Brqndqn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
ISO A center console boat to primarily fish solo. I’m 16 so looking for something that is fuel efficient. Looking for opinions and advice on what kind of boat I should look for. Motor. Horsepower. Hull size. Something around the 18’ or 19’. My price range is 10k and below. I don’t want anyone telling me I’m too young to own a boat or it’s too dangerous. I’m here looking for professional advice please. Thank you

HighRootz

Sep 23, 2018
San Diego
Name
Al Nelson
Boat
Skipjack 20
Following. I'm looking for some similar advice. I plan on hitting the kelp beds as well as the 9 and a few spots north. I hope you find the information and/or boat you're looking for

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Based on your specifics, I would focus on a Boston Whaler 17 Montauk or Dauntless 16. Third choice and a bit cheaper would be a Wahoo 16 or 18. You can find any of these with 4 stroke power. The construction of these boats make them safe and if you perform your due diligence, you can get a reliable package. Be patient, it’s the end of season and boats will start popping up. If you buy wise you can use this boat for years and get 100% of your money back if you maintain everything in Bristol condition. Good luck.

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
You might want to consider something a little bigger so that the person that tows you down to the ramp can go. Good luck!

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Good luck man
That’s pretty cool to be that young and getting your own boat.
Just keep an open mind when people try to school you because of your age. There is always something to learn from someone.
Also, make sure you post pics of your new sled on here when you get it so we can see it!

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
You might want to consider something a little bigger so that the person that tows you down to the ramp can go. Good luck!
I tow myself I’ve been grinding on small aluminum skiff at the breakwall and I don’t like how I have to watch the weather. With a bigger boat I can go in more choppy water and go after bigger fish with less worry on my mind

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
Good luck man
That’s pretty cool to be that young and getting your own boat.
Just keep an open mind when people try to school you because of your age. There is always something to learn from someone.
Also, make sure you post pics of your new sled on here when you get it so we can see it!
Thank you and I’ll post pics Fosure. I love to learn new things but some people don’t like to live their lives and bud into minesaying I’m a spoiled kid that mooches off people. I work hard for what I get and I don’t ask my parents to help fund my hobbies. Raising me is already difficult. It’s ridiculous to have them finance my fishing when it’s expensive. I appreciate them for raising me. They’re my parents not the bank. I welcome knowledge with open arms

LarsTheViking

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 21, 2013
Dana Point/CA/U.S.A.
Name
Lars T.
Boat
1990 Team Scarab 31 by Larry Smith. Twin Yamaha 250 OX66 EFI.
I got to keep pitching the 1973 SeaCraft 20 that's for sale here on the forum Brandon. Tend to never buy a classic boat myself without having one of my fiberglass pro buddies along to check for any structural issues. This seems to have gotten a new fuel tank and electrical wiring. With the previous owner also vouching for the boat on the thread I believe is a good sign. Don't know the boat or its ownership, but I know that a well kept Potter built SeaCraft 20 does things better in the ocean than most boats 5'-10' longer and will continue to appreciate in value. Best of luck.
P.S. She'll need trim tabs for the open sea. :) D.S.
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/20-seacraft.686942/
1438300_58bba3eb4b85aa2e48a27edb57241e74 1973 SeaCraft 20 CC.jpg

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
I got to keep pitching the 1973 SeaCraft 20 that's for sale here on the forum Brandon. Tend to never buy a classic boat myself without having one of my fiberglass pro buddies along to check for any structural issues. This seems to have gotten a new fuel tank and electrical wiring. With the previous owner also vouching for the boat on the thread I believe is a good sign. Don't know the boat or its ownership, but I know that a well kept Potter built SeaCraft 20 does things better in the ocean than most boats 5'-10' longer and will continue to appreciate in value. Best of luck.
P.S. She'll need trim tabs for the open sea. :) D.S.
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/20-seacraft.686942/
View attachment 973485
Appreciate it

Reactions: LarsTheViking

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
A buddy and I fished a 17 Montauk together for years and we are not exactly small guys. We fished all the local banks as we as the 43, 277, 181, 182 etc... Yes you need to pay attention to the forecast, but when do you not need to do this in your “Larger Boat” you are suggesting for $10k? The young man is asking for boat suggestions not if I were you suggestions.

Reactions: One_Leg

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
A buddy and I fished a 17 Montauk together for years and we are not exactly small guys. We fished all the local banks as we as the 43, 277, 181, 182 etc... Yes you need to pay attention to the forecast, but when do you not need to do this in your “Larger Boat” you are suggesting for $10k? The young man is asking for boat suggestions not if I were you suggestions.
I was looking at a Montauk for the longest time and at one point it was my goal to buy one but the lack of storage and the fact that everything is placed on the deck bothers me. Montauks with a nice 4 stroke 90hp is hard to come by for less than 15k. Been looking for months now.

