Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Well here we go, this is super embarrassing for me as I try not to make any of my personal problems anyone else’s. This took months for me to get up the courage to post this but I am out of options and fighting for my life.
You may have noticed all the vegetarian cuisine that I have been forced to start eating. I have a hereditary disease called Polycystic Kidney Disease that I found out about 10 years ago, it was too late to control even at 33 years old. The damage was already done and I had 50% of my kidney function left which would have lasted until I was in my 60’s-70’s with a normal medical plan.

Over the last year my health has deteriorated to the point of no longer being able to consistently fish, hunt, drive, walk, work, get out of bed or even care for my children.
I am registered as permanently disabled. I’m 43 and was not supposed to be at this stage but had a mishap with medications that accelerated the decline of my kidneys in the last year. I feel fine in my head but my body won’t let me do anything and responds with painful swollen bursting cysts on my kidneys, internal bleeding, month long gout flare up’s and a sky high blood pressure that is now uncontrollable. I have never been in so much pain. My kidneys weigh around 15lbs each and take up all the room in my cavity from inside my ribs to inside my hips. I’m not fat in real life! To make things worse after being in bed for so long when I was able to get up and walk a little bit I tore both of my Achilles tendons and am on bed rest for another 5 weeks as my kidney functions are too low to take any medications or handle any steroids. The hits keep on coming.

Watching my kids cry because dad can’t get out of bed to do anything, while they realize that that dad is dying is one of the worst feelings in the world and hurts just as much as the physical pain.

December to January I took the kids and wife to Costa Rica as I knew something wasn’t right and that I may not be able to ever get the chance to take them out of country again. The trip was miserable for myself as I lived on pain killers the whole time. Both my ankles were swollen and gout kept me from doing a lot of the tours and hikes with my family. I slept most of the trip. Glad I took it as I had no idea what was in store in the coming months/years.

In February I started to get very depressed. I couldn’t eat, lost 40lbs in 3 weeks and had to confide in my wife, kids an family friends to care for me. I spent days staring at the bedroom wall thinking about my family and how life would be for them if I passed. Fed up with being stuck in bed, not getting better with a chance of getting hooked on opiates I got on the phone and started fighting with my insurance company to do more for myself. It was a full time job for Nancy and myself just to get insurance to allow me to see the right people to turn my health problems around. Months of appointments, tests, emergency hospital visits, changing doctors, appeals to insurance, formal complaints to the California Department of Public Health, upfront payments for thousands of dollars for services that insurance doesn’t cover, etc all while trying to take care of kids and trying to work from bed.

Test results for a kidney transplant came back that I’m perfectly healthy other than my kidneys have stopped functioning (GFR 6-13). My kidneys are so full of bleeding cysts that it put me in the hospital for extended stays twice in the past 8 months resulting in end stage renal failure. I have been to the BD office 15 days total since the new year and really miss the crew and comradery. BD, the people involved and the outdoors is my lifestyle. I missed seeing you all at Fred Hall Shows and Day At The Docks. I’ll miss talking with all of you on the water this fishing season as well.

I just had surgery to get an AV Fistula installed. Living on pain killers as this is one of the most painful surgeries I have had yet. It takes 2-3 months to cure before use (no pulling, lifting or anything for 12 weeks). Both my kidneys have to be removed in a few months as they are so big that they are crushing my internal organs and there is no space to add a new kidney if I get a transplant. Another 3 month recovery, no physical activities.
I’m to survive on dialysis until I can get a kidney transplant. I’m scared shitless of Dialysis. While on dialysis I am at risk of blood infection, contracting diseases, heart attack, etc. It will limit everything I do including a super restrictive diet until I can find a kidney. Dialysis is 4 hours a day, every other day.
The current kidney waiting list is 4 to 7 years for a cadaver kidney (average life span of a cadaver kidney is 7 years, average of a living donor is 13-20 years) it’s not a guarantee that I will get a kidney from the waiting list. I am starting at the back of the line. 9000+ people on the list and only 1100 transplants a year off that list.
I am hoping that there is someone out there willing to donate a kidney to save my life. I would like to see my kids start families of their own as well as live a semi normal life again. Just taking them to the park and being able to kick or throw a ball would be awesome.

