Jalama Beach Fishing

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by Dcinoc17, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Dcinoc17

Dcinoc17 Newbie

Name:
    Kook
    Boat:
    None
    Will be spending a week camping at Jalama in August. Fish a lot offshore in San Diego but don’t know much about surf fishing. Any tips to get the kids some bites?

2. lvbrewfish

lvbrewfish Newbie

Name:
    J. Anonymous
    Boat:
    I don't have a boat
    Just spent a few days camping and fishing there. I would bring 20-30lb on a dropper loop or some variation with at 2-4oz weight. I used some red beads on my rig too. The reason for the heavy line is SEAWEED! It will tangle and frustrate the crap out of you. The rip currents are brutal here and will thrash your rig along the shoreline as well.

As for the tides, the tide charts are your friend. The PM tides are much stronger and the wind screams like a howling witch! Just be prepared it could feel like a sand blaster. Along with the PM tides are bigger fish, at least in my experience. Overall it is much easier fishing in the AM.

As far as bait, I used sand crabs and squid strips, with much better luck and bites on the sand crabs. Bring some type of contraption to catch the crabs and keep them in a container. I do have pics but have not learned to post them.

My son caught the biggest bsp in the area behind the store. My wife and I had better luck just past the campground next to the group camping area along the beach.

Beware of oil, that junk gets everywhere including your fishing equipment. The seaweed carries it too so just keep an eye out. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    bellcon, HAMBONES and matta57 like this.
  3. Dcinoc17

Dcinoc17 Newbie

Name:
    Kook
    Boat:
    None

Thanks so much for the info. I really want to get my kids and nephews on some surf perch so any an all info is very helpful and much appreciated!

4. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    spinning rod and reel 10-15lb line with small gulp camo sand worms if you want to cast/retrieve fish. Use a carolina rig with a 1/2 egg sinker. Lucky crafts work too but there's usually alot of salad there and can be hard to fish. Soaking bait works too

5. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    Like Bill said, Carolina rig with 3/8- 3/4 oz egg sinker depending on the current and surf. I prefer to fish them with redflake or motor oil grubs from Big Hammer or Kalin's. Cast and slowly retrieve the grub, keeping contact with the bottom.

6. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    alldaylong, pete j and Cubeye like this.
  7. Dcinoc17

Dcinoc17 Newbie

Name:
    Kook
    Boat:
    None
  8. mudshark

mudshark Newbie

Name:
    travis
    Boat:
    none
    Baby oil also works great for getting the tar off your feet and gear.

Cubeye likes this.
  9. lvbrewfish

lvbrewfish Newbie

Name:
    J. Anonymous
    Boat:
    I don't have a boat
    Yes, I was told by a friend afterwards. The store sells the oil wipes at 50 cents, they work really well.

I tried Goo Gone when I got back home and it worked too. But I have to say the wipes worked better.

If your not careful, the tar gets everywhere: hands, feet, dogs feet, guides, reel, line, hook, sinkers. Needless to say, I had a lot of cleaning, ugh.

10. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Newbie

Name:
    Betelgeuse
    Boat:
    Stratos
    Remember also that BSP feed very shallow, you don't need to cast far. Looks for holes and troughs.

11. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    wishin' I was at Jalama right now.Lucky man

12. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    That area is pretty remote so there's a lot of potential for all kinds of wildlife. The coast is private on both sides for several miles with the ranch to the south and the air force base to the north.