January 27, 2011 Lahaina Harbor, Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui. The second half of January thus far has been similar to the first part of the month as we have been catching mostly mahi mahi. The past two days, however, have been very productive for several of our boats since some larger mahis have been showing up in greater numbers. Hopefully this current state of successful fishing will persist for a while.

[​IMG]
    This mahi was caught by Schirato and sons in the vicinity of LA buoy. Mike, Matt, and Dennis fished on the Start Me Up Cuz.
    [​IMG]
    Gerard Gette landed his mahi in deep water behind Lanai. Captain Steve Cravens decided to fish there after run-off from a recent rainstorm had turned the water close to the islands a cloudy green color. Captain Steve found the clear blue water and, in the process, a fish.
    [​IMG]
    Captain Steve Cravens peels the skin off Gerard’s mahi. The skin can be peeled off a properly-iced fish, making filleting quicker and easier. The slimy skin of onos makes this technique more difficult to use on them, but we probably won’t have to worry about that until April.
    [​IMG]
    The Palm party boated a nice cow mahi on the Start Me Up Too with Captain Steve Carroll. The fish was caught on one of Captain Steve’s personally made Maui Fishin small bullet lures. The colors of this particular lure were pink and silver.
    [​IMG]
    Dave Albrecht caught a 20 lb. mahi on bait at LA buoy. Dave fished on the Start Me Up Das It with Captains Denny and Randy. He was impressed by the tenacity of Captain Denny, who is so persistent that he can almost pull a mahi out from below a floating hat. In fact, he might have actually done so at one point. The second mahi, which weighed in at 18 lbs., was caught by 8 year old Maomao from China. The fish went for an Ahi P lure trolled off the shoals at Kahoolawe.
    [​IMG]
    This 15 lb. mahi was landed by angler John Skinner on the Start Me Up Cuz with Captain Craig and crewman Rich. John had never fished in the ocean previously and came to Maui all the way from Belgrade, Maine to try it.
    [​IMG]
    This 20 lb. mahi ate a lure trolled on the long corner and Brenda Giakowski reeled in her first fish from the ocean. Brenda, from Washington, was surprised by the strength of the mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Dennis Tierney and Charles Olcum each boated a nice 20 lb. mahi. Dennis landed his fish on one of Captain Randy’s home-made lures in 200 fathoms behind Lanai and Charles caught his mahi on bait at K buoy. After successfully using a couple of different methods to catch a couple of nice fish, Dennis and Charles said they had a great trip.
    [​IMG]
    Erin Attchley and Dan Cook each caught a nice kawa kawa. Both fish were caught off Olowalu on a black and purple KK Pono lure.
    [​IMG]
    There were a lot of firsts associated with this shortbill spearfish. It was the first billfish ever for Carrol Bowan and the first billfish of 2011 for Lahaina Harbor’s top billfish captain of 2010, Captain Steve Cravens. Carrol (not pictured) landed the fish on stand-up gear with the help of her husband, who is pictured with this rare catch.
    [​IMG]
    Eric Veikle caught his 22 lb. mahi on the Start Me Up Cuz with Captain Craig. This mahi made things exciting as it charged the short corner lure and exploded on the purple softhead.
    [​IMG]
    The Domine party fished on the Start Me Up Too and caught this mahi on an Ahi P lure.
    [​IMG]
    Allen and Maxine Stanzell were having a great time escaping the cold in the Northwest Territories. Captain Ryan made their day even better with a mahi and rainbow runner on a four hour trip.
    [​IMG]
    Richard Hanenburg caught his mahi on an Elkins Jr. Popsicle. He took a souvenir lure back home to Canada so that he could use it to troll for walleye. Hopefully it works there.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Cuz produced a mahi for Curtis Kergen. They were trolling for marlin in 150 fathoms off the Manele golf course but left one small lure in the spread just in case. The strategy paid off as the mahi ignored all the big marlin lures and hit the small blue bullet.
    [​IMG]
    The Tomikas party, visiting from Estonia, went two for five on mahis with Captain Steve Cravens and crewman Chris on the Start Me Up Again. The fish were caught at the shoals of Kahoolawe.
    [​IMG]
    Anglers Dave Waldram and Tom Teaque landed these three mahi aboard the Start Me Up Too with Captain Steve Carroll. Two of the mahi, one bull and one cow, had some considerable size to them. All three fish were caught at the shoals of Kahoolawe on Captain Steve’s custom Maui Fishin lures.
    [​IMG]
    Captain Denny Putnam and crewman Rich on the Start Me Up Das It kept anglers JP and Rhonda Halchakar, Jason Wong, and Sam Tang very busy. The scene on the back deck was one of chaos as these mahi came aboard in nearly every way imaginable. One mahi was caught at JJ buoy and two more came on separate trolling bites. These anglers were also lucky enough to experience a double bite off the 150 fathom ledge near Lanai. The first mahi hit a trolled lure and then the second mahi ate a drop-back bait while the first mahi was still being brought to the boat. Captain Denny also fished at the shoals of Kahoolawe on a day when several nice mahi were caught in the area.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Das It had a frustrating day going one for five on mahis. The bites were on both riggers and the long corner. Three different fish charged into the spread after one of Captain Denny’s new lures. The group persevered and Rex Langford finally landed a mahi.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Again struck again with five mahi bites for the second day in a row. This time, however, Captain Steve Cravens and crewman Chris were flawless and the Buchart family caught five mahis on a six hour trip. The two bull mahis weighed in at 28 and 22 lbs. Congratulations to everyone involved on an awesome day of fishing.

This concludes another Start Me Up fishing report. If anyone would like a more current bite report for Maui, call our booth at Lahaina Harbor at 808-667-7879 between 9am and 5pm Hawaii time or email us at [email protected]. As I mentioned at the start of the report, hopefully the good fishing of the past couple of days continues and I will be posting another report soon. Until then, tight lines to everyone.

Aloha,
    Jonny