Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
So 60 boats x$450= $27,000 in entry fees

Catering= $20,000
Fish processing= $14,000

So catering and fish processing = $34,000

The math doesnt work if that is the case. Plus the cost of all the shirts and everything else has to put it over 40k

If these numbers that people are saying are even close it's no surprise why winners are not getting paid
There are many sponsors as well, some donate goods, some drop coin.... we on the outside can never fully know the math..... We only see a part of the pie....

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
4 and counting!
I checked the sportsman’s show and boat show exhibitor lists. No Mission Outdoors or WTC listed. Maybe they sharing a booth? Maybe first time the WTC isn’t there?
You won't find the PSA listed in the Boat Show brochure or online, but we are in it. Not all spots are listed.

By the way, we are planning on fishing the WTC 2020!

Ducker!

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Couldn’t agree more about the cost. A lot of the problem is guaranteeing safety of the product I am not sure they can accept “home” canned or sealed foods for the ongoing safety of the food they give out. I know we all can do it, and do it safely, but they have certain regulations.
But at the same time, WDFW will drop off poached and seized fish, deer or elk at a local food bank for donation... it’s likely not the food banks concern, more like the processors.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
But at the same time, WDFW will drop off poached and seized fish, deer or elk at a local food bank for donation... it’s likely not the food banks concern, more like the processors.
Not sure about Washington, but I’m pretty sure in Oregon wild game is processed by a state licensed butcher shop. They will not accept home processed game. We used to do it with freshly hit animals too, but they put a negative spin on it that we were feeding people “road kill”, so that’s not done anymore. We would feed it to the prisons too, but that’s not allowed anymore either.

I’ve heard that it costs the states more than its worth because of the processing. They don’t drop off a whole animal at the local food bank.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
Why Jack this thread into a processor issue?? The buck stops at the event organizer and non profit "NO PAY" organization, They need to be held accountable! And no way in hell they should be able to hold another event until the past events are settled, from reading through this thread it appears the organization is claiming to pay processors, when in case, according to the processor there was no fee. I suspect an audit of the records may find some discrepancies when it comes to taxable funds. As far as prospective sponsors of this event, you may be holding the cards at this point, demand closier to this fraudlant activity before one more dime or service is rendered. As far as our position as fisherman; make clear on their website how you feel, contact local and state agencies to investigate.

Reactions: roadracerrick

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Why Jack this thread into a processor issue?? The buck stops at the event organizer and non profit "NO PAY" organization, They need to be held accountable! And no way in hell they should be able to hold another event until the past events are settled, from reading through this thread it appears the organization is claiming to pay processors, when in case, according to the processor there was no fee. I suspect an audit of the records may find some discrepancies when it comes to taxable funds. As far as prospective sponsors of this event, you may be holding the cards at this point, demand closier to this fraudlant activity before one more dime or service is rendered. As far as our position as fisherman; make clear on their website how you feel, contact local and state agencies to investigate.
The initial issue was beat to death and was basically over..... the other conversation as contributing members was looking at costs and value of what was donated.

it was not “made into a processor issue” but was a relevant conversation about the sustainability of processing sport caught tuna affordable to benefit a charitable organization..... the local food banks....

Maybe you don’t give a shit and only care about the tournament details, but many people like the idea of it actually helping people and we’re simply sounding ideas to process fish faster than 6 months and more affordable.

wether or not the processor was paid is still not an sneered question in this thread. From what I understand at the tournament it was announced that they had donated processing, but when the large amount of fish came in they reverted to doing it for cost...... Tommy actually spoke to the processor and posted numbers above andit was around 10k cans at $1.40 per can for around $14k..... So your information is not correct “according to the processor”.

Reactions: Grady226

BirdDawg!

