TonyG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
So I suppose I can wrap my head around holding funds for the payouts for the albacore until they are "inspected by our processor". But, there is no way in hell Merlino's is so backed up, they havnt been able to process the PRIZE MONEY fish for 6 months.. What is that 18 or so Albacore that make up all the payout fish?? That's a cop out IMO. Smells Fishy as [email protected],

But that same lame excuse is even more BS for the Pelagic Pot! That fish isnt in possession of the processor and was verified to be a BF on derby day. So those funds have no reason to be not released to the winning person/team.

I think the Tourney officials would be better served to fess up to the truth about things or shit will spiral further into the shithole. Integrity is everything boys.

PS, I think we all have a dog in this fight. I don't think very many of us are going to be excited to put $450 into supporting a tournament and not have confidence in its integrity; and neither are sponsors or the OWC.
Nailed it!

Reactions: DEEP MAGIK

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
I clearly hit a nerve with Goat by saying the exact same thing that 90% of people on this thread have been saying over and over. Wish when he talks shit about me there was at least a little bit of truth to it. Last time I checked, we all get to have an opinion.
About facts, nobody gets an opinion. Something sadly lost nowadays. These dudes won. Should be paid.

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
I grabbed that off the Mission outdoors page.. But that number is for "total fish weighed" so Im not sure if that was ALL the fish donated or the weight of all the fish turned in for the teams "biggest 5" … Its more than the sum of the 30 teams that are listed, but who knows for sure I guess.

Still seems steep @ $14K.. I thought I had heard that Merlinos was going to do the processing for free?
Looking at the site, it looks like that's the turn in for the top 5 fish for the boats, not all donated. Per the video on Mission Outdoors they say "almost 10,000 lbs of tuna donated" which at a 20# average would be 500 fish donated. Now let's do some elementary math.

500 fish turned in from 50 boats, would be a 10 fish average which is very low for this year of catching. Let's even say only 30 boats donated fish, that's still 16 average and we know that Tommy turned in 90 for the "most donated" so again that brings the overall average down. I know that we as a boat donated around 40. So this still seems low at under 10k. But I digress....

Where my biggest problem lies is that I have a really hard time believing that Merlinos is going to sit on 500+ uncut tuna for 6 months. Think about that from a business perspective, Merlinos housing and keeping frozen 500+ whole tuna at below zero for 6 months in their own freezer taking up valuable space and paying for the electricity to keep them rock solid until processing six months down the road because "they are busy".

I'm sorry but that doesn't make logical nor business sense. Yet this is the explanation at the moment of why NO ONE has been paid. In Vance's sage wisdom...if it looks like a duck.

Reactions: I hate seals

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Looking at the site, it looks like that's the turn in for the top 5 fish for the boats, not all donated. Per the video on Mission Outdoors they say "almost 10,000 lbs of tuna donated" which at a 20# average would be 500 fish donated. Now let's do some elementary math.

500 fish turned in from 50 boats, would be a 10 fish average which is very low for this year of catching. Let's even say only 30 boats donated fish, that's still 16 average and we know that Tommy turned in 90 for the "most donated" so again that brings the overall average down. I know that we as a boat donated around 40. So this still seems low at under 10k. But I digress....

Where my biggest problem lies is that I have a really hard time believing that Merlinos is going to sit on 500+ uncut tuna for 6 months. Think about that from a business perspective, Merlinos housing and keeping frozen 500+ whole tuna at below zero for 6 months in their own freezer taking up valuable space and paying for the electricity to keep them rock solid until processing six months down the road because "they are busy".

I'm sorry but that doesn't make logical nor business sense. Yet this is the explanation at the moment of why NO ONE has been paid. In Vance's sage wisdom...if it looks like a duck.
well they are making up for it by charging $30/fish to process so...

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I don't know anything but seems the most likely reason they have not been paid is the money is not there or they can't get access to it. Sad situation for sure, hope this has a happy ending!

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME

All of the math and numbers seem off.... the top 5 boats donated over 1/3 of the fish? Which changes your numbers even more.... then add to that...... Last year the fishing was pretty good at times, but the fish as a whole were smaller than most years that I have fished.... I would doubt the average fish size was 20lbs, so that will help drive your numbers back up......

I’m still doubtful that 5 boats produced over 1/3 of the entire catch..... but then again... maybe they found the schools...

RUNNOFT

May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
All of the math and numbers seem off.... the top 5 boats donated over 1/3 of the fish? Which changes your numbers even more.... then add to that...... Last year the fishing was pretty good at times, but the fish as a whole were smaller than most years that I have fished.... I would doubt the average fish size was 20lbs, so that will help drive your numbers back up......

I’m still doubtful that 5 boats produced over 1/3 of the entire catch..... but then again... maybe they found the schools...
Exactly my point ... numbers seem low, but more importantly do we think that Marino’s is going to store even 500 fish in their freezers for 6 months, let alone more which is probably more accurate on what was turned in. Quack quack

Reactions: G-Spot

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Almost six months ago This happened...too bad we haven’t seen a dime. Time to sign up for 2020 but why bother. Sucks, better off taking the entrance fees and party at the Knotty Pine. View attachment 1106591
On a side question- how do the taxes part of it work then? If you didn’t get paid in 2019, and had to fill out a form saying you did, do you claim you won “x” amount of dollars or wonder how that works. First not getting paid in a timely fashion would piss me off, but to potentially delay or trigger some kinda IRS audit fiasco would be a concern.

Reactions: One_Leg and Odin7

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
As I read through all the comments, I'm having a real hard time trying to believe there can be a legitimate reason why people haven't been paid.

@slab tech 1, good point. Maybe they'll get their money before April 15?

JohnnieB

SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
COMING SOON TO A NONPROFIT NEAR YOU

A former Carolina Panthers fullback and the sports marketing group that helped him promote a charity fishing tournament are accused of failing to pay thousands of dollars in prize money to the tournament’s winners, according to a lawsuit filed in Charleston County.

The lawsuit accuses Tolbert, his nonprofit agency, Walsh and Cornerstone of breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and unfair trade practices. Whittington is seeking triple damages and attorney’s fees.

Reactions: G-Spot

RUNNOFT

May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
All I can say is wow? I'll bet if I turn my wife loose on em you will get a check the next day. Those of you who know her would put money on it!!!!
I hate to say it but of course I will anyway, this is why my crew and I have sat the last couple of them out. The jury will stay out one more year, by then it might be too late for all of these tournaments. I heard OTC is going the way of the Dodo also.
@Roll the Bones Hey Charley - what's Elain's hourly charge and retainer? We may need her expertise in getting shit done. I' d put money on her any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
On a side question- how do the taxes part of it work then? If you didn’t get paid in 2019, and had to fill out a form saying you did, do you claim you won “x” amount of dollars or wonder how that works. First not getting paid in a timely fashion would piss me off, but to potentially delay or trigger some kinda IRS audit fiasco would be a concern.
IF it is done 100% legally the 1099-MISC should be issued for the year the funds are paid out, not the year the paperwork was filled out.

WD

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
As of this last Saturday, they were shooting to have all processing done by end of this week, per the owner.

And they are awaiting labels, and once labeled, can be delivered to the coastal food banks. Great news!

Reactions: goatram and wdlfbio
Status
Not open for further replies.