Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Winner jackpot are about 50/50 good guys and bad guys. Suppose the guy on the tank spots a squid in the tank….(or any hot bait) When I worked, I appreciated all who participated in the jackpot, never sold my soul to get the good guy to win. 50 years ago I worked 1/2 day, my money was on the fillet boards. 10-20 cents a fish fillet. Zero tips from customer, 30 bucks from the landing and they taxed that.

Customer tips on a 1/2 day boat? Please….

Upvote 0

RockHopperNCKA

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 25, 2017
    Santa Rosa, CA
    www.norcalkayakanglers.com
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    Do kayaks count?
    Great, some new guy from Quebec uses his first post to dig up a 2 year old post about jackpots and tips. That is just what we need right now when giant BFT are biting a stones throw out of San Diego. Forget about posting info about fishing and let's spend all of our time and effort talking about jackpots and tips. Talk about beating a dead horse.
    Not to mention it was more of an ad for Bitcoins, or whatever, than anything else.

Reactions: gettingbentwithbo
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    People should consider the cost to get in the jack pot a part of the crew tip. If you win the jackpot, Just hand it over straight to the crew along with the tip you were planning to give them. You already got bragging rights for winning the jackpot and that should make anyone happy. As Bill W said, What if your at the tank and there's some hot baits in the tank and fishing is a pick bite needing a good healthy bait from the guy on the tank, If you won a jackpot on that boat in the past or really took care of the crew ($$$$), More than likely the guy on the tank will take care of you as will the rest of the crew members, Now look at the opposite side to that. Your probably going to get one of those baits with a red nose and no scales on it. The crew will never forget someone that stiffed them or gave a shitty tip. Does that make it easier to decide what to do with the Jackpot $$.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    As you may or may not know I don't live in the states but find the whole issue of tipping very complicated and uncomfortable.
    What would the reaction be if a charter operator charged more than the average, paid the crew a better wage and had a no tipping policy?
    Just a question not a critisism..
    I live here and agree with you 100 percent.

Reactions: Vanmungo
    Upvote 0

CrustyOne

Legend in my own mind
    Mar 7, 2017
    Back in SoCal
    Name
    Crusty
    Boat
    minidrifter
    I'm on a roll. Won jackpots on my last 3 trips...10 day, 2.5 day and overnight. Left all the money on the boat since I used to work in the fleet and know how important side $$ is. YMMV.

dead.gif

Upvote 0

Fathomx

Old Guy
    Jan 27, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Wrapper
    Boat
    It's gone
    They only get to the boat an hour earlier than you and leave 1-2 hours after you, work holidays because you want to go fishing and miss out on going out with friends and spending time with family on weekends but okay
    I work 10 hour+ days, and often weekends to so I can go fishing. When I am working I miss out on spending time with my family and friends. I don't collect unemployment or any other handouts, but okay.

Upvote 0

MikeyDaChef

May 24, 2020
    San diego
    Name
    Mikey
    Boat
    Tomahawk
    it was always appreciated, but never expected. i feel most that did do it closed out their/their parties galley tabs and gave the rest or kept a hundo and gave the rest to crew. and since i was the one settling tabs i would see it all. we do work our asses off and do 20+ hour days and we do survive on side, but as stated above. we all do love to fish and choose to be out there. on the flip side, we do remember the ones who do give JP to the crew, as they are likely to return and do the same if given the chance. and you bet your ass if i'm on the tank i'm giving him the primo sardino! and FYI the guy that says "if i win JP, its going to the crew" is keeping every dollar 🤣 the greatest day was when the cap got rid of JP. changes the vibe for the better amongst passengers, i think.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Don't have to deal with jackpot shenanigans when you don't enter. I got on a multi day trip and when I went to check in the DH was like $30 please and I asked what for? $5 for soda/coffee and $25 for jackpot. When I said I didn't want to be part of the JP he gave me a really confused/dirty look.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Yeah, I haven’t seen a boat jackpot in years since I don’t fish anything shorter than an overnighter. That said, the charter I’m going on at the end of the month will have a charter jackpot. If I’m fortunate enough to win, it’ll go to the crew.

Reactions: Paulo Grandez
    Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Theres a few boats now who wont even givee you jacpot money until your at the top of the dock, I feel like this is a way so your not obligated to pay out the crew with it. Personally If I get JP I tip a little extra but I keep the money, I payed the 40$ or whatever to get in so its for me to keep.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Theres a few boats now who wont even givee you jacpot money until your at the top of the dock, I feel like this is a way so your not obligated to pay out the crew with it. Personally If I get JP I tip a little extra but I keep the money, I payed the 40$ or whatever to get in so its for me to keep.

it’s $40 to get in the jackpot now? Short trip or multi-day?

Tugboat64
    Tugboat64
    2.5 day on the excel. 3/4 day boats were like 10-15$
    60 on my 8 dayer in June
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Latest posts