FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I got called to duty to help out a BD member that got their anchor stuck in 90ft at Izors.

The anchor was suppose to be marked at the surface by a bouy/fender but after a long search there was no bouy be found.

Since I was there ready to dive anyways I suited up and dropped down to a reef I never dove before..

When I got to the bottom I quickly realized that finding it would be a needle in a hay stack since this reef is made of huge piles of what looks like telephone poles stacked upto 10ft off the bottom.

I started to swim looking for rope or chain and quickly saw a chain but after following it I found a small cheap anchor so I moved on and found another chain which turned out to be another cheaper anchor.

So I am swimming along again and yes another chain but it had alot of growth so I knew it wasn't the right one but it was a nice bruce anchor so I cut the rope and attached my lift bag and sent it to the surface.

I used over half my air and had 5min left to look around for the right anchor....I quickly find another chain and follow it to the anchor but it also was not the right one.

When I get back on the boat I find out that the anchor I found was the exact same anchor so I failed to find "his" anchor but atleast he got one that will work for his boat.

Now here is my views of Izors,its just mounds of piled up poles and is the worse reef I have ever seen for anchoring so let this be a warning to everyone DO NOT DROP YOUR ANCHOR IN THE REEF AREA OF IZORS or you will lose it.

Even if you have a breakaway between your anchor and chain it will not matter since not only was the anchors stuck the chain was wrapped around the poles.

P.S. the reef is full of life and I saw sheephead, calico's, sandbass, cabazon, and tons of smaller reef fish.
I certainly can vouch for your diving ability as it relates to finding stuff on the ocean floor.
Still have the SD8 Roger?
Happy Holidays!

scubapro5

WanaBe Moderator
Jul 2, 2003
Downey,Ca
Name
Roger
Boat
What Boat?
I certainly can vouch for your diving ability as it relates to finding stuff on the ocean floor.
Still have the SD8 Roger?
Happy Holidays!
Hey John yep still got the pole!

That was a fun dive in which I speared 2 halibut, found your pole and found another lost pole.

I looked everywhere on Allcoast for my dive report of that day but I could not find it :(

Reactions: streetnfish

Red Drum

Paradiddle-diddle
Mar 15, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Name
Capt. Vinnie
Boat
Big Drum-2300 Seaswirl Striper...Red Drum-1500 Duroboat
Hey John yep still got the pole!

That was a fun dive in which I speared 2 halibut, found your pole and found another lost pole.

I looked everywhere on Allcoast for my dive report of that day but I could not find it :(
I remember reading that report the day you posted it, that was pretty cool. Have a Merry Christmas.