Issue with Fathom 25nld2 drag adjustment

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by Calvin Deshler, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Calvin Deshler

Calvin Deshler I like to touch Fish

Name:
    Calvin
    Boat:
    One penny at a time
    Started to notice the last few trips that after fishing my 25nld2 for awhile the drag would be much looser than
    I set it. Causing me to have to reset it several times while fishing.
    I thought that my palm or thumb was catching the adjustment knob when putting it in free, causing the decrease in drag over time. Though after putting it in and out of gear about 25 times (making sure I was only touching the lever) I could see the Penn logo on the knob start to rotate back slightly. In and out of gear another 25 times resulted in more rotation.

Any ideas for a fix? Seems like I need more friction between the knob and threads and less between the knob and lever.

2. Bite1

Bite1 Member

Name:
    Mo Bunz
    Boat:
    Wednesday Cabrillo Beach
    Send it in. Something isn't right here. Probably something loose inside or a threading stripped somewhere.

3. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    The preset knob is supposed to have detents and click as you turn it. The knob on my 40nld2 clicks about 30 times per 360° rotation. Does yours do that? If not, something definitely wrong.

4. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Eric is correct. Either the detent clip is missing or it also could be a over-abundance of grease under the knob (I had one with this minor issue).

Here is Alan Tani’s first look and service tutorial if you need it

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11570.0

The detent clip we are both talking about is 141b in this schematic part number 1265089

BB68D208-CF18-4E9F-BD3E-7B0D88690305.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. Calvin Deshler

Calvin Deshler I like to touch Fish

Name:
    Calvin
    Boat:
    One penny at a time
    Mine definitely clicks correctly. I guess the lever must really be catching to turn the knob multiple clicks.
    After messing with it a bit more, I've found it isn't at all consistent. Sometimes it will back itself of fairly quickly, other times it wont at all.
    It is getting time to send in all my reels, I guess this one will just have to make the trip sooner. Thanks for the help. -Calvin

6. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Have you taken the drag adjustment cap all the way off Calvin? I had one of my fathoms that had so much grease in there it just wanted to stick all the time. Very simple to deal with.