 to 1 we voted to stay. It would be the right move.

That night TJ, Ron, Bryan, Don, and myself stayed up to make squid. We got a lot. That would prove to be key the next day.

The next morning we awoke to sunshine. I forgot to mention it had rained the previous two mornings. It was a welcome change. The day was a scratch bite, but those who persevered were welcomed with cows. Scott (wahoo.ch) was bent almost everytime I looked. Howard (modrealtor) and Don (fishious) were close contenders. Casey hooked a couple, as well. Yours truly could not buy a bite.

I was about to go take a nap, when Kevin called me up on the kite. "Damn," I thought. The kite hates me. I was on the kite for about an hour, when Kevin came up to me and gave me a pep talk. About 10 minutes later...boil! Wind, wind, wind! It was game on! After I got the line tight, Kevin told me to pull. I did, but then he said, "ok, now put down your purse and PULL!!" I gave it the pull of my life and it pulled right back down. I tried to get into my harness, but said to hell with it. I used the rail and it was my friend. Soon, I was rewarded with a 135# yft.

Bill went up on the kite after me. Soon he was on with his pig. He started the fight with the butt of the rod between his legs. Buzz and I were laughing that we both know Urologists, but hope to never need their services. Bill's fish took him up to the bow, where it thankfully settled in for the fight. You all have already seen the pics I have posted on this, but one more will be seen below. That thing was tough! Johnny the deckhand came down to get Capt Danny to say, "This is a big mo...fu..." I want you up here so nothing goes wrong. Every beat of this fish's tail took a slip of drag. The drag later pegged a 56# scale without slipping.

Eventually, after over an hour, this thing came to gaff...4 gaffs! It came through the gate, not the over-the-rail "man shit" as Danny frequently espoused. High fives were everywhere. Danny taped this thing three times, then took and inch off of each dimension to try to be conservative. He still came out with 381. We were all pumped! Bill just wanted to know if he had enough freezer bags at home. He had no idea what he had just landed. We had a great dinner that night. I think it was rack of lamb.

The next few days were travel days. We stayed another day in the zone, so there would be no yellowtail or rockcod stops. We would already be getting in late. No worries, the boat didn't have another trip scheduled until Dec 26. We were all under the impression for a few days that this would be the biggest pig the landing had seen in 10 years. We all were trying to impress upon Bill the magnitude of what he had caught.

The morning we pulled into the harbor, we had to wait at the bait receiver until 10 am, as we were instructed to not return before then. News media, etc. were expected. No worries, Javier cooked us up a nice breakfast and we got our stuff upstairs and out of the staterooms. Danny and the deckhands handily tied our cows up to the stern. The "bycatch" alone would have made a respectable trip. As we pulled into the dock, the news cameras were already there, wanting to interview Bill and Capt Danny. After we got them off to the side, we were able to offload our gear and ourselves, and then make our way up the docks.

The first cart to come up was Bill's fish. Anticipation was in the air, as there were more people there at the landing than I have ever seen after returning from a long range trip. Once the fish was in the air, on the scale, I could hear Danny say, "355, what the fuck?!" My heart sunk for him. Not because this was a loss, by any means, but because I know he did everything he could to keep this fish from coming up short at the dock. The news media came out thinking this was the biggest thing in 10 years. I was very happy to see the positive slant they gave the creature. This was a pig, no question. They recognized that.

All in all, we had an epic trip. What can one say when the top three jackpot fish are all over 300? I was lucky enough to break my personal best on my first fish, then break that record, and then break it again with a 273#. All the anglers on the trip, BD'ers and non-BD'ers were awesome to fish with. Everyone worked well together and all loved to catch fish, and hang out when we weren't fishing.

This was the trip to top all trips. I may never top this trip, but I'll keep trying!

Photos are below. I don't know how to mix them into the content.

Did you like this version, Jason?

2. Alter Ego

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    long range
    Here are the photos:

1howardtying.jpg 2trilene.jpg 3south.jpg 4galley.jpg 5serves.jpg 7firstblood.jpg 8persbest.jpg 11hooksup.jpg 12scottsfish.jpg 13caseycow.jpg 15ronsfish.jpg 16scottagain.jpg 17ronsfish2.jpg 18kitejail.jpg 19billson.jpg 27tails.jpg

3. Alter Ego

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    long range
    more pics

28media.jpg 21byebank.jpg

4. fishnfool

fishnfool Member

Name:
    Kevan
    Boat:
    IMAHO
    Nice report Brent...awesome pics! And you were worried about whether you guys would get into 'em. Congrats again on all the personal bests. See you Tuesday?

5. Alter Ego

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    long range
    I forgot to mention one key part of the story. On the way out, Kevin mentioned that anyone caught sleeping in the galley was fair game. Earlier in the day before Bill caught his big fish, he was napping in the galley. Kevin saw that and put a little sundae of whipped cream on Bill's hat, which he was wearing. Later that day is when he got his pig. Must've been good luck, eh?

