Offshore Its really starting to piss me off

Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
La Reina
Find someone with a 300 gm. Pink Daiwa SK jig and give him whatever he wants for it. Then go on a sport boat that is willing to fish all night. With that combination, your chances of landing a nice bluefin will go way up.

Upvote 0

slcbcsmx19

Sep 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Erick Thacker
Boat
Big
I feel your pain, went two years without a bite myself, on sport boats, 6-8 paid trips. Really hurts watching first timers from Minnesota go on an overnight and land 100 pounders. I finally got the skunk off on my last overnight, got a 50#er on 20 lb flyline and #2 hook. Fished hard aaall day, went 1/1 and feel very fortunate at that.

Doing it yourself on a private boat is really hard. Especially lately the biggest advantage for the sport boats is the bait capacity. Being able to brail up the willing schools is a huge advantage, even if you only get 1 bite in 5 foamers, 1/5 aint bad. Maybe setup some extra short term bait tanks (maybe a fish tank pump in a couple five gallon buckets???) then empty the buckets as they empty to get rid of extra weight. Seems from the reports the best strategy has been the kite, or finding a giant area of fishing cruising through and light line/tiny hook flyline until you get lucky. Flatfalls will wake up late in the season at night. Good luck dude 🤙

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Have you tried downsizing? I hear that the majority of the close stuff is keyed in on huge schools of small anchovies.

Upvote 0

T-Tang

Far from newbie, but lifetime learner
Jul 27, 2006
Dana Point
Name
Tyson
Boat
21' Bayliner Trophy
Eat lots of garlic, lol. Seriously, I know how frustrating it is. I was on a trip last season where everybody on the boat was hooked up on the flatfall at night and I couldn't get bit to save my life. That was "water torture", pun intended. The only thing different that I can think of, was that everyone was using some kind of striped pattern flatfall, while I was using a plain glow in the dark buffalo 320g. I have never caught a fish on the flatfall and don't know why I keep buying them.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
I've have at least 8-10 trips in the last couple months and have yet to land one bf. Had them boiling around the boat so thick I could have walked on them. I'm no beginner by any means been fishing my entire life even worked in the industry from seiners to long range boats still can't even get bit. WTF do I have to do in order to get meat on the boat
I'm a private boat guy, just like you. Because we aren't big sporties with directional side scan and huge bait tanks, our approach has to be quite a bit different. The number one fact to remember is bluefin and boats don't mix.
Here's my take on bluefin; As far as run and gun goes, while I love it as much as the next guy, it only works on cooperative fish that haven't been mauled by other boats repeatedly. When you do choose to run and gun, change it up from poppers and surface iron. While they do catch fish, stick baits will be more productive day in and day out. Start with the Rapala Subwalk 15, the Nomad Riptide 105 Long Cast, and the Strategic Angler Micros. If you keep getting the cold shoulder, it's time to change tactics.
The second strategy is dead flyers on the kite. Entire articles have been written on this technique and there's really nothing I can add to what's already been written on this subject. It works.
The third and my favorite is "sniping". Set your fish finder to read the top 400' of the water column and drive around at 8-10 knots in an area that you know holds fish. As soon as you mark fish, throw the boat into reverse and stop directly above the marks. The directly above thing is pretty important. Drop knife or speed jigs on these marks, making sure you're dropping deeper than the marks are showing. Metered line is really helpful here. Do the pump and wind up past the fish a ways and drop back past them. Rinse and repeat. If you haven't hooked up in 5 minutes, keep moving and find some more marks. Done correctly, you can average one hookup for every 4-6 stops using this method.
The next is the "dead boat" method and this one requires patience. Find an area that you're pretty sure is holding fish and shut everything down, including your fish finder. No stereo, no clunking around in the boat, no noise at all. You'll have to leave your bait pump running of course but it's a steady noise and doesn't seem to affect things.
Set out several sinker rigs at varying depths with good bait and simply drift. If you wonder if your rigs are deep enough, go deeper. Most people set far too shallow. 100' deep minimum. Set up a chunk bait chum line and keep it going as long as you need to. Every so often, send one of those chunks back with a well hidden hook in it. Volumes have been written on how to chunk tuna and the exact technique matters. Read up on it. Run a fly lined bait up top just to cover your bases and let the fish find you. They will if you have the patience to let them do it and you're in the right area. You're clearly not having trouble finding them so this shouldn't be an issue for you. If you're not getting bit, downsize. You may not have much of a chance with a cow class fish on 30# but you have to get bit to worry about it. Knowing there's fish present but not willing to cooperate is your best clue as far as when it's time to scale down. Sometimes you have to roll the dice if you want to play, good circles are your best weapon here.
Your mileage may vary, but these are techniques we've had excellent success with.

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Spreader Bar. Trolled back super far.
    Im making them now here in San Diego. PM if you want one. Last trip, 8 BFT, zero on kite, all fish on the bar.

