CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
I heard with my own ears Marino’s was doing the processing for charity and no cost. Where did the 14k come from. Even if they did the labor, the cans/everything couldn’t have been more than 1k. Did they change their mind due to the mass quantity they got or what? Seems to me if the WTC paid 14k for processing, that’s where the money is sitting.
Merinos is doing the processing at their cost, not donating it as the cost is not menial. Here is the most recent summary (yesterday) that I have been provided:

**This is an estimate and by no means final.

8799 lbs donated
9620 cans
Cost per can $1.36
Estimated Processing Cost $13083

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
There needs to be an official transparent response. This is what happened, this is how we are dealing with this issue and this is how we are going to fix it moving forward.
Damn it ...I've never poked a Swede, but it is on my bucket list. But not today.....I agree on your assessment and am disappointed there's nothing as of yet, my friend.

Reactions: Swede

WSU

Jun 19, 2012
unknown
Name
unknown
Boat
none
The official response appears to be that the guys that caught the winning bluefin can't have their money because the hundreds of albacore that were donated haven't all been canned yet? But don't worry, we're not going to stiff you and are holding your money?

What am I missing?

christensenreid

user and abuser
Sep 10, 2009
Olympia, Wa
www.christensenincgc.com
Name
Reid
Boat
Triton 2690 "Out of the Blue"
that sure seems to be it. Ive personally put hundreds into that pot, as have a lot of members here. Im guessing when the "ownership" changed the pot money didn't go with it. thus leaving a 10k problem. Its sad to see a once great time turn to such a mess. I haven't fished the event the last two years after fishing all before. Doesn't seem like I have been missing much

The official response appears to be that the guys that caught the winning bluefin can't have their money because the hundreds of albacore that were donated haven't all been canned yet? But don't worry, we're not going to stiff you and are holding your money?

What am I missing?

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Was there fine print on the derby release form you had to sign? No one reads that shit...

Have any of you EVER heard of "we have to raise the prize money after the tournament"? Sounds "fishy" to me...get it "fishy" HAHA, damn I'm clever...

Seriously though, I sure hope it works out and you get paid....I'm sure you already had that money spent....... in your mind at least...GL

Reactions: Wild Bill

Emzbuddy

Is a Yacht in my future? Why Knot!
Mar 13, 2008
Bothell, WA
Name
Doug
Boat
Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out, Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
Notable quotes from this thread - for your reading pleasure.

better off taking the entrance fees and party at the Knotty Pine.

Looks like you have a big check in your hands! Have you tried cashing it

The bank teller … made it clear she didn’t appreciate the team name.

Actually that isn't true......might happen but not true.. God I hope not.

You have to call tournament control via SAT phone during the tournament to be totally certain.

The fish are just now … getting checked for legitimacy?

Check for legitimacy? come on. No one is gonna feed those fish buckshot

Cohoho has all the luck we need!

.... And you mister intelligence...

I'll mail you your social justice warrior badge.
I’ll be waiting for my badge!
Keep your ... badge, you’ll need it

it’s been a patient dog, a quiet dog, a friendly dog, and now it’s an awake dog...

I have a great idea. Next year everyone takes their “entry fees” and give it to Goat

We all know she doesn't take checks

You pricks have good intentions…

It’s better to be owed than told you get nothing

sorry I love ya ...I love me some wounded warriors and love …fishing,

.. I have never seen such a series of coherent thoughts come out of that human. Love ya Goat!

I was the one who gaffed it, on the second try.. thank god he caught it...

Whitehouse was by far and away the stud captain of the weekend

It ain't all fun although it can be rewarding.

In Vance's sage wisdom...

I'd put money on her any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd like to put the screws to that prize!!!

Not trying to be a cheerleader here But this is important

Damn it ...I've never poked a Swede, but it is on my bucket list. But not today.....

I’ve personally put hundreds into that pot, as have a lot of members here.

Is actually an awesome tournament and getting out with Wounded Warriors, fishing with your buddies, and the fun spirited competition is a blast!

Sounds "fishy" to me...get it "fishy" HAHA, damn I'm clever...

