It's November and it ain't over yet

Discussion in 'Baja Bytes By Gary Graham' started by Baja Bytes, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Baja Bytes

Baja Bytes Baja Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Gary Graham
    Boat:
    Watercloset
    Baja Bytes Weekly Overview-Friday
    November 4, 2016
    Gary Graham
    Que Pasa

[​IMG]

On the first day of the WON Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot, angler Chucky Van Wormer, of East Cape’s Van Wormer Resorts, stunned local and visiting anglers alike by landing a massive 298-pound yellowfin tuna aboard the Tu Corazon on the Gordo Banks with captain Alejandro Castro.

Caught on squid, even after a strong bite, they were unsure of what they had hooked. After a three hour fight during which they brought the fish up to the boat seven times, they were finally able to bring this massive tuna aboard!

Coronado Islands

Report pending. …Fishdope.com

Ensenada

[​IMG]
    Report pending. …Sammy Susarrey Amador

San Quintín
    [​IMG]

Awsume day today in San Quintin, with John and Lelo of Pedro's Pandas . . . 250-feet down off San Martin, baboom! Big red and a ling red which measured 8 pounds plus a ling that weighed 7 pounds; didn't even try for yellows. Fresh fish for dinner! ...Alex Rekrut

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/old-man-catchen-reds.642083/

Bahía de Los Ángeles

[​IMG]

Another big fish to end the season – a 110-pound grouper; Robert, Bia, my brother and me. ...Enrique Daggett

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...-c-daggetts-sport-fishing-27-oct-2016.641641/

Gonzaga Bay

[​IMG]

Well, the first "first" was my rolling solo to Baja. I usually go with family or friends or both, but this trip was a spur of the moment, solo adventure in hopes of seeing new places and meeting new friends and that I did. …Bob Rehfuss

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/two-firsts-in-gonzaga.641904/

[​IMG]

Planned a trip to GB with rockodile John; we had a blast! We fished out of Papa Fernandez place; they have fixed the ramp and it works well, either high or low tide. We fished south the first two days and then two on the nearby islands. We postponed the trip a couple of times to work around the wind, but we had 4 beautiful windless days; it was not wide open but there were fish there if you fished your ass off as we did! If I was to take a guess at how many times we cast in the 4 days of fishing, I'd guess between 800 to 1000 times! I'm tired out as I write this report and hope you enjoy it! …Captain Juan

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/gonzaga-bay-with-rockodilejohn.641705/

Cedros Island

Report pending.

Bahía Ascensión

[​IMG]

Today's catch for our guests with Capt. Juan Arce Marron in Bahia Asuncion -- it was a nice day on the water and Marjorie & Charlie from San Felipe caught a nice, mixed bag of yellowtail, white fish, bonito, skipjack, calico, sand bass, black sea bass and a released manta ray!

[​IMG]

Fishing has been a challenge this week with the friggin’ lobos getting more fish than the boats! So Capt. Juan Arce decided to take a chance and troll for wahoo. . . .of course using his wahoo whisperer rapala he has come to love! This fatty is the biggest wahoo Juan has caught here -- over 80 pounds they said, and Mark and Luanne who came over from San Felipe were super stoked as it was their first one ever! We just BBQ'ed up one huge steak and it fed four of us and it was superb! The new superpanga is doing the trick! …Shari Bondy

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/big-ass-wahoo-in-asuncion-today.641840/

La Bocana

[​IMG]

Another fun trip to Didneylan with mi amigo Pablo -- 5 days fishing on calm seas. Hit the usual spots for yt to 30 pounds; grouper to 80 pounds (released) yft to 25 pounds, and amberjack, barracuda,triggerfish, calico bass, skipjack etc. Water temp 73 to 78. Bait hard to find but don't really need it. Took Mex 5 both ways. Easy drive, way better than Mex 1. …Baja John

Loreto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big boys are running around 30 to 36 inches and weighing over ten pounds!

We had a big upset blow into town this week from down south! It has kept a lot of the captains off the water and out of the fishing action.

No, it wasn't a tropical hurricane stirring things up!

At least a dozen white trucks from Mexico's "Hollywood" showed up to start filming a novela (TV drama-soap opera) about an election in a small town.

The filming action was taking place in the plaza in front of our city hall and in the sidelines were many hopeful fishing captains waiting to be "discovered."

I don't know what their odds are at hooking up with a career change. We have a few gems but nothing close to another Clark Gable!

As far as fishing goes the action on the water remains the same with an additional break in the wind.

Bottom fishing has been the best game in town although I did hear dorado and roosters were chasing bait up near La Picazon today.