Jun 21, 2019
Home
Name
Nope
Boat
Yup
Hey guys, I've watched this thread for a couple of days, so sad that a positive event has to suffer because of miscominacation. I feel bad for all parties involved and hope the situation is resolved quickly and to everyone's satisfaction. Thank you to all the WTC volunteers, participants and supporters. Helping people isn't easy and without much gratitude.

I thought I've had a few times is about all the meals the food bank could provide with the the $13K it costs just to process the donated albacore from 2019. This is a great opportunity for a teaching lesson. Rather than spending so much time, effort and resources to process the fish for donation the WTC should consider donating cash rather than canned albacore.

I get the idea thats the WTC is a fishing tournament that wants to benefit our veterans and food banks with fishing and fish. But in feeding the hungry cash is king. The organizations involved in supporting starving Americans can do much more with donations over donated food.

Going forward this is a perfect time for a pivot based on the drama discussed here. I would love to see the WTC to evolve its donation process to serve a greater impact by donating cash over fish. I don't feel they shouldn't donate any fish, just reduce the amount to a low enough number of pounds where it can be quickly and efficiently processes while the bulk of the donation would be in cash.

I did a quick google search on how many meals food banks can buy with $1. The information is impressive, I'll include a few quotes below to support my thoughts. I'm going to start a new thread with this information in the hope we can have a positive discussion and give the WTC suggestions on how to improve their donation process going forward.

Washington's Food bank Website has a calculator that figures the return on donations; "Your gift of $13300 provides 59641 meals."

"Feeding America notes that they can stretch each donated dollar to cover 10 meals. Food banks get donations and discounts from food producers, and they can buy food in bulk from wholesale suppliers. Some organizations can use government subsidies to make their money go even further."

"Because of these successful partnerships, every dollar you donate to Feeding America helps secure and distribute at least 12 pounds of food — the equivalent of 10 meals — through our nationwide network of food banks."

"$1 dollar donated is equal to5 worth of food"

"If you buy a can of tuna fish and donate it to a food bank, it will cost you a dollar and some change." However, a $1 donation to Feeding America provides "about 20 pounds of food and grocery products to someone at risk of hunger."

Other food banks rate their return on your dollar at anywhere from 5 to 15 pounds of food. They do it by buying in bulk, using volunteer labor and working with food brokers who notify them of deep discounts.

"In 2008 the OTC gave a check to the Oregon Food Bank in the amount of $46,000. The OTC’s donation helped the food bank purchase five pounds of food for every dollar donated, equivalent to a contribution weight of over 230,000 pounds of food."

Tuna Dog

Mar 18, 2008
Portland
www.tunadogoffshore.com
Name
Del Stephens
Boat
33' Hydra Sport CC
Someone mentioned earlier that now the WTC would be running the OTC...I have been running the OTC 12 of the last 15 years and yes, it was discussed that they take it over in Ilwaco but after looking at what's been going on it was mutually agreed they would not. As of right now no one is going to operate the Ilwaco event. The OTC in Garibaldi will still happen but by a totally different group. Weddy, Megan and I have stepped away from it, I'm burned out.

Weddy and I were contacted by Ryan about consulting the WTC to tighten up some of the procedures. This is the first I've heard of someone not being paid. I don't want to throw gas on this fire but I don't understand how you can't pay out a winning check. That amount was derived from what went into that pot...

TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
Ya’ll need to start fishing tournaments that have money :urno1:Get’n paid like a pimp. Bitches be all up on your junk. Just ask Pat LOL
Going to give it a try this year.

Reactions: Swede

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
We did donate a little over $9000 Cash to the food bank directly @BirdDawg! Three people won prizes for donating. Grand Prize was a SMAK Cooler that Ryan slid over to help increase donations. Under Mission Outdoors the Food Bank has Benefited Nicely. Last year(2018) was the first year there was more money than food donated. To the tune of Just under $4000.

The Donated Fish in the past went to #NorthwestHarvest. But they said screw the Local Westport Food Bank. Nothing from NWH was ever given to any Grays Harbor County Food Bank. Mission Outdoors Attempted to try and fix this issue in 2019.

