JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
On several occasions when the smaller bluefin are biting bait, while using 25 and 30# leader with a small #4 non ringed Mutu I Would feel my bait get picked up And I slowly slide the lever forward Only to feel a little thud and no hookset. I am almost certain the Circle hook and bait is being pulled out of the fishes mouth. Some other guys who were doing really well were using small j hooks Fishing them like a circle and they didn’t lose any more or less than anyone else. I’ve given this some thought and the only thing I can think of is the circle hook wasn’t finding the corner of the mouth and just pulling out.. have any of you guys ever had this happen? And when fishing 25|30# leaders what hooks do you like and how long do you wait until you start sliding the lever forward?

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
For typical smaller grade fish i gave up on circle hooks a long time ago.I tried them and saw zero benefit.I've yet to hook a fish on a circle hook even practicing the standard of not setting the hook with the rod.

Haly0

Pescado hunter
Aug 10, 2015
Surf city, usa
Name
Hal
Boat
lightest load party boat available
All depends on the bait, for bluefin & small bait? Small beaked j hooks. Big bait, hook shy ? Small circle hooks.

Yellowfin and yellowtail fishing Mustad J hooks only.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Small bait I like J hooks, so much easier to get the hook in the bait. Big baits like mackerel I like a circle.

Reactions: Haly0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Back in thedays when NOBODY used circle hooks the tuna ive gaffed unhooked etc were 95% in the corner anyway...

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
circles are for people with really slow reflexes. Short shank j hook all the way

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
Alright nice I just got a bunch of 94151 mustad Short shank j hooks size 2, 1 and 1/0. That is all I am going to use from now on for these smaller fish and fish them like a circle

94151 are some of the best hooks ever made. Nice barb, sharpen super well, and strong. Also the price makes them literally disposable. Plus, if you break off, that hook will rust out. Only downside is you gotta keep them water tight or spray some wd40 or corrosionX on them.

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
94151 are some of the best hooks ever made. Nice barb, sharpen super well, and strong. Also the price makes them literally disposable. Plus, if you break off, that hook will rust out. Only downside is you gotta keep them water tight or spray some wd40 or corrosionX on them.
That’s is good to know I will make sure my hands are 100% dry before I Grab one from the bunch

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Alright nice I just got a bunch of 94151 mustad Short shank j hooks size 2, 1 and 1/0. That is all I am going to use from now on for these smaller fish and fish them like a circle
I picked up a bunch of mustard circle
Hooks, and after a few baits,
I end up just using my ringed Flyliners ,
For the rest of the trip, and do just fine.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
too many different scenarios.
big tuna = Owner Circles
WSB = Mutu Lite Circles
Structure Bass = 9174's
Yellows = 9174's
Lings w/Mackerel = treble stingers

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
too many different scenarios.
big tuna = Owner Circles
WSB = Mutu Lite Circles
Structure Bass = 9174's
Yellows = 9174's
Lings w/Mackerel = treble stingers
For WSB, I used the 5/0 Ahi twist,
For a dropper loop set up ,
And it worked fine.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I was out last week on a 2 day trip and most of the blufin were between 30 and 40 lbs. You had to use small hooks and 25lb line to get bit. I was using #2 and #4 J hooks and fishing them like you would a circle. I landed two 30lb blufin and a 40lb yellowfin, all hooked in the corner of the mouth.
I also lost 3 nice fish. On one the hook pulled after about 5 minutes. The other 2 seemed like bigger fish and on both of them I got chewed off after a 20 or 30 minute fight. The blufin wouldn't hit a big bait and seemed to like the small 2" or 2.5" sardines. It seemed like maybe the smaller baits were getting swallowed deeper in the mouth and throat and the J hooks were getting caught there and not in the corner of the mouth.
I am going on a 2.5 day trip this Friday and I picked up some #2 Gamakatsu Nautilus circle hooks to try. I plan to use both the J hooks and the small circle hooks and see what works best.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
On several occasions when the smaller bluefin are biting bait, while using 25 and 30# leader with a small #4 non ringed Mutu I Would feel my bait get picked up And I slowly slide the lever forward Only to feel a little thud and no hookset. I am almost certain the Circle hook and bait is being pulled out of the fishes mouth. Some other guys who were doing really well were using small j hooks Fishing them like a circle and they didn’t lose any more or less than anyone else. I’ve given this some thought and the only thing I can think of is the circle hook wasn’t finding the corner of the mouth and just pulling out.. have any of you guys ever had this happen? And when fishing 25|30# leaders what hooks do you like and how long do you wait until you start sliding the lever forward?
I prefer circle hooks. Last week, I landed five YFT (20# avg) on Mustad #1 ringed circle hook and 25# fluoro leader. I let the fish run about five seconds and then add drag. Circle hooks are easier to remove and get back on the bite.

Reactions: JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Not yet
From the looks of the poll, it seems most of you guys usually use non-ringed hooks. Is it because the ring is just more metal for the fish to see?

Mr. DRE

Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
I switched to Owner mutu hooks non ringed for smaller baits/lighter lines. For larger baits/heavier lines ringed mutu and for jumbos super mutu. I don't usually have a problem hooking up (compared to other anglers) and almost always get a clean corner hookset. This also reduces fray on the leader and I can land a fish and usually get right back in the water without retying the know. With J hooks I found that I would end up tying leader more frequently. In addition with medium or larger fish that like to roll over during their circles I found that in occasion the fish would bite the line and end up loosing it at or near gaff.

Reactions: Almud

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
I use what ever size hook in the size I need, the one thing that to me seems more important is , it being a ringed hook , if it's not I use the palomar knot , that free swinging hook to me increases catch rate.. with live bait or dead bait...
over and out ..

Paulo Grandez

Sep 28, 2014
Name
Paulo
Boat
N/A
I have only ever used ringed circle hooks and I'll continue to use them.

Smaller hooks like size 2 aren't available in "circle" you can get em ringed but not circle.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Paulo -- Try the Owner Mutu circle hook in size 4. Tiny, wicked sharp, very strong. I make it a ringed hook by adding a #4 Owner split ring. If the fish bites the bait, it's hooked perfectly. And it can handle a strong fight, I have tuna up to 40 pounds on that tiny hook.

And you can make a ringed hook out of any hook that you prefer by adding the Owner split ring.

Reactions: Paulo Grandez

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Paulo -- Try the Owner Mutu circle hook in size 4. Tiny, wicked sharp, very strong. I make it a ringed hook by adding a #4 Owner split ring. If the fish bites the bait, it's hooked perfectly. And it can handle a strong fight, I have tuna up to 40 pounds on that tiny hook.

And you can make a ringed hook out of any hook that you prefer by adding the Owner split ring.
or you can do a palomar knot.....

Reactions: goldfinger81