Killerskiff

The end is near
Jul 5, 2008
Hootervillle
Name
JD
Boat
Obliviousone
Went out on the 3/4 day moo moo yesterday to Cat. The entire crew was fishing there asses off most the day to land 4 or 5 YT's, a few goats and a some bass. At the end of the day cleaning what few fish there were I observed and clearly heard the deckhand openly soliciting and taking cash by selling the fish to four different passengers. Twenty five per YT, twenty for the goat but can't say how much for the bass.

In addition what few calico bass there was I saw several shorts (not even close) go into the sacks by the crew members, never measured. It's obvious how the crew catches fish and keeps them in the front bait tank and then sells them at the end of the day to passengers, WTF. I'd never fish this boat again but what would you do?

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Doesn't surprise me but never personally seen it and no, not legal. If the deckhand isn't hooking and handing off to a paying customer he shouldn't be fishing. Safe to say that was a shitty boat anyways if it was ran that way.

Last edited:
    Reactions: guss
    Upvote 0

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
    Nov 18, 2008
    Placerville, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    19' Harbercraft
    This is the type of stuff that ruins a true sportsman image, special interest groups opposing hunting and fishing love this type of thing to happen. The charter boat system is more like any sports team.......several players caught cheating using drugs or whatever ruins the image of the teams.

That said I would go the call the owner of the boat route and let him know he is risking his license.......if it persists well then you have no choice.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Not legal. And the next fucking deckhand, cook or captain I see fishing on a boat I paid to be on is swimming home. So sick of that crap. I was on a wide open YFT - skippy bite last year out of SD, and the employees were too busy casting jigs instead of attending to tangles and bagging fish. It was pathetic, so I called them out in front of everyone and they claimed they were trying to help people get hooked up. Right. Should we invite the waiter to join us at the dinner table for free gourmet meal before we tip them? Maybe help them clear the table? Or bust their chops for inquiring?

And then that inevitable 5 gallon tip jar in my face....:shithappens:

Sorry - seen shit like this too many times and strikes a bad nerve.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
    Sep 12, 2010
    garden grove, ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Maria
    Was on the patriot out of newport yesterday and friends of the crew caught 2 or 3 nice yellowtails. Mike filleted them at the end and made sure anyone who didnt catch yellowtail got a free slab of it. Pretty impressed with the boat. We had tons of tangles due to slack and fast changing swells Mat and Mike handled all of them in quick orderly fashion. Super impressed with Captain Dan and crew. He fished hard.

Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    And that my friend is one of the reasons why fishing on SD sportboats is a much more pleasurable experience. It's like fucking night and day! Those crews out in SD take it to another level. I remember the first time I fished in SD on the San Diego. No stupid ass numbers on the rail, no deckhands fishing, and your fish wasn't mush by the end of the day.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Not legal. And the next fucking deckhand, cook or captain I see fishing on a boat I paid to be on is swimming home. So sick of that crap. I was on a wide open YT - skippy bite last year out of SD, and the employees were too busy casting jigs instead of attending to tangles and bagging fish. It was pathetic, so I called them out in front of everyone and they claimed they were trying to help people get hooked up. Right. Should we invite the waiter to join us at the dinner table for free meal before we tip them? Or bust their chops for inquiring?

Let me add, there are several great sport boats I continue to fish because they do it the right way. But man how those unfortunate trips make you think twice.

Have a superfantastic day!

Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 23, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    Fishead
    Boat
    cash carrying ho
    Went out on the 3/4 day moo moo yesterday to Cat. The entire crew was fishing there asses off most the day to land 4 or 5 YT's, a few goats and a some bass. At the end of the day cleaning what few fish there were I observed and clearly heard the deckhand openly soliciting and taking cash by selling the fish to four different passengers. Twenty five per YT, twenty for the goat but can't say how much for the bass.