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
I was looking at a Montauk for the longest time and at one point it was my goal to buy one but the lack of storage and the fact that everything is placed on the deck bothers me. Montauks with a nice 4 stroke 90hp is hard to come by for less than 15k. Been looking for months now.
Maybe you can list the boats you have already determined will not work for your purposes. Bayliner’s have great storage, but the downside is they have poor quality craftsmanship, materials and very low resale value. Good luck with your search.

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Montauks with a nice 4 stroke 90hp is hard to come by for less than 15k. Been looking for months now.
Exactly what I have.

East coast is alot cheaper, but of course one needs to bring it back.

Reactions: Brqndqn

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
10k is quite a budget for a 16 year old. You can get a lot of boat for that price. Boston whalers are overpriced. You can get better bang for your buck. I had a great boat when I was your age, a 16' Valco aluminum, had a pretty deep V, a Suzuki 25hp 2 stroke. Many memories in SD bay, kelp beds and 9 mi. bank a few times. You can get away with with alot more if something goes wrong fishing inshore. When the lower end blew, we ended up paddling back with oars. Please take caution going offshore. Even if you get a 10k turnkey boat you still got to deal with all the things to constantly break- so keep it simple. That's my .2 cents. These days a 4 stroke or Etec motor is a must. Any foam filled fiberglass hull will be "unsinkable" like the whaler. Some say you buy the motor and the boat is free- except the whaler. Good luck!

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
10k is quite a budget for a 16 year old. You can get a lot of boat for that price. Boston whalers are overpriced. You can get better bang for your buck. I had a great boat when I was your age, a 16' Valco aluminum, had a pretty deep V, a Suzuki 25hp 2 stroke. Many memories in SD bay, kelp beds and 9 mi. bank a few times. You can get away with with alot more if something goes wrong fishing inshore. When the lower end blew, we ended up paddling back with oars. Please take caution going offshore. Even if you get a 10k turnkey boat you still got to deal with all the things to constantly break- so keep it simple. That's my .2 cents. These days a 4 stroke or Etec motor is a must. Any foam filled fiberglass hull will be "unsinkable" like the whaler. Some say you buy the motor and the boat is free- except the whaler. Good luck!
Thank you. I’ve been grinding on a small 13 aluminum Gregor with a 20hp Honda. I don’t like the limitations I’m kept at so it’s time for a little upgrade. Never underestimate the ocean. That’s why I strive for the best of my capabilities. Thank you for the advice. Hopefully I’ll find a boat soon

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
Id be looking for an aluminum 19'. The gas savings will be worth it when fishing alone. If you are not too worried about MPG than a Parker 18' would be the best boat money can buy if you can find one for 10K. I had one a few years ago and it was AWESOME for fishing solo. Easy to launch and clean up but big enough to go offshore with buddies if needed.

Battle Skiff

Sep 2, 2017
Riverside
Name
Brandon
Boat
21 gregor & shamrock 200
Id be looking for an aluminum 19'. The gas savings will be worth it when fishing alone. If you are not too worried about MPG than a Parker 18' would be the best boat money can buy if you can find one for 10K. I had one a few years ago and it was AWESOME for fishing solo. Easy to launch and clean up but big enough to go offshore with buddies if needed.
I have a 20’6 that I go to Catalina in, it would be a great upgrade from a 13 that’s for sure but he said he doesn’t want an aluminum anymore

Attachments

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
The reason for I don’t want another aluminum I because
-lack of flor storage
- easier to rust
- echos when something drops
- a lot of bow rise since it’s so light(varies with each design obviously)
- easy to ding
- not as stable since it’s lighter unless a catamaran style
- not that it’s a big factor but it’s not as good looking in my opinion

Battle Skiff

Sep 2, 2017
Riverside
Name
Brandon
Boat
21 gregor & shamrock 200
The reason for I don’t want another aluminum I because
-lack of flor storage
- easier to rust
- echos when something drops
- a lot of bow rise since it’s so light(varies with each design obviously)
- easy to ding
- not as stable since it’s lighter unless a catamaran style
- not that it’s a big factor but it’s not as good looking in my opinion
Hey you got to go with what you want, my whole deck is new filled with closed cell high density foam and marine epoxy treated 3/4 exterior ply with a sheet of glass cloth so not much noise, as far as bow rise any boat under 18’ you will probably experience some, my aluminum doesn’t rust I’m not quite sure why aluminum would, and I do get the side to side rock but with a 7’ beam there’s not much you can do about that. If you are ever curious on how it rides come take it for a spin. But like I said if you are want/ looking for something specific then you just got to stick it out an maybe build the funds a bit.

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
One good reason for aluminum- they do ding a bit easier maybe, but better than a hole!
There was a nice Arima on here awhile back somewhere in norcal. Great boats, real beamy- feel alot bigger than they are. Still fairly light and easy to tow but are solid in snotty stuff.
Good luck