6. fishnfool

fishnfool Member

Name:
    Kevan
    Boat:
    IMAHO
    If it wasn't before it will be now. He will probably bring his own can of whipped cream on every trip just in case...I would. LOL

7. Alter Ego

Name:
    Brent
    Boat:
    long range
    All the others on the trip please feel free to chime in, add in your own version, personal anecdotes, pictures, ect.

8. cliffpaul2

cliffpaul2 Newbie

Name:
    Cliff Paul
    Boat:
    20' Wellcraft v-20, Olivia Grace
    Wow! What a trip!

9. Le Tigre

Le Tigre Newbie

Name:
    LE TIGRE
    Boat:
    25' SKIPJACK
    total respect and blessings for a great trip and an awesome boatload.. 355 WOW

10. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:
    Awesome Brent, thats what im talking about. An hour on your cow, tell us what that was like, the good the bad and the ugly. I love the picture of Bill fighting the 355, looks like it was taking four guys to lift the rod, or maybe its better to say 4 guys to keep the angler on the deck. I wish i was there buddy.

11. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:
    BTW, thanks for getting me back. I had a feeling id get pay'd back for putting your username in the title of a thread.

12. Professor

Professor Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Yale
    Boat:
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Great report on a class 1 trip.

13. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    Holy crap! Very nice! Congrats!

14. Sea Bandit

Sea Bandit Newbie

Name:
    Mel
    Boat:
    YES
    Brent

Fabulous report. Well done.

15. warzon

warzon Johnny Bass

Name:
    JC
    Boat:
    Shogun, Indy
    very nice thanks for the report

16. Mr. Len

Mr. Len Chop 'em if ya got 'em

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Boatho
    Great Read! Congrats on your personal best!

17. wahoo.ch

wahoo.ch Registered

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Aluminum
    Hey Doc,
    GREAT report !!!! I was supposed to be on that trip with you, and had booked a job i couldn't get out of, henc i had to back out called casey the day before and he was in. Scott stayed at my house and readied himself for the trip excusiating to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have the tripp right after you next year on the Intrepid "THE INTERNATIONAL COW CLUB" and you can bet i wont miss that tripp. CONGRATS!!!!! on a GREAT trip Doc. I lookfoward to meeting you at some point. Casey is a BD member BDFUX2 i forget exactly but something like that but i am sure he will post. Congrats again brother. (i HAD TO GO BACK IN and put this. this is MurdeInc. i didnt see till after i posted that Scott had been on the comuter and sighned in)

18. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    ................but about the advice.

Great report and thanks for taking the time to put it together and posting all those photos. Appreciate it.

First of all, I want to congratulate you on landing such a magnificent fish. It may end up being the fish of a lifetime for you. I know that after landing my first over 100 lbs, I was so stoked and then it took 11 years for a new personal best. When it begins to sink in, just what it is you have accomplished, it's the realization. Talking to Ken Corwin at the L.B Fred back in March '06 after he had caught his first cow, he told me, "It changes you."

Second, and this is about that advice. I saw Brent on his departure day, my return day, 12/4. Brent, you said

"Pulled up on another school and I heeded Steve K's advice. I was next to the bait tank and wanted to break in a different setup. This was a TLD30 that I hotrodded per Alan Tani and put in a Tiburon frame. It was on a 760L roller rod with a 50# top shot."

My advice to Brent on the 4th was to be agressive as if he was on an overnight Albacore trip and he only had four hours to fish, not four or five days. I suggested that waiting for a school of cows to come up foaming in the chum behind the boat might not happen and that he should be ready to pin on a bait and fish the slide. Any time the boat slowed down or sped up or made a sharp turn, he should be at the bait tank with his rod and ready to fish.

I did not advise him to fish 50 and 60# tackle on the Lower Banks, as I had made that mistake and paid the price. I may have gotten my fish if it had not been for the tackle failure. You can read about that if you like:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/range-chit-chat/89475-big-fish-swim-smaller-fish.html

A few words borrowed from Tim Turis and his excellent report of the Excel 16 day after Thanksgiving: Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

"Once we arrive on the Lower Banks, I changed my top shots and removed the 100# from my reels and changed all top shots to 125# or greater. In my opinion, THIS WAS ABSOULELY NO PLACE TO FISH ANYTHING LESS THAN 125#!"

I'll still have the 100# set up available and will use it when advised to do so by the captain when all he sees is smaller fish, but I learned the hard way, and for me, next time it will be 150# on the slide and then use the 130# on the drift. More words from Tim Turis:

"Fishing the slide on the Lower Banks was a good place to use the “big gear”. 50 or 50W sized reels, 150# or 200# wind on leaders were the way to go. Scaling down to 125# or 130# after the boat was on the drift was ok, but when the fish came to the boat on the slide, they had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM biting the big gear! If they will eat the big gear, feed them the big gear!"

19. MurderInc.

MurderInc. Newbie

Name:
    Bob LeRoy
    Boat:
    26 Grady white (Relentless)
    Thats better !!!! GREAT post Doc

20. frijolitos

frijolitos cause I eat alot of beans

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    23 grady, 16 Lund
    Imagine the story if "old man Joe" could hook and catch the record fish!!! COOL. nice report and congratulations on the fish and the trip in general. that's ALOT of tuna on the deck!