If you are interested in donating all you have to do is call this number (858)554-4310 SCRIPPS Transplant Coordinator. for Steven Jason Hayashi 01/14/1975 They will send you a packet on what it takes to donate. It’s all paid for by my insurance and also covered by a federal fund. I wish I could trade, pay for or even give the donor endless fishing trips, gear, vacations, etc but in the USA it is illegal to pay for or trade anything for a body part.

IMG_7201.jpg
IMG_7202.jpg
IMG_7226.jpg
IMG_7234.jpg
IMG_7283.jpg
IMG_7458.jpg
IMG_7500.jpg
IMG_7601.jpg
IMG_7977.jpg
IMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8914.jpg
IMG_8878.jpg
IMG_8883.jpg
IMG_8901.jpg IMG_8906.jpg IMG_8909.jpg

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Jason, this is something I never thought I would read. My heart goes out to you and your family!

I'm gonna call that number. I'm far from a health nut, but my kidneys have been good to me. Maybe I'm a match?

At least you look like you're having some fun in there...

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Hey Jason, I know it took a lot to come out with this. Prayers being sent constantly for you and your family. BDer's have banded together before to help a fishermen in need, I'm sure the hospital will be overwhelmed. I have faith you will find a few kidneys and a few spares to keep in the fridge.

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Clickbait!!

I’m glad you shared your story. This amazing BD family will come together for you.

Here’s to the next 43 years. :cheers:

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Is there an age limit on the donor? I feel like I at least have to try and screen.
But then again, it might not match up- us posters on the long range board are whiney little bitches :D
I will check into it, 43 is way too young.

Reactions: Jason

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I'm not sure you'd want one of mine, :rolleyes: but I'll call them today.

Hang in there buddy.

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Jason, we've never met, but thank you for sharing. Everything you write sounds completely honest. Even though in a better world none of us or our families should have to go through your ordeal, rest assured that there is no bitching or whining in your sharing. Even as you are suffering, you are providing a role model for your children and others.

For the rest of us, take this as a warning: life isn't fair. Enjoy it and make the most of it while you can.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
So sorry to hear about your dilemma Jason. I’m wishing the very best for you, a speedy recovery and achieving that day in the park with your kids very soon.
Will

Reactions: kuyamonster

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Wow, this is heart breaking. We have only met once, but you were exceedingly kind and positive and that resonated with me. Best of luck to you and your family. I have unfortunately seen a handful of organ transplants happen with family and very close friends and so far each time felt desperate but also have worked out for the best. Don't lose hope, retain that positivity and good things will happen.

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
Damn dude, very sorry to hear/read this. I hope the right person comes forward and helps in your time of need. Good vibes being sent.

Max.

esgeo

Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
Prayers for you and your family for what you are enduring. Sounds incredibly painful in so many ways. Thank you for sharing with us- I have hope that in having done so, positive developments in your struggle will be forthcoming. God bless.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Wow, you do battle with Chinese Internet Cyber Warriors by hospital bed? I am impressed.

Sorry to hear the bad part. I have a good idea what you are going through. My pops just had fistula installed yesterday and a port in chest for until the fistula heals. He is scared as well. I just keep telling him that the dialysis will make him feel better. He has no chance at transplant. Cancer fucking sucks.

I hope the dialysis helps you feel better until you get a transplant.

It will happen...and you will be able to play with you kids again, and watch them graduate, get married and have kids as well.

Hang in there.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
OMG, Jason, I am so sorry to hear this, it brought tears to my eyes, You are one strong person, Life will not let you down, sadly i'm way past the age to be a donor, but I do know Your donor line will be over flowing... What You explained in this post of what you have been going through shows me nothing will stop you from achieving your goals, and having a good life with your family and friends..
All my best to you stay strong you will beat this....

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
To any and all, if a donor is found and has to travel from out of state I have 100,000 Delta Sky Miles to donate to get them to and from San Diego on Domestic First Class.

Last edited:

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
I called as well. They just emailed me the forms. If anyone else woukd like forms, let me know emaiI address and I can forward on.

I have O negative blood type. The Universal donor blood type.

Last edited:

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
To any and all, if a donor is found and has to travel from out of state I have 100,000 Delta Sky Miles to donate to get them to and from San Diego on Domestic First Class.
Ditto I unfortunately spend my life on planes so the same here. This community can and will do what they can. I can contribute that way as well so please let us know what we can do.