It was a Sand Dab sort of day. 03.31.18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by the SLIDER, Mar 31, 2018.

1. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Was really looking forward to going out today. Wind was shaping up to be mild, however fog was evident. Waited till 8am to launch. Still foggy.

As I was heading out of DP Harbor, noticed the Sheriffs Harbor Patrol at entrance. As I pass by SHP boat in the SLIDER (16' aluminum skiff ) I heard the PA barely. Once again I heard something. I stop and point at myself and "Ya you, do I need to draw you a picture?". What could it be? GPS says 4.5 mph. So I go over to them. He asks, "Is this your first time out". No, owned the skiff for 33 years and am a regular. "Well you need to watch your wake". Say what? doesn't a yacht or Sporty displace more water than a 16' skiff? ""No, it's about the hull design". Alrighty then, I'll be on my way and watch my wake from now on.

Tell me is this true?

Anyways, It was really foggy, water was 57-58 degrees and the usual spots where barren. Was real hungry for fish so I tied on a couple of dropper hooks and a heavy weight then proceeded to grab a couple of Dabs in the deeper water. My once a year fix on Dabs. Kinda like frying and eating trout.

P1000760.JPG P1000763.JPG P1000766.JPG

Super tasty. Can't wait till next year to have them again.

Obviously I do not know any spots that produce Reds in my area. I know they are within 1.5 Miles of the DP Harbor mouth, I've been told so and have seen proof. This is definitely a weakness in my game. Anyone who would PM me some intel would be appreciated. General area without numbers is good. I fish alone and never take more than a meal. Not into frozen fish either.

Happy Easter fellow BDers

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. John S.

John S. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    That looks really good. Seen more police boats at Mission Bay as well. Seriously set up to contact people who come into the channel hot and don’t slow down at the bouys. Noticed them much more frequently last Summer. Fog down our way as well. Surfed today. Water was cold and still really stained. It needs to clear up more.

John

the SLIDER likes this.
  3. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    You must have caught the sheriff on a tough morning. 4.5 in my boat puts out a bigger wake than the Board Room does and they've never bothered me about it.

the SLIDER likes this.
  4. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Dabs are very good!

Yes, hull design and where your weight is in the boat will make all the difference. Hence, the wake setter boats versus the old Malibu almost zero wake tournament ski boats.

the SLIDER likes this.
  5. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Until I get a new MFD, I use the Vessel Finder app on foggy days as a poor man’s radar to see where commercial vessels (and private boats transmitting AIS out) are, and where they are headed. Not that I do it, but you can locate a party boat and look at its track to see where it has been fishing the last couple days. Here is where the Dana Pride has been. Maybe you can figure out where to begin looking for reds.

008B6D71-65AC-4C4B-BEAF-FBF2655C7FAC.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    The shorter the hull the lower the speed at which it will produce a wake. My big boat makes no wake at its idle speed, which is actually a little over 5 knots, and I pass by the Sheriff's office all the time without a problem. One time I had my two jet skis in tow and they told me to slow down. Sure enough, they were making a big wake.

Happy Easter / Passover.

the SLIDER and Hardcor like this.
  7. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    I lived in Dana Point from 1971 to 1989.
    These are my rockfish numbers from back then. I haven't fished them in 29 years.
    I would make sure they are not in any closed area's
    1. 117:44:20 over 33:27:51
    2. 117:43:11 over 33:26:23
    3. 117:44:56 over 33::26:50
    Good luck LJ

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  8. Eatmorfish

Eatmorfish Livin' on borrowed time

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    2018 234 Mako CC
    Only time I've ever been harassed on the water was by the DP boat sheriff, and it was outside the mouth of the harbor. Must have been a slow day for him.

the SLIDER likes this.
  9. dvt

dvt Newbie

Name:
    Dom
    Boat:
    na,na,na
    Awesome!!! ahahah. Looks tasty and they fight HARD AY!. (when you reeling in from 100ft and it's doing the circle of death). Unfortunately I dont know Dana Point area. Just a tip:. Where's there's white fish, there will be reds around them. Keep moving/drifting out of that spot if it does not produce and you eventually hit that hole. Then drive back and loadem up. ;-) I'll try that shake n bake next time.

the SLIDER likes this.
  10. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    You've had the skiff for 33 years and don't have a rockfish spot? What have you been doing all this time?

11. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    Mmmmm. Tasty dinner!

the SLIDER likes this.
  12. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    1427147_d0309d241da914a84b92c5e6e73b93c9_thumb.jpg
    Cool Ap. Thanks. Dana Pride is a whale watching boat this time of year. Those are the trails of where they search. Come summer they'll be back to fishing with 95 passengers.

Thanks Hardcor. Two of the three look like possibilities. One is in about 800 ft of water. I will definitely let you know what I find.

Rockfish have never been a target for me. Much rather fish bass for sport or try for Biscuits and Butts. When the temps are below 60 degrees, I would like to eat a Red rather than the Dabs though.

13. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    I do not know your electronics? A simple easy place to take all the dabs you want. Get straight out from Clemente pier 3 miles in 280 feet drift the sand ledge only dabs and occasional huge lingcod. Caught one of my biggest 25 years ago when no restriction on hooks I double wt a 20 hookbottom drag. It ate one of the dabs coming up wrapped in line had several hooks in it. Lol hope this helps good luck!!

Foss and the SLIDER like this.