Issue with Daiwa Lexa and United Composite Swimbait Finatic

May 27, 2021
San Diego, CA
Name
Gern Blanston
Boat Name
None
I just put together a set of 4 inshore rigs made up of Daiwa Lexa(s) 300 and 400 series paired with United Composites Swimbait Finatic rods.
We appear to be have an issue whereby the Lexa(s) don't sit properly in the reel seat. On a recent trip, the reel actually popped out while fighting a fish.

I'm trying to come up with options as to how to mitigate the problems. (as you can imagine, the set of 4 represents a significant $$$ investment)
My first thought was to add a reel clamp, but the reel seat is a "trigger style" which limits that as an option.

Aside from cutting the reel seat off and replacing with another (and/or converting the rod to a deckhand style with cork tape), I'm out of ideas.

I'd appreciate advice.

Thanks,

-Dan-

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Call UC? Maybe they have a replacement seat foot that works. Otherwise...

... Dremel! (Ouch)
    Pics would help.

Upvote 0

anemic

circling the drain
    Mar 6, 2004
    Long Beach
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat Name
    nope
    I'd appreciate advice.

Thanks,

-Dan-
    When using the smallest baitcasting reel on a rod with an AFTCO aluminum reel seat, I’ve bent the reel foot with channel locks just enough to take the wiggle out. I don’t think I would bend a Lexa . . . YMMV

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat Name
    None
    I just put together a set of 4 inshore rigs made up of Daiwa Lexa(s) 300 and 400 series paired with United Composites Swimbait Finatic rods.
    We appear to be have an issue whereby the Lexa(s) don't sit properly in the reel seat. On a recent trip, the reel actually popped out while fighting a fish.

I'm trying to come up with options as to how to mitigate the problems. (as you can imagine, the set of 4 represents a significant $$$ investment)
    My first thought was to add a reel clamp, but the reel seat is a "trigger style" which limits that as an option.

Aside from cutting the reel seat off and replacing with another (and/or converting the rod to a deckhand style with cork tape), I'm out of ideas.

I'd appreciate advice.

Thanks,

-Dan-
    Really weird, use the same reels on the Swimbait fanatic's. Never had a problem, they sit fine. Could you post some pictures of the reel seat and of the reel on the reel seat?

Upvote 0

scott v

• Sep 3, 2011
    Rancho Santa Margarita
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Keep wishing
    I’m assuming you are talking about the Lexa TW. I pulled out the reel and put in on the 711L swimbait finatic. I tightened it to what I thought was tight and the reel had a lot of play moving forward and backward. Handed the rod to someone else and they tightened it down hard which completely locked down the reel. I was able to get it to lockdown by tightening the clamp more than I thought was necessary.

The problem appears to be with the front foot of the Lexa Tw. It is definitely shorter in length than the old model and much shorter than the Fathom and Komodo. The shorter foot seems like it is causing the reel to move around unless you really tighten it down.

Put the reel on the Seeker inshore and did not have to tighten the reel seat as hard. So it seems like it could be a combination of the reel seat on the UC and the smaller foot of the TW.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat Name
    None
    I’m assuming you are talking about the Lexa TW. I pulled out the reel and put in on the 711L swimbait finatic. I tightened it to what I thought was tight and the reel had a lot of play moving forward and backward. Handed the rod to someone else and they tightened it down hard which completely locked down the reel. I was able to get it to lockdown by tightening the clamp more than I thought was necessary.

The problem appears to be with the front foot of the Lexa Tw. It is definitely shorter in length than the old model and much shorter than the Fathom and Komodo. The shorter foot seems like it is causing the reel to move around unless you really tighten it down.

Put the reel on the Seeker inshore and did not have to tighten the reel seat as hard. So it seems like it could be a combination of the reel seat on the UC and the smaller foot of the TW.
    dude, i use my lexa 400tw on my 711L when i fish light jigs, there is 0 play in it. My tranx 200, 300, komodo 450's, and older lexas all fit on it fine...

Upvote 0

pete j

Mar 17, 2012
    lompoc ca usa
    Name
    pete
    Boat Name
    Slayliner
    I have used the metal duct tape on the seat before. Its like aluminum tape and looks like chrome
    Probably not the best choice but its worked great and its been on the reel for a very long time fished a lot still holding strong

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

• Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I had the same problem with my Finatic. The plan was to pair it with a Lexa 300 but it wouldn't fit cuz the Lexa reelfoot is too thick. The Tranx 400 fits perfectly.

Upvote 0

scott v

• Sep 3, 2011
    Rancho Santa Margarita
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Keep wishing
    I guess I have girl hands and don’t crank down my reel seats as hard as some people. What I found with this rod/reel was what I thought was tight wasn’t tight enough. The front foot is quite a bit shorter than all the reels you mentioned including the older Lexa. Take a look. I have a feeling the op isn’t cranking down hard enough on the reel seat. I had someone else tighten the reel seat and no issues with it being loose. I had a hard time loosing the reel seat after he tightened it so again it’s on me.

Upvote 0

backfisher

Jun 9, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Richard
    Boat Name
    If I only...
    I had the same problem with my 711MH and my Lexa 400HD last month (but never any previous trips). Like scott v I thought that i had screwed it down tight enough, but after having the reel pop off while fighting a fish I found that i need to tighten it down then give it another half turn or more to get it to seat properly

Upvote 0
    May 27, 2021
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Gern Blanston
    Boat Name
    None
    The issue is the width of the Lexa reel foot vs. the width on the Fuji reel seat.
    The reel seat “socket” closest to the rod butt narrows sharply and only allows a small area of the reel foot to seat. Under load, the reel foot can pop out.

The newer Lexa reels have a smaller reel foot which is why (I suspect) not everyone has the same issue.

After looking at all the options to fix it, I went with the reel seat replacement. It’s a bit of work (I have 4 of them to do) but the result will be worth it.

Upvote 0