longboard85

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
Left shelter at 6 yesterday with my buddy Michael(@mkfriedrich) to go catch some tacos at the islands and possibly find a yellow. It took a little while for the fish to get with it but we ended putting a nice day together on the reds and chucks.

We fished multiple spots from 165ft to 250ft and got some nice reds at all depths. The bigger fish deff wanted the sardines vs squid. I lost a big fish on a dean in the 250ft zone that felt like a solid yellow but rocked me pretty quickly.

Water around the island ranged from 60.5 to 62 and was pretty clean , with weather side of north island the best looking. I did meter a small spot of yellows between north island and middle grounds.

Good luck and remember to fill out your declaration before returning, DFG stopped us at the dock and that was the first thing they asked for.
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG951221.jpg
20200103_173015.jpg
FullSizeR.jpg

Last edited:

Geo-Fish

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
Thanks for the heads up on the declaration form. I think DFG is zeroing in on that form because we can still get rockfish in Mexico......

Did they check your NFMM/Biosphere to verify you indeed had an intended Mexican Adventure at the islands?

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
Thanks for the heads up on the declaration form. I think DFG is zeroing in on that form because we can still get rockfish in Mexico......

Did they check your NFMM/Biosphere to verify you indeed had an intended Mexican Adventure at the islands?
All they asked for was our mexican fishing license and to see our filled out deceleration form which I had fully filled out. In the past I've had them check my chartplotter trails to see where I had been.

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
Congratulations! I hope to get out there soon! Any Bonita? Did you troll at all? Check the rock pile? South Island? Thanks for the report!
We got one Bonito on the bottom in 200 plus ft of water and saw some around north island point. I didn't do any trolling or go around south island the water started getting colder towards that direction.

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
Great times yesterday my dude. I’m certain that that was a big yellow you hooked. But we will never know lol
Yea fun times for sure bud!
Nice way to start the new year Cody, you haven't missed a beat.
That was a lot of talent on you had on your boat with mkfriedrich and yourself.
Yea Michael is a heck of a fisherman! Hopefully the 3 of us can get on some fish together this year!

Last edited: