scubapro5

WanaBe Moderator
Jul 2, 2003
Downey,Ca
Name
Roger
Boat
What Boat?
I got called to duty to help out a BD member that got their anchor stuck in 90ft at Izors.

The anchor was suppose to be marked at the surface by a bouy/fender but after a long search there was no bouy be found.

Since I was there ready to dive anyways I suited up and dropped down to a reef I never dove before..

When I got to the bottom I quickly realized that finding it would be a needle in a hay stack since this reef is made of huge piles of what looks like telephone poles stacked upto 10ft off the bottom.

I started to swim looking for rope or chain and quickly saw a chain but after following it I found a small cheap anchor so I moved on and found another chain which turned out to be another cheaper anchor.

So I am swimming along again and yes another chain but it had alot of growth so I knew it wasn't the right one but it was a nice bruce anchor so I cut the rope and attached my lift bag and sent it to the surface.

I used over half my air and had 5min left to look around for the right anchor....I quickly find another chain and follow it to the anchor but it also was not the right one.

When I get back on the boat I find out that the anchor I found was the exact same anchor so I failed to find "his" anchor but atleast he got one that will work for his boat.

Now here is my views of Izors,its just mounds of piled up poles and is the worse reef I have ever seen for anchoring so let this be a warning to everyone DO NOT DROP YOUR ANCHOR IN THE REEF AREA OF IZORS or you will lose it.

Even if you have a breakaway between your anchor and chain it will not matter since not only was the anchors stuck the chain was wrapped around the poles.

P.S. the reef is full of life and I saw sheephead, calico's, sandbass, cabazon, and tons of smaller reef fish.

Last edited:

wayniac

Dec 28, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Wayne Fultz
Boat
31 Bertram Wings of the Morning
Whats you r view on the Newport reef.. some of the same? Ive lost a few hooks there.. 2 last year..email me you r phone #
Wayne 94 9 3789 864

Mike_I

Well-Known "Member"
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 "First Love"
I remember years ago watching a crane placing old concrete street light poles at Izor’s. It would be interesting to see pictures.

Reactions: marlyn

Stoughty Rods

BOOYAA
Jul 11, 2004
Upland, CA
www.stoughtonprinting.com
Name
Mike
Boat
"Undertow" - 24' Wellcraft

SeaAddict

Captain Magellan
Jan 21, 2011
Long Beach
Name
Danysdee
Boat
Seacraft potter 23
Thanks for the advice .... anchored there before an had hell getting the anchor out..... those poles youre talking about could of been street light poles but usually they are dock or wharf piles that were pulled out and dumped there for fish habitat..... thats the work i do.... you be suprised how many of these spot are not in maps just outside between long beach and newport....

Last edited:

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Did you take the Foshizzle?

Sounds like an anchor graveyard. All that chain should be worth a few bucks ;)

PS I left one a few miles north of there let me know next time your up at Rocky Point LOL

scubapro5

WanaBe Moderator
Jul 2, 2003
Downey,Ca
Name
Roger
Boat
What Boat?
Did you take the Foshizzle?

Sounds like an anchor graveyard. All that chain should be worth a few bucks ;)

PS I left one a few miles north of there let me know next time your up at Rocky Point LOL
I went out on the guys boat that lost his anchor....If this reef was closer to my home port I would go salvaging anchors there all the time

row

Mar 5, 2006
Los Angeles
Name
Chris Rowey
Boat
28 Tolly Craft, Open Water
Thanks for your help yesterday Roger. At least we got a replacement anchor out of it. Thoase were some expensive calicos and sandies I caught that day!

scubapro5

WanaBe Moderator
Jul 2, 2003
Downey,Ca
Name
Roger
Boat
What Boat?
Thanks for your help yesterday Roger. At least we got a replacement anchor out of it. Thoase were some expensive calicos and sandies I caught that day!
Hey Chris nice to meet you....I left your name out of the report just in case you wanted it on the downlow lol