In addition what few calico bass there was I saw several shorts (not even close) go into the sacks by the crew members, never measured. It's obvious how the crew catches fish and keeps them in the front bait tank and then sells them at the end of the day to passengers, WTF. I'd never fish this boat again but what would you do?

name them or nothing will happen

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    Isn't the # 1800 cal we tip

Upvote 0

Txfisher96

Aug 1, 2016
    Escondido
    Name
    Ashton
    Boat
    14' Heritage Angler
    Not legal. And the next fucking deckhand, cook or captain I see fishing on a boat I paid to be on is swimming home. So sick of that crap. I was on a wide open YT - skippy bite last year out of SD, and the employees were too busy casting jigs instead of attending to tangles and bagging fish. It was pathetic, so I called them out in front of everyone and they claimed they were trying to help people get hooked up. Right. Should we invite the waiter to join us at the dinner table for free meal before we tip them? Or bust their chops for inquiring?

I personally have liked when the crew fishes alongside. Generally they're hooking and handing, or if they do land it the meat goes to customers who otherwise would've gone home empty handed. Plus deckhands gotta eat too. It's all about balance. Should they be fishing non stop on a fully loaded trip? Well it's really up to the captain and if that crew member likes keeping his job. Is it OK for them to fish a light load? At the discretion of the skipper. The only say you and I have is where that money in our wallet goes on the next trip.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Maybe he was having a stroke or had lied about his experience level when being hired and had never even read the regulations?

I would have asked him right then and there.....for the fish........for free!

Deck hands can bring an entire school to the boat in short order if allowed to do so.

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)

I don't know what is worse, them doing that or you reporting it and not telling us who/what boat it was. Just cause you were too chicken shit to do something about it, doesn't mean you should NOT tell the ones who will.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    He said he went yesterday, that it was a full day trip to Catalina, and that the boat caught yellows, bass, and sheep head. There's only a few options for that:

Patriot 16 Calico Bass, 14 Yellowtail, 2 Sheephead
    Victory 68 Rockfish, 18 Whitefish, 10 Red Snapper, 5 Bocaccio, 5 Calico Bass, 3 Sheephead, 2 Sculpin, 2 Yellowtail
    Pursuit 20 Whitefish, 4 Calico Bass, 2 Sheephead, 2 Yellowtail, 1 Sand Dab, 1 Halibut, 1 Perch, 1 White Seabass

Best match with the story is the first, but another guy posted above about the boat saying it was a solid run operation, so what to believe? Could've been the Victory or Pursuit as well, obviously, but the story matches less well.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    You know how that goes... and I don't think we have to worry about the boat not reporting for this trip, since several yellow were caught.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

alex morataya

Aug 14, 2007
    Burbank
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    none
    Hey Killerskiff,

Sorry you had a sucky trip. I'm sure lots of us have had 1 or 2 shitty trips in our lives but for the most part its been okay with no problems or issues.

If you really want this to stop, then please name the boat you were on. doing this will help the next guy make a better decision which boat to jump on especially if they're new at this...

The only way "they'll" understand and hopefully change is by spending our hard earn money on another boat that truly cares about their customers....hitting them financially is where we'll make a great impact.....

Other than that, you're concern, although valid, is just white noise or a rant...helping others avoid the same mistake is the first step to changing this.....

thank you.
    Alex.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    I don't know what is worse, them doing that or you reporting it and not telling us who/what boat it was. Just cause you were too chicken shit to do something about it, doesn't mean you should NOT tell the ones who will.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! YEP, that an FN bullseye!

Reactions: ColdEye
    Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

I personally have liked when the crew fishes alongside. Generally they're hooking and handing, or if they do land it the meat goes to customers who otherwise would've gone home empty handed. Plus deckhands gotta eat too. It's all about balance. Should they be fishing non stop on a fully loaded trip? Well it's really up to the captain and if that crew member likes keeping his job. Is it OK for them to fish a light load? At the discretion of the skipper. The only say you and I have is where that money in our wallet goes on the next trip.

Good points, Ashton. The negative experience I had last year was a 1.5 day on the ........, with a full load of 30+, wide open skipjack and yft were biting empty hooks about 8 miles from Point Loma - WFO to put it simple. Instead of containing their froth, they wanted to play. You have to pay to play, and they shouldn't be playing when their patrons are screaming for the gaff, in tangled lines, or needing any kind of help while they're flying jigs off the bow.

Yes - and they need to eat, too. :picknose:

Upvote 0