SelFishAddiction
May 16, 2016
HereandThere
Name
JB
Boat
Unknown limits
COMING SOON TO A NONPROFIT NEAR YOU

A former Carolina Panthers fullback and the sports marketing group that helped him promote a charity fishing tournament are accused of failing to pay thousands of dollars in prize money to the tournament’s winners, according to a lawsuit filed in Charleston County.

The lawsuit accuses Tolbert, his nonprofit agency, Walsh and Cornerstone of breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and unfair trade practices. Whittington is seeking triple damages and attorney’s fees.

Reactions: G-Spot

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
All I can say is wow? I'll bet if I turn my wife loose on em you will get a check the next day. Those of you who know her would put money on it!!!!
I hate to say it but of course I will anyway, this is why my crew and I have sat the last couple of them out. The jury will stay out one more year, by then it might be too late for all of these tournaments. I heard OTC is going the way of the Dodo also.
@Roll the Bones Hey Charley - what's Elain's hourly charge and retainer? We may need her expertise in getting shit done. I' d put money on her any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
On a side question- how do the taxes part of it work then? If you didn’t get paid in 2019, and had to fill out a form saying you did, do you claim you won “x” amount of dollars or wonder how that works. First not getting paid in a timely fashion would piss me off, but to potentially delay or trigger some kinda IRS audit fiasco would be a concern.
IF it is done 100% legally the 1099-MISC should be issued for the year the funds are paid out, not the year the paperwork was filled out.

WD

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
As of this last Saturday, they were shooting to have all processing done by end of this week, per the owner.

And they are awaiting labels, and once labeled, can be delivered to the coastal food banks. Great news!

Reactions: goatram and wdlfbio

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
"You want answers...I want the truth...you can't handle the truth"....

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
I wonder what the normal wait time is between caught to canned for most albacore. If Merinos’ product is usually 5-6 months but the boys at the Ilwaco Tuna Club are weeks, I know where I’ll be sending folks for canned tuna.

I remember the applause Merinos got when they stood on stage and announced they were donating the processing of the fish. I sent customers their way because of that. Apparently, that wasn’t quite true if the WTC claims they paid $14k for processing????

1 and 1 isn’t coming out to 2 in this whole deal.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Is there any form of insurance an angler could obtain to prevent something like this from happening?

Pau Hana

Fish murderer
Mar 31, 2003
In the beautiful Pacific NW- Seattle, WA
Name
Pete
Boat
Pau Hana
Is there any form of insurance an angler could obtain to prevent something like this from happening?
The organization putting on an event would obtain the insurance coverage for their event- there is no policy that I can think of that would insure a participant of a contest for any prize.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Not enter in the first place and just fish for fun...
Write a check directly to your charity of choice.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
I don’t get the big deal with the merinos thing. I STILL HAVE TUNA TO CAN.
I don't think guys would donate if they knew it was going to sit for 6 months. Or do they pick through the donated fish and put some out to market. Also brings into question their trade program. 1lb of fresh tuna gets you a discount on canned fish...so is that fresh canned or last year's...

Lastly the price to process...if it was 14k i would of done it for half...

Reactions: wdlfbio

RUNNOFT

May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
I remember the applause Merinos got when they stood on stage and announced they were donating the processing of the fish. I sent customers their way because of that. Apparently, that wasn’t quite true if the WTC claims they paid $14k for processing????
They must be donating the processing, but charging $14k to put on the labels.

Reactions: Team Tom

Gooch Larue

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 22, 2014
Name
Chris Holmes
Boat
29' North River "Thunder Road"
The organization putting on an event would obtain the insurance coverage for their event- there is no policy that I can think of that would insure a participant of a contest for any prize.
A few years ago my company sponsored a "hole in one challenge " at a charity golf tournament. The sponsors offered us insurance for 10% of the prize money. it would have been very bad if we told CBRE sorry we are waiting on the PGA to confirm if it was a real hole in one. We paid the insurance....

Not sure if this has ever been offered in fishing? But with a rolling pot for over 10 years the money should be there.

Reactions: goatram

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
A few years ago my company sponsored a "hole in one challenge " at a charity golf tournament. The sponsors offered us insurance for 10% of the prize money. it would have been very bad if we told CBRE sorry we are waiting on the PGA to confirm if it was a real hole in one. We paid the insurance....

Not sure if this has ever been offered in fishing? But with a rolling pot for over 10 years the money should be there.
[/QUOTE

I guess I am missing something. What’s the side pot have to do with the fish getting processed weighed or even counted.

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
I heard with my own ears Marino’s was doing the processing for charity and no cost. Where did the 14k come from. Even if they did the labor, the cans/everything couldn’t have been more than 1k. Did they change their mind due to the mass quantity they got or what? Seems to me if the WTC paid 14k for processing, that’s where the money is sitting.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
If you really want to know the finance side of it they are required to disclose those records if they are a non profit....

But Scott was pretty convincing that is not finances that are the issue..... Doesn’t really seem like verification of the fish is either based on the info that the fish is already processed...

🤔

Walker Inc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround

I think the Roche Harbor has a “hole in one” policy. If the winning fish is over 30lbs it’s worth an additional 30k in prize money.

RUNNOFT

May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
This is fucked...wish someone “in management” from WO/WTC would address

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Not having a dog in this fight other than knowing some of the parties involved, I have one comment. Transparency rules and talk is cheap.

Last edited:

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
Jul 23, 2014
Renton WA
Name
Jason Champion
Boat
GW 272 sailfish
I'm really surprised WTC doesn't have an official response to this thread, good bad or indifferent, participants and sponsors kind of deserve to know what's up. A lot of questions being asked with no official response does not look good. I have supported WTC and look forward to it every year and now I'm left wondering what to expect moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.