January, February Papua New Guinea.

Discussion in 'Anywhere Fishing Reports' started by Cameron Mundy, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    Each year just after Christmas we dispatch K2O to Alotau 290 NM to the East by sea where we make our base of operations for the next 2 months or so. From here we strike out with groups from all over the world to destinations like Long Reef, Vakuta, Pocklington and countless other reefs and archipelagos scattered across the divide between the Solomon and Coral sea. With all these destinations a further 100 to 150nm miles from Alutoa we get to fish virtually virgin waters on every trip and spread the trips out over the entire area so groups barely fish the same water over the course of the time we are there.

The weather from mid-December till the end of February is normally dead calm with mirror seas and hardly a breath of wind, after a while you start hoping the rain squalls passing through would head your way for a good soaking to cool off in the tropical heat. But of course, as soon as you say that to guests you get crazy weather like we had this year. We had a series of low grade tropical storms forming in the middle of the Coral sea hitting us with a barrage of low pressure systems and windy conditions which made fishing challenging as everything started getting lock jaw.

We were lucky to have a great bunch of groups join many of them familiar faces back for another shot at Papua New Guinea. Paul from Salty Water Tackle with his usual bunch of rogues Mostly from the US kicked things off followed by another one of our regulars Eno Kun and his friends from Japan. Our Malaysian buddies headed up by Jimmy where next on their 5th trip with us, followed by Ryan Turner and his friends from Australia with special guests Scott Werner from the US and Lim from Indonesia. We finished things up another Australian group and SFPNG head Honcho Jason Yip snuck in a trip with his mates at the end of our tour of duty as well, over 50 guests so please forgive me if I didn’t mention you all by name!

2018 may be the year of the Wrasse with Jed and Fikia guiding clients to over twenty between them with the rest of the guides in hot pursuit. Napoleon or Bump head wrasse are quickly becoming an iconic fish to catch in Papua New Guinea they don’t have the power of GT’s or the absolute madness of Doggies but they are gnarly opponents on rod and reel and make for awesome photographs, protected in some countries due to over fishing we make sure to safely release them whenever possible. The GT’s also came out to play as well as the Doggies although the bench mark set by Jed last year for the latter is still safe. Various reef species kept us entertained as usual and provided some great meals on board K2O. We had a lot of Narrow Banded Spanish Macs this year, a fish I grew up chasing in South Africa and a personal favourite of mine, I’ll never grow tired of watching monster Macs blowing twenty feet out the water with a stick bait in its mouth like a dog with a bone. (unless he heads over the horizon with one of my Jap lures).

We had a couple of other unplanned exciting moments Captain Jed got a hook through his pinky finger (yes, we have a barbless policy but sh*t happens). I had a Spanish Mac try take a chunk out of my shin. Mea one of our guides swam down about 15 meters to pull a wrasse out of a snag, a tender almost sank after hitting something on tow at night so Moli who had just stepped off a plane from Japan had to run another boat from POM to Alutoa. All character building stuff as my dad likes to say.

I’ll let the photo’s do the rest of the talking theres hundreds but I've tried to put a few from each group, we’ll have some videos up on the Facebook page soon. Next stop for Sportfishing PNG is Eastern Fields my favourite spot in Papua New Guinea for big Geets and Yellowfin Tuna on top water. As always, a big thank you to all the guys and girls who came fishing with us and the crew of the good ship K2O and Sportfishing PNG who are having a well-deserved rest.

Tight lines till next time

Cameron Mundy

_MG_9219.jpg _MG_9318.jpg AO4P5287.jpg DSC00974.jpg DSC02598.jpg DSC03974.jpg DSC04115.jpg DSC04131.jpg DSCN0361.jpg DSCN0522.jpg eno and jed wrasse.jpg f.jpg GT fight.jpg IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0267.jpg IMG_0402.jpg IMG_0414.jpg IMG_0548.jpg IMG_7099.jpg P1230041.jpg P1230060.jpg

D DIDDY, ScaleyOne, karlk1125 and 5 others like this.
  2. makomiko

makomiko makomiko

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Wow, looks awesome, I might have to add this to my "Bucket List" Thanks for posting. makomiko

FishRock and Cameron Mundy like this.
  3. Cameron Mundy

Cameron Mundy noob

Name:
    Cameron Mundy
    Boat:
    Assorted
    Give the guys at Saltywater Tackle a shout They've got around 4 trips booked with us next year

4. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    karl kobler
    Boat:
    World Cat 270sc
    That is amazing!!! Definitely a bucket list trip forsure!!!