When the current flows between Coronado Island's west side and the "mainland" a funnel is formed and in the current lines and eddies will be many surprises in both summer and winter.

This is a favorite spot for the fly fishing trips and I've caught 30-pound yellowtail and fat cabrilla in the same area.

At both Punta Lobo and Candeleras, huge huachinangos, pinto bass and whitefish are everyday visitors and the break-offs on bigger fish happen every trip. The violent break offs are most likely yellowtail, so say the captains.

Big grouper just put it in 1st gear and head off into the deep -- no hurry!

Our buddies from Puerto Escondido are still making the hopeful journey to Catalana when the winds allow looking for the wahoo bite.

Our Escondido weatherman, Ed Hoffman reports that his neighbors wanted to mix it up and took a shot at the fishing on our Pacific side. They got beat up by the wind just like here and came back with wahoo in the coolers.

Sounds the same, only with a two-hour dragging of the boat/trailer over the mountains to Mag Bay. ...Rick Hill, Pinchy Sportfishing

Magdalena Bay

[​IMG]

The choices were left on the table for a Tony Reyes Trip or Mag Bay. It was a tough decision but I had plenty of time. After countless emails and watching videos on YouTube as well as asking the Old Salty's about the destination, I was ready -- Mag Bay it was.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/viva-la-baja-2-murder-for-hire.641571/#post-4222798

La Paz

Report pending. … Jonathan Roldan, Tailhunter International

East Cape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 tuna and 1 marlin on the mi pistol. …Van Wormer Resorts

Report pending…Gary Barnes Webb

Report pending…Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort

San José Del Cabo

Anglers have continued to rely on slabs of squid as the main bait source for targeting the yellowfin tuna, which has been the most common species now being found. As dorado continue to be scarce and wahoo have not been consistent either, though they are showing some more signs of becoming more active. Other bait options were small skipjack, chihuil and caballito.

Most sportfishing fleets are concentrated on the areas from the Gordo Banks to Iman, San Luis and Vinorama. Recently the more consistent action switched from around the Iman Bank to the Gordo Banks, though heavy boat pressure and gusty winds have made efforts more challenging the past couple of days. The yellowfin tuna have ranged from 10-pound footballs, up to 200-pound-plus cows. Most of the tuna landed were in the 15- to 30-pound class. Action was up and down, sometimes not until later in the day, charters accounted for catches ranging from one yellowfin to a half dozen fish.

The few wahoo per day on an average that we have seen brought to the docks have been taken on slow-trolled trap hooked baits, as well as on Rapalas. Fish averaged 25 to 40 pounds. We expect with cooling conditions that the wahoo should start to bite more consistently, best areas recently were near Iman and to the north.

Nothing to speak of near shore now, though we did hear reports of some out of the normal season roosterfish seen off of the San Jose del Cabo resort stretch. A few more sierra are starting to be seen; sure would be nice if we would see signs of sardina moving in, but we have heard of no signs at all -- this limits options, especially for the winter inshore action.

The bottom has not been producing any consistent bite either; of course there are triggerfish, but only limited numbers of pargo, snapper, cabrilla or amberjack.

We did not see much billfish action this past week out of San Jose del Cabo; this is a transition period now for the blues, blacks, stripers and sailfish. These fish are in the area, but numbers are now more limited. …Eric Brictson, Gordo Banks Pangas

Los Cabos

Report pending. …Pisces Sportfishing

While reports of larger tuna have been discouraging most of the week, WON Los Cabos Tuna Jackpot with 168 teams, produced a remarkable number of yellowfin tuna on Thursday. The largest tipped the scale at 298-pounds -- by far the largest taken locally in some time and crushing several others weighing over 200 pounds also caught in the tournament.

PHOTO

Striper fishing is good on the Finger Bank, with double-digit releases being common. However, the cranky weather has prevented most boats from making the 52-mile journey into steep head seas.
    [​IMG]
    The other bright spot has been the wahoo fishing and again the largest of the week was a 53.2-pounder caught in the WON affair.

Sea-temps remain high and the inshore slow.

2. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Great report. Thanks.

3. Flyrbr

Flyrbr get a couple of gaffs in this

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    if it flies, floats or... you got it
    Congrats to the Van Wormer team and keep the battles with children's cancer going!

Baja Bytes likes this.
  4. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Awesome report Gary...I got one of those big Grouper on my bucket list for sure. LOL

Baja Bytes likes this.
  5. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    1 Cold Tuna
    Good stuff Gary

Baja Bytes likes this.