5F61635E-770D-4D2D-873A-604D3839B5B7.jpeg

087E085A-3015-4949-B838-C4F7B09A5FB5.jpeg

C3B30F69-9914-4B75-BD67-B24F8C41A22C.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Trolled back super far.
    That right there is the key to taking BFT on the troll. No matter what I’m running when trolling bluefin, it’s so far back there most would consider it crazy. The way way way back trolling spread is regarded as holy doctrine in other regions where BFT are commonly caught on the troll.

Upvote 0

pascuale

• Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    That right there is the key to taking BFT on the troll. No matter what I’m running when trolling bluefin, it’s so far back there most would consider it crazy. The way way way back trolling spread is regarded as holy doctrine in other regions where BFT are commonly caught on the troll.
    First time I used the Spreader Bar I couldnt believe how far back my buddy put it. Like 300 yards. It worked😎

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brothers.... Fred Archer would love this conversation. His patriarchal pursuit to educate anglers on the advantages of the spreader bars is legendary!! For those who know.... I say no more.

Like the kite.... like the flyer... like using a bird.... like downriggers.... like planers.... like the chunk.... think out of the box my BD Brothers. Again.... when the others skippers are out of trick.... and out of luck.....you still have a few tricks up your sleeve!!! "Fishing Magician"

P.S. Pascuale... has some Nice bars Brothers... dont be afraid... to have another angling "advantage" on your boat. You can post your successes later....lol. It you haven't seen the bar work.... it should be on your fishing "bucket list". Just my thoughts and experience...

Last edited:
    Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Im making them now here in San Diego. PM if you want one. Last trip, 8 BFT, zero on kite, all fish on the bar.

View attachment 1299645

View attachment 1299646

View attachment 1299647

View attachment 1299645

View attachment 1299646

View attachment 1299647
    Are the squid style the most effective?

W
    woodfish330
    Yes... and most manageable as well. There are other configurations... simpler... or more complex... its up to you. Traditional bars use squid for that reason. Note the "birds" in front of the squid... for more commotion as well.
    Upvote 0
    Sep 13, 2018
    East County
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Skipjack

View attachment 1299645

View attachment 1299645

View attachment 1299646

View attachment 1299647
    If this is who I think it is you already gave me one and I've pulled it all over the pacific ocean and so far all I caught was the attention of many sport boat captains that have turned on it many times I even had one sport boat call me on the radio asking if I was dragging that jig or if it was fish busting on it. I can fool a captain but not a fish.

Upvote 0

pascuale

• Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    Who do you think this is? You never got anything from me thats for sure.

Upvote 0

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
    Granada Hills CA.
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    Kid you not. I had a similar issue on my last trip with fish boiling everywhere and no bites. A guy at work told me of people using trout bobbers to stop the dine from sinking and keeping them within a few feet from the surface. Will it work? I don’t know but it kind of makes sense.

See attached pic.

660B8E19-49CD-47E5-8F93-39D37A048968.png

Upvote 0

Gofishagain

Oct 27, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    denis martin
    Boat
    Robalo r23
    I've have at least 8-10 trips in the last couple months and have yet to land one bf. Had them boiling around the boat so thick I could have walked on them. I'm no beginner by any means been fishing my entire life even worked in the industry from seiners to long range boats still can't even get bit. WTF do I have to do in order to get meat on the boat
    Feeling your pain bro. I have been skunked all season until yesterday when I had two hookups, unfortunately both snapped my 25lb and 40lb flouro. Been out 4-5 times myself and been chasing the BFT for the past month with no luck. Hooked into a 80lb or so hog for an hour inside the fleet. Tail wrapped to the boat and missed with the gaff. Out solo cost me. I pulled a muscle in my bicep to boot which makes the frustration even more painful. On a positive note the amount of fish out there is incredible. I am sidelined for a bit but stay on it with fly lining the boils and long soaks with a chum line. I used squid chunks and got hit pretty quick.

Upvote 0
    Sep 13, 2018
    East County
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Skipjack
    What do you put on your hands...while on the boat.... any soap? Sunscreen? Anything? I'm with you brother.... just checking for ANYTHING unusual. A couple of trips... got it. 5 no bite trips.... really tough but possible. 8 - 10 trips with zero bites... perplexing for sure.

Next thought.... spectra "contamination". A number of years ago.... diesel exhaust contamination.... from continued use while trolling.... evident because it was white colored spectra.... caused a similar conundrum.

Anytime you would cast a bait with it.... jig with it.... anything... you'd see a slight "sheen" on the water. Although.... only a couple of hundred yards was discolored.... we believed the moisture / diesel just "wicked" into the rest of the.line. We didn't make the connection... never a "bite" on that reel. We would joke that it was "jinxed".... for almost a whole summer. In a lucky break... we changed out the spectra to use it as a kite reel. Never had to tell me again to wash my spectra.

Not gonna tell you to replace it.... but consider ALL possibilities. Borrow a couple of your close fishing buddies setups.... and use them instead of your own on a number of bites... You never know. Wishing you good luck... and keep your chin up. It may be as easy as handsoap..... or a spectra wash . Search for a common denominator..... and NEVER say NEVER. You'll get one for sure.
    This may have been the problem, I changed only on my bait stick and was picked up on first cast out.

Upvote 0