Jackpot Sheepshead 5.2

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by HBfisherman, May 3, 2010.

1. HBfisherman

HBfisherman H2

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Shamrock CC
    Started the day picking up my cousin and heading to Davey's Locker to board the Freelance for their 3/4 day trip to Catalina. We lucked out because Capt. Devoe was at the helm, with almost as many crew members as there was fisherman. Left the dock at 7:15am, with 21 fisherman on board. It was a nice barf ride to the island, crazy swell with mixed in winds really rocked us around. It was about a 2 hour and some change boat ride to the island and let me tell you when we got to the the island it was NICE! Sun was nice and bright, water was clean and blue, but the water temp was cold :nopity:. Well Capt. Devoe took us to his rockfish spot and first drop I pulled a double hook-up, as was everyone else on the boat. Many assorted fish where pulled 4 Sheephead - 9 Sculpin - 97 Rockfish - 3 Whitefish - 1 Blue perch - 31 Red snapper. I was rigged up with a dropper loop, double hook and 8 oz weight. So now that I reeled up two keepers first drop I knew this was going to be a decent trip. I baited my hooks with frozen squid and dropped again and this time it felt different, I felt something nudge, nudge, nudge, then BAM! All of a sudden 300 feet felt like 3,000 feet, It felt like I was reeling forever, Capt. Devoe looks over and starts running for the gaff and up comes my personal record and Jackpot of the day, Mr. sheepshead :finger:.

[​IMG]

He measured right under 22" didn't weight it but he was meaty. I know its not a WSB or a Yellow but it felt good going to Catalina knowing that fishing was not too great and to be able to pull this nice speciman of a fish made my trip. Next spot we fly lined nicely cured sardines for 2- Bonita, 5-Calicos, we had some newbies on board so that explains these numbers, and seals galore :2gunsfiring_v1: didn't help. Gotta give a lot of credit to the Captain and the crew they did a great job with everyone, if your looking for a nice trip to Catalina this is the boat you want to be on. Left the jackpot money on the boat, Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Wow very nice trip. Great read too as well.

Youre absolutely right about the island.....awesome weather, just slow with the fishing.

Glad you got your PB sheep. Nice fatty

3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Great looking goat, steamed and dipped in butter yum yum, poor man's lobster!

4. tsurikichi

tsurikichi Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi HBfisherman,

Nice job on the Goat !! Great report and pics. Any personal best is to be celebrated ..... any species !! Did you say 300 ....... feet ...... yep sure enough. Don't guess anyone did any plastics thing after that ?

tsurikichi

5. osidefishin

osidefishin big daddy

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    18' Klamath cc " Second chance "
    very nice goat.way to go.

6. calibassin

calibassin Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    no boat yet
    Dam thats a monster SHEEP!!!!!

7. HBfisherman

HBfisherman H2

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Shamrock CC
    Thanks for the comments guys, I haven't ate it yet but hopefully that will come tonight. Haven't decided if I want to steam it or fry it.