Merino's stepped up and offered to can the Tuna. Yes! This is a charity on their part. $1.40 a can or thereabouts. Cost! Plus for every can sold by them of their tuna; they will donate $0.05 per can to Mission Outdoors. This also kept their workers employed till Crab Season starts next week(?). So a win for all. Tommy's numbers are correct. I donated to make this happen as did a few others. Did You? It was a Facebook Go Fund Me Campaign for those that want to know. But we piss on it to get our Holier than Thou point across.

As I stated Earlier The Captain Should be speaking for the crew. The Crew needs to defer to the Capt. Step up please.

Benjamin has stated He will be paid. Yes there were issues and those issues will be addressed and a statement is forthcoming. Our Super Mod and Great Story Teller is working to get the facts out. (not Me).

This thread needs to be locked and or even Deleted!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
This is actively getting resolved and I am now working directly with Mission Outdoors on the process. A lot of the information presented in this thread is false, inflammatory, and speculative. We are lucky to have some major donors involved to provide a world class experience for our veterans and I have no doubt that we will see major improvements in 2020. This tournament is #1 about our veterans, #2 about our coastal communities and helping those in need and then #3 a great competition. I will be at the Seattle Boat Show today, tomorrow, and Sunday as well as Tuesday and the following Friday, Saturday if anyone would like to stop by and discuss. I will be at the Raymarine booth.

On another note, any post attacking other members will be deleted or edited. If I miss one, feel free to let me know.

TIGHT LINES!
~TOMMY

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
As I stated Earlier The Captain Should be speaking for the crew. The Crew needs to defer to the Capt. Step up please.
John, this should have been addressed by the leadership very shortly after this original post went up. The hay forks and torches are out because it wasn't, and still hasn't been.

Fairly recently, I took the Board Governance courses at the UW's Milgard School of Business. The classes focused primarily on "Not for Profit" organizations. Note I didn't say "Non Profit"? There has to be cash (aka, revenue) to keep the lights on just like any other institution. On the Not for Profit side, the revenue typically comes in from donations/grants and fund raising (a business enterprise).

Most Not for Profits begin when someone identifies a societal need that government isn't filling and wants to step in to deliver relief. Often/usually, the host of this idea begins by volunteering their time and resources in an attempt to fill this gap.

Eventually, they realize they need more resources and/or they begin to struggle to manage their charity mission and their day job. They begin taking donations in the form of cash or goods. Often, this is informal and not documented in the initial stages. If successful in gaining support from donors, they soon realize they might be able to quit their day job and focus their efforts full time towards their chosen charity. They officially register as 501(c)(3) organization and they are in business.

Likely, they need some form of income to replace that of their former occupation. They need a place to operate from, utilities have to be paid, they hire an assistant... They provide some form of benefits. The list goes on and soon, a dollar donated doesn't buy a dollar's worth of charity anymore.

IRS form 990 discloses to the public where the money from donations/grants/fundraising is spent. Smart Not For Profit Organizations put them on their websites for everyone to see. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has theirs all the way back to year 2000 if anyone wants to take a look.

It's not a crime to spend some of the money on overhead, but it is a crime not to disclose it.

I love that people want to help veterans. Open doors to find them meaningful careers after service. Be patient with them. That man or woman might not be the person they were before they went down range. Honestly don't judge them. If you get to meet one on your boat, stay in touch with them. Be a mentor. For many, their journey home will never end. Although taking one fishing for a day makes for some nice pictures to show people, you have to ask who that moment is doing more for in the long run, you or them?

For the guys giving explanation in bits and pieces who are angry that the audience won't just sit down and shut up, I suggest you encourage the organization to issue full disclosure of the money trail. I hope all the dollars went where they should have and that there is enough to pay all the bills. I sincerely do.

Moving forward, I strongly suggest Mission Outdoors add all their IRS 990's to their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.