tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
I fished local again Sunday for a slow pick on the Sandras and maybe a few missed Butts.

I was fishing by 9am in beautiful conditions.

Lots of bait in the water again today. I put the sabiki out while I was rigging my plastic and before the lead hit the bottom my bait stick was bouncing pretty good. I reeled up the line and found a full gangion of mini-macs. There were huge clouds of them just below the surface, the clear blue water and sunny day made it a great sight. Unfortunately, the bigger fish didn't come out and play for me as all the baits I soaked came up without a scratch on them.

I soaked some dead squid as well and had a few short runs that only resulted in headless cephalopods. I may go for a trap rig and stick one next time.

I moved into the Emmy area and C&Rd smaller but legal size sand bass. Gotta nice rip on the bait rod again, picked it up and let the fish take line on free spool, waited for a good 5 count and pulled up another thrashed squid body.

Headed for home at 1300 and had the boat in the driveway by 1400. Maybe next time….

Tight lines,

Steve

UnReel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Thanks for the report Steve. You sure have been making up for lost time on the water lately ;) :D.

tsurikichi

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ron
Boat
10' 2 1/64"
Hi tuner,

Nice little outing and a good re-cap of what's going out in those areas. I get my trap rigs (multi-strand-wire) from a guy that is a big-time float-tuber. His are specifically for Halibut and a bait of choice being Smelt but .......

tsurikichi

Fisha

skipper
Aug 3, 2006
Orange
Name
Dave
Boat
24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
nice report.....next time!!

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Thanks for the report Steve. You sure have been making up for lost time on the water lately ;) :D.
I'm try'n :D. Annette lets me steal a few hours each weekend and keep my sanity :loverz:

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Hi tuner,

Nice little outing and a good re-cap of what's going out in those areas. I get my trap rigs (multi-strand-wire) from a guy that is a big-time float-tuber. His are specifically for Halibut and a bait of choice being Smelt but .......

tsurikichi
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. In the 80's, I used to make halibut and cuda rigs from single and multi-strand wire, though not with trap hooks. It sounds like a great idea to revisit. Would you mind posting a diagram of the hook types and wire arrangement?

Steve

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Thanks for the report Steve..hang in there..once this week of weather goes by
it will be almost March..and hopefully the whole thing will warm up and go OFF!