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
Merinos is doing the processing at their cost, not donating it as the cost is not menial. Here is the most recent summary (yesterday) that I have been provided:

**This is an estimate and by no means final.

8799 lbs donated
9620 cans
Cost per can $1.36
Estimated Processing Cost $13083
I wonder if they are gonna get paid? Or is it another bridge burned..

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
no one is upset, or was upset. Its just time to get paid. And I have been told up until now that WTC has no money, by RYAN. So why does Scott say different, that’s what the question is.

We were all happy to think they had no money.

Of course we will get paid, NOT a single person on WTC staff is a crook, not one. This is the dumbes statement made right after Chris’s awesome post, Sheesh
Why would you say my statement is dumb?

According to you, You were told they have no money, yet you think you'll get paid? And now on top of prize money they'll owe Merlinos $13k more of money that you said you were told they don't have.... how exactly does that pencil out?

If you or your team thought they would get paid why did Travis start this thread?? Im thinking because HE didn't think you were going to get paid and wanted to air his frustrations.

I havnt accused anyone of being a crook and hope it all works out for everyone involved. The good news is we should see where the cards fall here in the next week or so, now that the fish have been processed.

This entire matter could have been squashed on day one if whoever is in charge of the Purse for MO/WTC would have chimed in to clear the air... but i digress.

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I propose a side bet......uh-hmmm

Everyone who PayPal’s me at [email protected] right now will receive the entire payoff kitty if your post is directly above the post we expect to receive from MO explaining the whole situation

Now, how much is a TM275lhw?

it’s still winter Garrett, and yes I should be working on the boat right now

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
I propose a side bet......uh-hmmm

Everyone who PayPal’s me at [email protected] right now will receive the entire payoff kitty if your post is directly above the post we expect to receive from MO explaining the whole situation

Now, how much is a TM275lhw?

it’s still winter Garrett, and yes I should be working on the boat right now
My odds increase the more I post, right?

Reactions: Nineball

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Of course we will get paid, NOT a single person on WTC staff is a crook, not one. This is the dumbes statement made right after Chris’s awesome post, Sheesh
then don’t worry about it. Consider it money in the bank.

meanwhile in a sign of solidarity to you brothers nobody better be signing up for 2020 until all you boys get paid. I know some signed up already not knowing the situation.

lack of a public explanation is the problem here. 90% of the participants are on BD. They owe everyone, not just winners, an explanation. I’ve been doing this a long time and have taken great pride in being associated with this charity in the small way that I am. I really want to give the benefit of the doubt. I assume they are aware of the discontent so why not say something.

Reactions: South Sounder

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
.... And you mister intelligence.... knowing that G-spot’s haters might help you derail the thread rather than focus on the complete incompetence.

What's a G-Spot.
Is it like a Jinka? Bakudan?
I do not own a Go pro.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
$14k to can tuna? Sounds like we’d have been better off steaking and vacuum sealing them, then getting those fresh steaks to the food bank ASAP. Spending $14k to donate fish seems like a poor use of funds. My assumption, from sitting at the tournament, was Merinos was donating it all. Clearly, I’m not the only one who thought that. If that wasn’t the agreement, Merinos should get paid and bad on the WTC for making such an agreement. Or, maybe there’s always been an expensive cost for the fish we’ve donated, but us participants never heard about it, because everyone got paid in a timely manner.

I checked the sportsman’s show and boat show exhibitor lists. No Mission Outdoors or WTC listed. Maybe they sharing a booth? Maybe first time the WTC isn’t there?

• Sad
Reactions: goatram and Odin7

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
Why would you say my statement is dumb?

According to you, You were told they have no money, yet you think you'll get paid? And now on top of prize money they'll owe Merlinos $13k more of money that you said you were told they don't have.... how exactly does that pencil out?

If you or your team thought they would get paid why did Travis start this thread?? Im thinking because HE didn't think you were going to get paid and wanted to air his frustrations.

I havnt accused anyone of being a crook and hope it all works out for everyone involved. The good news is we should see where the cards fall here in the next week or so, now that the fish have been processed.

