salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Really?! ...what are the requirements to sell fish caught with a sport license??

Did you read what I quoted? Just because a boat has "commercial tags" and the deckhands have "commercial lic" doesn't mean they can free-ball it and sell fish to the public. I was saying it takes more than that to sell straight to the public.

You cant sell fish with a sport lic period.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Dont give up, bait selection is so damn important, wait and look for the right one

Exactly, and if you can't find the right bait grab the FN bait net and find one!

Upvote 0

greenscales

Mar 24, 2007
Monrovia
Name
Richard
Boat
Pro Angler 14
Too bad CalTip sucks - but you had the right idea to go the DFW route. The wardens have been too busy providing shade for the rest of law enforcement in cleaning up used needles, etc from the homeless camps in the rivers (no joke). Next time don’t even post the issue, see
If the boat belongs to SAC and reach out to them - they police their own, and will know how to deal w/those who give others a bad name. If not w/SAC - contact CCA and ask for their assistance/advice (and anyone griping here who is not a CCA member - deaf ears). The wardens that care are plugged in with them and they could connect you to the right one. Reminds me I have to go see if a local seafood store still has the sign up for BSB - caught in CA and take another pic if so - triple whammy -illegal to import, sell, and catch in CA. But likely just mid-identified - probably filets from a catfish on steroids.

Keep it quiet and let the very slow legal process take place, Skippers and landings who get caught in a sting w/repeat violations loose licenses, etc. The irony is that these boats justify by saying business is tough and just providing the clients an option to save face at home by bringing home “a catch.” When their business would be so much better if they would educate those willing in how to catch their own. And try to reduce those who don’t care from tangling up with the ones who are trying to fish. 3 crew members catching 5 fish each or 3 helping out 15 catch 2 a piece, do the math. Which is more satisfying to the customer and thus a bigger tip/payout?

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Commercial is allowed 1 BSB as incidental catch so they can sell it legally at a fish market.
Not enough wardens to go around at least when you want them around. They come out of the wood work at the opening of lobster season though

Upvote 0

greenscales

Mar 24, 2007
Monrovia
Name
Richard
Boat
Pro Angler 14
Commercial is allowed 1 BSB as incidental catch so they can sell it legally at a fish market.
Not enough wardens to go around at least when you want them around. They come out of the wood work at the opening of lobster season though
Thanks - Did not know that about the BSB. I know I’ve been told it’s not legal to bring any across the border. I do have a little concern about a few of the stores in my area though. This one is owned and caters primarily to a certain community and has both retail and wholesale grocery and seafood. Large enough volume where I always presumed they were doing it right. The smaller ones - different issue - I’ve been offered money for the WSB I catch on the Yak numerous times when I am picking up extra ice as I head home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ja73

Almost A Member
Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16

Yep those wardens pop out of the bushes and drop from Palm trees during lobster season, but go in hibernation in the summer.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Yep those wardens pop out of the bushes and drop from Palm trees during lobster season, but go in hibernation in the summer.
They just go back to looking for deer poachers. Land animals seem to be a higher priority other than amatuer weekend lobstering.

Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
Jul 5, 2008
Hootervillle
Name
JD
Boat
Obliviousone
Almost two weeks later I finally spoke with a warden named Joe, don't think anything will happen as a result but it has been reported for whatever that's worth.

Upvote 0