Jalama beach surf fishing

sktruth

Jul 31, 2008
ontario, ca
Name
tim
Boat
12' delta
Hello all. I will be camping at Jalama Beach for a week starting the Monday after the 4th of July. Does anyone have any insight on how the surf fishing has been up there? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
Upvote 0

Tubbs805

Tubbs805
Feb 25, 2019
Name
Tubbs805
Boat
21' Seaswirl Striper (retired)
No word on current bite. Fish Early before 9:00 am then wind gets ripping. then take a break for the best burger in the world and then fish eavining glass off if it happens. All the usual BSP stuff in middle grounds where sand forms bars and holes and either end rocky areas for variaty of rockfishy types, I usuallt target these areas for Cabazons and brown rockfish. Good luck beautiful place to be.

Upvote 0

Sashimi1231

Aug 20, 2020
California
Name
John
Boat
Surf
No word on current bite. Fish Early before 9:00 am then wind gets ripping. then take a break for the best burger in the world and then fish eavining glass off if it happens. All the usual BSP stuff in middle grounds where sand forms bars and holes and either end rocky areas for variaty of rockfishy types, I usuallt target these areas for Cabazons and brown rockfish. Good luck beautiful place to be.
hey spencer, ive been to jalama a couple times but dont really remember seeing any rocky structures in the water. is it towards the north or south of the campsite? and how far would it be? also, I have never targeted rockfish before, do you have any suggestions on what type of bait to use for rockfish? any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Upvote 0

Sashimi1231

Aug 20, 2020
California
Name
John
Boat
Surf
There is rocks and kelp north and south of the campground. the area in front of the campground is sand.
Thanks, I will definitely check it out. By any chance do you remember how far of a walk from the campsite it was? Trying to decide if I should pack light if it is more than a 20 minute walk

Upvote 0

Tubbs805

Tubbs805
Feb 25, 2019
Name
Tubbs805
Boat
21' Seaswirl Striper (retired)
Correct its north up past the Jalama creek estuary where rocky areas begin and south down beach to Taranchalas point where that area is. going north 5 -20 min walking and south 20-1hr+ depending on how far you want hell you can go all the way to Pt Conception/Ranch. just watch Tides, dont get trapped.
for bait - Squid, mussels, clams, anchovies.
your going to be targeting Rockfish and cabazon in these areas maybe a shallow ling in deeper holes.

Reactions: Sashimi1231
Upvote 0

Sashimi1231

Aug 20, 2020
California
Name
John
Boat
Surf
Correct its north up past the Jalama creek estuary where rocky areas begin and south down beach to Taranchalas point where that area is. going north 5 -20 min walking and south 20-1hr+ depending on how far you want hell you can go all the way to Pt Conception/Ranch. just watch Tides, dont get trapped.
for bait - Squid, mussels, clams, anchovies.
your going to be targeting Rockfish and cabazon in these areas maybe a shallow ling in deeper holes.
Thank you for the detailed directions and tips!

Upvote 0