I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    We took Sticky Business 4 out this morning to look for some bass. Picked up a really nice scoop of mixed deans and macks from the bait dock and headed towards Carlsbad out of Oceanside. I was fishing a 1/2 oz lead head with a spinner blade and a MC Swimbait. First cast got a 12" Sand Bass, a few minutes later I hooked into something really big. At first I thought I had hooked into a black seabass after 30 or so minutes we got our fist look at him a 100+ pound Thresher. about an hour and a half later me finally managed to sink a gaff into him. I was using a a 8' Phoenix rod I wrapped, a Shimano Curado 300 with a 100' top shot of 25# test mono. Wow what a battle, my back was killing me, took a couple tylenol and pounded a couple of Gatorade ... Good as new, HA

I posted a photo a few weeks ago of me releasing a baby Thresher on Facebook and I was given a hard time for releasing such a tasty fish. I don't know if it was Karma or what that let me land that giant on such a small outfit. By the way I am 58 and this is the first time I have harvested a Thresher Shark.

After getting the shark gutted and iced down in the kill bag we headed offshore to see if we could get in on some yellowtail paddy fishing. We found several really beautiful HUGE Paddys near the 312 but no one home. We found some birds working hard and fish foaming under them. Got into a wide open frenzy of Bonito from 8 to 12 pounds.
    We did not take any photos of the bonito.

I even got to test drive my Fathers Day gift a really nice deck chair.

Had a fantastic day with my Son Tyler and his good friend Dereck. All I can say after a day like today is "Thank you God" you have truly blessed me .

IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1715.JPG 13445708_1331124226903763_1537309936478082951_n.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    Nice Thresher

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    :appl:

ALWAYS enjoy your reports John. .....I agree......KARMA right there. :D

Reactions: Johnlgarrison
    Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Awesome,thanks for the report..... Howd you cook it?
    I have a couple pieces marinating in a mixture of pad tai, soy, sweet pepper sauce, finely chopped pineapple, and basil. its going on the BBQ tonight.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    garlic and cilantro in olive oil. :)

I think you have enough to try a few recipes. :D

Reactions: Johnlgarrison
    Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
    Jul 12, 2007
    On the deck
    Name
    Tommy
    Boat
    Great job John!!! New boats working for ya.
    Try this out
    Grill T steaks with salt and pepper. When done, put a slab of butter on them more salt to taste.
    While grilling make sauce in a blender
    2 bunches cilantro
    5 cloves garlic
    EVOO
    Juice of 3 lemons
    Blend until creamy
    Pour on the steaks
    Add lemon zest
    Viola

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

monster1

Typical Striper owner
    May 30, 2006
    Long beach
    Name
    Monster
    Boat
    Yep
    Please everyone, do not keep bonito. They don't taste any good. They especially dont taste any good on the bbq, as sashimi or smoked. Absolutely disgusting. LOL

Upvote 0

makohead1

Almost A Member
    Nov 23, 2011
    Vista Ca U.S.
    Name
    Ty
    Boat
    dreamchaser
    Please everyone, do not keep bonito. They don't taste any good. They especially dont taste any good on the bbq, as sashimi or smoked. Absolutely disgusting. LOL
    I used to always , growing up, consider Bonito catfood, chum, trash fish, crab bait,.. yuk... Now my mouth waters just thinking about `em. If properly cared for after catching they are hands down the best eating fish in the planet. Must be properly cared for or will turn to mush.... Now, I rip a gill and bleed immediately, Into the cooler to chill, (no gunny sacks) after chilled (20 minutes) I stop fishing (even if the bite is on) and fillet... then right back to the ice ( I'm drooling as I type ) cook it any way you want... Tastiest most tender melt in your mouth fish there is.

Reactions: Alan and monster1
    Upvote 0

monster1

Typical Striper owner
    May 30, 2006
    Long beach
    Name
    Monster
    Boat
    Yep
    Yep. I have a big 150 igloo on my deck full of salt slush. As soon as it's gaffed, it's bled and thrown in ice immediately. Same with the cudas.

Upvote 0