Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I hijacked Carl's bd account to put this out, right on uncle googan.........! I know how bad you wanted one...

Simonbonbowery
    IMG_7371_1.jpg
    IMG_7371_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Yep, we already knew he needs a shave.

'

CONGRATS !

Upvote 0

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
    Escondido
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    anything I can fish from
    Nice fish!
    ...and the bite goes on......
    This is the greatest Wahoo season ever in Southern California. Reports are daily about Wahoo and Blue Marlin. I remember when Opah catches would accumulate several pages of replies. Now, people are using Opah for giant Mako bait. Hahaha!
    What a season!

Reactions: rile-b-fishn
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    That's my Boy!!!

So what's the story Dork........ LOL
    Freakin Simon....I just walked in, fired up the grill and sat down to this thread. :D

Me and my buddy Alex that I work with at Dana Landing both had the day off today and made a plan to drag the marlin and hoo jigs and try to break my latest slump.:(
    His father was gracious enough to loan Alex his beautiful Fountain for the day so we could fish. :daman:

We started at the S9 and worked S jumping high spots trolling the jigs, looking for life. We got down around Simon and Mikey the hoo slayers area and still weren't seeing life. Alex the wahoo and dinghy marlin slayer pulled out his phone and pulled up a chloro shot from the day before which showed us to be in off colored water which was still the case. The edge was a few miles W of us with a high spot that we agreed would be a good combo to check out. Pulled the jigs and ran again..

I saw a bird and then another get off the water in the distance and I told Alex there was some birds getting up, maybe off a paddy. He turned that way and saw them too. As we cruised closer it just kinda looked lifey with birds and there was a paddy still well ahead of us....

"I think we should troll here." In short order wired Marauder and Rapala were running short and marlin jigs were popping off the outriggers long. Alex's jig deploying excellence overcoming my inability to work his starboard rigger I was getting pissed.. :1041677399:

Within 20 seconds the Marauder got smoked! As we grabbed a marlin rig to clear while in gear the Rapala rod on Alex's side gets blasted DOUBLE!! Alex is laughing as he winds in the Marlin jig on his side going "holy shit this thing is ripping out line on this one!" About the time we each pull the bent rods out of the holder his comes unbuttoned:(

The bright side was it kept him free to maneuver the boat to help me. I pretty much reeled him straight in to almost color before he started dogging me and trying to jack up my plans for him in the props. Fought a lot like a tuna under and around the boat, not what I expected from a Wahoo. Alex spun the boat and skippered like a boss.....
    The end result is the pic...

Thanks Jon, Gary, Rich and Travis for taking me out in the last week to try and get one.
    Let's go get yours.

This was my 4th try in the last 5 days....Even a blind squirrel.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    This was my 4th try in the last 5 days....Even a blind squirrel.

Love the whole story, but I had to laugh n smile when I just read that last part, as I was thinking to myself last night that if a guy could get out for 5 straight trips and really put the time in for wahoo, he would have a really solid shot at getting one......... and then I read what you just said..... classic! LOL

I actually think anyone going out on even one trip in a good zone and fishing for wahoo has a pretty ok chance, but doing 4 or 5........ just has me thinking it gives a guy a really really good shot! Problem is, trying to string those trips together! :(

Congrats Carl, that's one bad ass fish!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

dshep75

Aug 26, 2005
    Montana
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    none
    Awesome fish! Congrats to the fisherman. Carl has helped me out at the shop a few times and seems like a really good guy

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dana Point
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
    Wow. Just. Wahoowow. Looks at least 80 lbs. what did she weigh?

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Love the whole story, but I had to laugh n smile when I just read that last part, as I was thinking to myself last night that if a guy could get out for 5 straight trips and really put the time in for wahoo, he would have a really solid shot at getting one......... and then I read what you just said..... classic! LOL

I actually think anyone going out on even one trip in a good zone and fishing for wahoo has a pretty ok chance, but doing 4 or 5........ just has me thinking it gives a guy a really really good shot! Problem is, trying to string those trips together! :(

Congrats Carl, that's one bad ass fish!

The unknown fisherman:p:
    I've been very fortunate to get the opportunity/invitations to go. None of these trips were all day affairs. Twice i went before I had to be to work in the afternoon. Once after my buddies dipped out of work early and today we needed to be in.

i was tired as a mofo after fishing and then working a full shift into the night, but I was determined. I doubt I'll ever get this window of opportunity again, much less while I'm still young and healthy enough to do it(very small window there).

I.d like to thank Steven at Dana Landing in advance for giving me paid days off to chase my marlin dreams and providing me the tackle and fuel to do so......:daman:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0