hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
I have the 5 and really like it. Sonar and DownVision are very clear and easy to interpret. Buy from GPSstore.com and you get Navionics included.

If you get the transom mount transducer, put a bit of gorilla glue around the nut that pins the transducer to the mount. It's pretty shitty plastic and will start to break in any sort of rough water. I wondered why I was losing the bottom at 12 kts and found out the transducer was bouncing up and down because the mount had partially broken.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
I have the 5 and really like it. Sonar and DownVision are very clear and easy to interpret. Buy from GPSstore.com and you get Navionics included.

If you get the transom mount transducer, put a bit of gorilla glue around the nut that pins the transducer to the mount. It's pretty shitty plastic and will start to break in any sort of rough water. I wondered why I was losing the bottom at 12 kts and found out the transducer was bouncing up and down because the mount had partially broken.

yeah looks like dragonfly is the way to go. I was trying to figure the difference between 5 and 7. Its just the screen size right?

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
yeah looks like dragonfly is the way to go. I was trying to figure the difference between 5 and 7. Its just the screen size right?

Yep, and it's a sizable difference. Nice for when you want to go split screen with the chart and sonar. I initially bought the 7 and returned it for the 5 as it was too big for my application.

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
Yep, and it's a sizable difference. Nice for when you want to go split screen with the chart and sonar. I initially bought the 7 and returned it for the 5 as it was too big for my application.

I was looking at it, and looks like they have wifi. If the price difference is only based on screen size almost seems better to get smallest one and mount an ipad or some large tablet for the screen?

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
I was looking at it, and looks like they have wifi. If the price difference is only based on screen size almost seems better to get smallest one and mount an ipad or some large tablet for the screen?
I've never used the wifi function so I can't speak to it. A tablet is just one more thing I have to remember to charge and bring. Not necessary (for me anyway).

I have a Lowrance Elite 5x in the bow and I can easily read it from the rear seat. Most of the time I'll run the sonar off of that unit and use the Navionics chart on the Dragonfly that's next to me.

captfields_sc

Aug 20, 2017
Charleston, SC
Name
Stephen Fields
Boat
2017 Blue Wave Boats 2400 Pure Bay / 300 Suzuki
I have run the 5 and 7. The 7 is definitely a big difference and great for running charts. Easier to see and navigate. Having the wifi enabled version was not a big deal to me at first, then I got into connecting my boating app on my iPad to the unit and it kind of just took off from there. Plotter sync is awesome as you can transfer waypoints from the unit to the app and vice versa as well as updating your charts and sonar chart live. When you are collecting sonar logs (1ft contours), you can see the changes and the new information live on the boating app. Pretty good stuff!
File_Aug_03_12_50_40_PM.png