Islander or Legend 2 Day trip cant decide

Oct 23, 2007
Torrance
Name
Jimmy
Boat
None
Going on a 2 day with some friends curious about any past experiences recommendations.

Legend $450 Load of 30 (10 sold already) 75x25

Islander $585 "limited" load of 28 (0 sold) 88x24

Both include all meals

Neither include mex permits if req

Just curious about how the crew was (disfunctional or did they get along)

Who has the better breakfast burrito all those little things that make the difference

How was the sleeping situation do the bunk rooms get hot etc

What their bait situation is like good strong cured or do they sometimes run low

Any and all help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
I have fished both boats, but it was many years ago. The Islander has 3-man staterooms and the Legend had a open bunk room. I think the Islander's heads were inside and the Legend's heads were up in the bow. The Islander had rubber mats on the deck and huge bait wells. I have no idea about crew or food as I bet most if not all have changed over the years.

The Islander does a lot of other trips like shark cage and kayak trips over the year. The Legend fish 100% of the time.

Good luck.

Reactions: bleachedhawaiin
Oct 23, 2007
Torrance
Name
Jimmy
Boat
None
I have fished both boats, but it was many years ago. The Islander has 3-man staterooms and the Legend had a open bunk room. I think the Islander's heads were inside and the Legend's heads were up in the bow. The Islander had rubber mats on the deck and huge bait wells. I have no idea about crew or food as I bet most if not all have changed over the years.

The Islander does a lot of other trips like shark cage and kayak trips over the year. The Legend fish 100% of the time.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response the 3-man staterooms are a big plus and indoor bathrooms are also nice late at night

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
Jul 30, 2008
San Diego
cox.net
Name
Rob
Boat
Sea swirl Striper
Well,

I was on the Legend last week with some buddies. The boat is wide, very roomy and spotless. Very dysfunctional crew thow, not very attentive to the newbies.

Newbies made up about 80% of the anglers. We never found the fish and that may have been a good thing cause there were tangles all day just putting the bait in the water and the crew did nothing to help. Rotation for trolling was also a cluster! crew never paid attention to rotation numbers, anglers just standing around not knowing what to do.

If we would have gotten into the fish God knows what would have happened, it would have been a complete nightmare. Last trip for us on the legend! Very unfortunate because the boat is very nice and the crew seemed very cool just not very attentive therefore, making our experience very frustrating.

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
Thanks for the response the 3-man staterooms are a big plus and indoor bathrooms are also nice late at night
Amen to that!

For years I only fished overnight and 1.5 day trips. The "walk" up to the head on the way out sucked. I been drinking beer, it's wet, dark and the boats rocking and rolling. What could go wrong? :rolleyes: Then I fished on a boat with an indoor head. I think it was the Pacific Star and now a indoor head is a must for me on any trip traveling at night.

Also a stateroom gives you better security for your stuff.

Now when I fished on the Legend is worked out of Seaforth landing and I know the Islander is at the big 3 landing. The parking at Seaforth is 100 times better than at the big 3. If your fishing on a weekend or holiday think about that.

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Islander! No comparison.....

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Ditto on the islander worth the extra $ Imo.....I've never been disappointed on that boat.
I talked to Chucks Son at FHS and told them about the heads suck being up front , and he said they put two new one in the back ,and we had the same problem with the trollers last year on a 2 Day, and the crew sounds like they haven't changed ,our cook was great and the 2nd Capitan was super cool,

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
Jul 15, 2012
sd ca
Name
lj
Boat
nomo boat
NEW heads on the back...Legend no matter who owns it will ALWAYS be a winning boat..crew can be dealt with..man up CHUMPS..dont whine and cry on here tell them lil pinhead mofo's to get it fucking RIGHT or they may become splashes while the boat is under way...wtf RIGHT??????geez take a moment and tell Chuck what your thoughts are on his crew bitches (if in fact they are bitches)

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
Jul 30, 2008
San Diego
cox.net
Name
Rob
Boat
Sea swirl Striper
NEW heads on the back...Legend no matter who owns it will ALWAYS be a winning boat..crew can be dealt with..man up CHUMPS..dont whine and cry on here tell them lil pinhead mofo's to get it fucking RIGHT or they may become splashes while the boat is under way...wtf RIGHT??????geez take a moment and tell Chuck what your thoughts are on his crew bitches (if in fact they are bitches)

I agree on the boat! It's a kick ass boat....but the crew needs big improvement.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I've never fished the Legend. I've been on the Islander a number of times, and have already booked another trip for the first several days in September. Nothing but good things to say about the entire operation. On my last 2.5-day trip in late September last year we ended up with a great catch of tuna even though they were pretty skittish by the simple tactic of running up on breaking fish and as they sank out the captain would circle the boat and throw massive amounts of bait to bring them back up. We went through our entire multi-day trip load of bait on the first day, and then he drove the boat all the way back to San Diego that night and we completely re-baited, and headed back out again to the schools well outside San Clemente Island. Threw massive chum at them again the second day, and again got limits for everyone.

In fifty years of riding offshore boats, that was the first time I ever saw a captain spend that many thousands of dollars in fuel and bait just to try to give an open-party group of fishermen a good second day of fishing.

negitoro

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 19, 2012
villa park, ca
Name
bruce
Boat
ISLANDER, NEW LO-AN
Islander with out a doubt. First time I rode the boat, there were NO breakfast burritos. They served up portuguese sausage, eggs and rice. If you're from Hawaii, you will know what that meant. I was HOME!! If food is a factor, they are constantly feeding you. Mid morning and afternoon snacks are routine. Meals are served not ordered. Don't expect a greasy burger for dinner. Fresh bread and salad with an entree and dessert.

John is a great captain and will put you on the fish. They take great care of the bait. They often save bait and cure them on the boat in the slammer. I have seen them feed the bait on many trips. They claim it makes it more active. With all the limits I have had on this boat I am a believer. The Crew is top notch. They will address you by your first name. John demands this. This is very classy. They usually have 4 hands and the captain on the deck when its busy. They are a blast to be around. At the end of the day, watch Jason fillet fish. That is worth the price of admission.

The state rooms are great. A place to store your gear. You can actually rest.

Leave banannas at home...Bring TI leaves(Hawaiian good luck for fishing). I always do and we have slayed fish. Hope to see you out there. Like the other poster said, you will thank us!

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
You should fish the Legend first to really appreciate the Islander.

Reactions: bleachedhawaiin

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Been one the Legend a dozen times and the Islander only once.

ISLANDER hands down.