Izor's Reef and Long Beach Breakwall 9/5 - 9/6 Yellowtail inside longbeach harbor?

PENN

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
Late report,

Took the boat out on Saturday 9/5. Left Davies at 5:00 and skipped bait since we were to fish for calicos. It was very nice day with minimum swell, and pretty much no wind until we came back in at 1. But fishing was really slow. Moved around most of the high spots picking on perch with frozen squid, couple calicos, biggest being 14 inch. Moved inside break wall to fish for opaleyes, and even that was not successful. Water temp at Izor's and inside the break wall was 63, 64. Found some sheepheads and bass using underwater drone and we sent out bait right on top of them but still no bite. I guess they don't like frozen squid.

So, the next day (Sunday around 4:00 pm), I took my kids out to inside breakwall to fish for sheephead and I took shrimp and only shrimp. Ended up catching 3 sheepheads, 2 being legal size but didn't take any home.
Highlight of the day was, kids were fishing for mackerels using makeral strips and my 10 year old son goes, "Dad!!, I caught something big! this isn't mackerel, I can't reel it in!", so I was telling him "keep on reeling in, you might have a big Calico on there". So he tries to reel it in and he can't even hold on to the rod, so I run over to him and help him reel in the fish by supporting the rod. After about 10 min of fight, we see it in deep color, and it's shiny and about 24 inches. First I call," may be it's a big bonito, keep reeling! Reel! Reel!" Now we see it closer, wait's it's not a bonito, it's a yellowtail!!! Never seen or caught a yellowtail inside long beach harbor! and to boot, with a mackerel strip! So I tell him to hold on tight to the rod, I'll grab the net. and as soon as I grab the net, the line snaps!. it wasn't huge, but I would guess definitely over 24 inches. It was on 8 lb line, so I guess we are lucky to even see what it actually was. It was his first yellowtail, so he was bummed, but he said he'll be back to catch that yellow next time.
I didn't take my camera out, so no picture of yellowtail. But what a fun weekend it was! except boat traffic.

Is it normal to catch a yellowtail inside long beach harbor? Never caught one before!

Video of not exciting Saturday with underwater footage of longbeach break wall

Upvote 0

warhead

Jul 18, 2003
San Pedro, Ca
Name
Jerry
Boat
Tiara 3600 Open
Back in the 80's when the Cabrillo beach fishing pier sold live bait we used to catch bonito, barracuda and the occasional yellowtail. Not often, but I got lucky a few times.
The trick was to use long surf rod. Cast out a heavy pyramid weight to create a sort of zip-line. Then use a bobber with your live bait on a leader and let it ride the zip-line to the water. This way you were able to get the bobber and bait to stay away from the pier.

Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
Good to know that they do come by occasionally. I've heard people catching them outside the wall several years ago but never really heard them from inside. I wonder if they are home guards or moved in recently. If they moved in, may be it's time to hit horseshoes for yellow tails soon !? Hope it's a good sign!

Upvote 0

JAY T

Jan 7, 2016
ONTARIO CA
Name
JAY TERRY
Boat
GREGOR
We saw one that was probably 4 pounds deep in the back of the harbor about a month ago. it swam right in front of us about 2 feet under the water. It didn't look real healthy. We were shocked

Reactions: RodRage
Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Yes - they make a seasonal appearance way inshore and near the breakwall and even inside LB harb. It's typically short lived but we have picked off several through the years.

Absolutely nothing to do with lack of fishing and kelp growth - but what do I know.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I caught one under a single tern bird back in 2015. He was about a 4 pounder and I was halfway in between L.B. and L.A. lights close to the wall. I had a pic of him held up selfie style but I deleted it. Only 1 I ever caught inside the wall, they do come through.

Reactions: naldodook
    Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
    Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat
    Wanting a bigger boat
    Back in 2015 or 16 I had wide open YT on izors all to myself, no other boat except the patriot who was about a mile and a half away. Back in the 90’s dorado used to circle the bait barge, only heard of it one time but if that has happened I don’t doubt one bit that yellowtail are in that harbor

Upvote 0