Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
That's good news to me!

Here's a question for you that nobody else has been able to answer locally here in Southern California.

I have quite a few friends that hold resale licenses and sell their larger bluefin tuna to cover the costs of their trips. For the last few years as soon as the market gets flooded out here the price gets really low, like five bucks a pound.

Why hasn't an international buyer set up here in So cal to purchase and ship to Japan and such?

Not enough volume? Not the size they're looking for?

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
That's good news to me!

Here's a question for you that nobody else has been able to answer locally here in Southern California.

I have quite a few friends that hold resale licenses and sell their larger bluefin tuna to cover the costs of their trips. For the last few years as soon as the market gets flooded out here the price gets really low, like five bucks a pound.

Why hasn't an international buyer set up here in So cal to purchase and ship to Japan and such?

I too have wondered why there is not a boutique BFT fishery here. I understand a low price is a killer but it seems most of the needed infrastructure is certainly already here, catching methods are certainly known well enough and there are enough boats that could gear up for that kind of thing at a reasonable cost.

Even though we seem to be at some sort of high point of the "local" BFT cycle and that will certainly change its already been a few years and not many are taking advantage of the commercial side.

pje

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2008
orlando
Name
PJ
Boat
34 Scarab Supersport
That's good news to me!

I think it might have something to do with fatty content , which is what the international buyers are looking for .

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I too have wondered why there is not a boutique BFT fishery here. I understand a low price is a killer but it seems most of the needed infrastructure is certainly already here, catching methods are certainly known well enough and there are enough boats that could gear up for that kind of thing at a reasonable cost.

Even though we seem to be at some sort of high point of the "local" BFT cycle and that will certainly change its already been a few years and not many are taking advantage of the commercial side.

Kerry our local BFT does have the fat content and it is great eating fish for us but for Japan they prefer a more bright pinkish belly meat and size of the BFT . As some may have notice our local BFT belly has some discoloring and have a stronger fishy taste compare to Japan local BFT or Mediterranean BFT.

The other thing is how many out there actually practice the actual way of spiking pithing and cleaning the bluefin for the market right away. Not all of them out there. Japan also high quality and no damage to the meat.

Here is something you can read about below.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...liath-battle-to-preserve-pacific-bluefin-tuna

Reactions: sickcat