This entire matter could have been squashed on day one if whoever is in charge of the Purse for MO/WTC would have chimed in to clear the air... but i digress.
dumb, may have been a poor angle to approach it, just not needed to imply we aren’t going to get paid...trying to stay positive here dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: goatram

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
$14k to can tuna? Sounds like we’d have been better off steaking and vacuum sealing them, then getting those fresh steaks to the food bank ASAP. Spending $14k to donate fish seems like a poor use of funds. My assumption, from sitting at the tournament, was Merinos was donating it all. Clearly, I’m not the only one who thought that. If that wasn’t the agreement, Merinos should get paid and bad on the WTC for making such an agreement. Or, maybe there’s always been an expensive cost for the fish we’ve donated, but us participants never heard about it, because everyone got paid in a timely manner.

I checked the sportsman’s show and boat show exhibitor lists. No Mission Outdoors or WTC listed. Maybe they sharing a booth? Maybe first time the WTC isn’t there?
You don’t get as much applause when you say “we’re volunteering to process the donated fish for our cost which is $14000”

the service was, without a doubt, presented as pro bono. I was not even drinking when I heard that.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME

Couldn’t agree more about the cost. A lot of the problem is guaranteeing safety of the product I am not sure they can accept “home” canned or sealed foods for the ongoing safety of the food they give out. I know we all can do it, and do it safely, but they have certain regulations.

From a pure economic gain they would have been better off giving the food bank $14k to spend on various canned foods. The money would have gone a lot farther. $1.20 per can is not a bargain from the pure dollars to feed people perspective.

Some of the fish processors in Southern Ca will allow you to trade Fresh fish for canned. I’ve done it and it’s not a bad gig when you have piles of tuna. The exchange rate is obscene, but it costs no money at all.... even if you yielded 1/10 or less of the amount that they got and save $14k to donate to the food bank you’d be miles ahead and instantly done with the process.

Reactions: Odin7 and RazorJack

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
You don’t get as much applause when you say “we’re volunteering to process the donated fish for our cost which is $14000”

the service was, without a doubt, presented as pro bono. I was not even drinking when I heard that.
from “Feeding America”

“Because of these successful partnerships, every dollar you donate to Feeding America helps secure and distribute at least 12 pounds of food — the equivalent of 10 meals — through our nationwide network of food banks.”

$14000 dollars may not sound great, but how about 150,000lbs?

They get great wholesale opportunities to feed people.

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Boys you gotta keep up with the thread, I admit this is a tough one to stay on top of.

To recap:
Team Icemelter won the pelagic pot
Merino's stepped up and volunteered to process donated fish
6 months later.....
Team Icemelter is growing impatient on payout
payout is clarified, no one gets paid till fish are processed
fish are sitting in a freezer somewhere waiting to be processed
Its gonna cost $14K to process the frozen fish
now the fish are processed
processing was done for free
Benjamin is now confident team Icemelter will get paid

If the Seahawks were still in the playoffs or A10 had a few fish I might not have been able to keep up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grady226

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
I heard the catering was over 20k. I also heard Marino’s was covering the processing fees and giving everyone discounts that weekend with their own fish if they mentioned they were apart of WTC. But I’ve been corrected and told I was wrong. Still eating my popcorn. I like captain descents responses this page .

On the other hand. I know the dudes behind WTC and none of them are crooks and please don’t assume that. They are all really awesome people, I feel red tape and maby a too big of bite of a shit pie is slowing them down. The guys will get paid and it’ll be awesome for them right before hali season starts and the next summers costs will be covered with a lump sum.

winters almost over.......

christensenreid

user and abuser
Sep 10, 2009
Olympia, Wa
www.christensenincgc.com
Name
Reid
Boat
Triton 2690 "Out of the Blue"
So 60 boats x$450= $27,000 in entry fees

Catering= $20,000
Fish processing= $14,000

So catering and fish processing = $34,000

The math doesnt work if that is the case. Plus the cost of all the shirts and everything else has to put it over 40k

If these numbers that people are saying are even close it's no surprise why winners are not getting paid

oldschool 1

Night Watchman .
Jun 13, 2011
Aberdeen wa
Name
Andy
Boat
Oldschool 2
So 60 boats x$450= $27,000 in entry fees

Catering= $20,000
Fish processing= $14,000

So catering and fish processing = $34,000

The math doesnt work if that is the case. Plus the cost of all the shirts and everything else has to put it over 40k

If these numbers that people are saying are even close it's no surprise why winners are not getting paid
Hey, no math, this is fishing. You cant just start adding up expenses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.