Offshore Islander Oct 20th -23 Wide Open BFT

Jgannoe

May 14, 2021
Orange County CA
Name
Jamy Gannoe
Boat Name
Striper220
We were on that trip! "Yes!" to all that's been said. So much fun. Crew was absolutely world class! Capt. Pete found the fish over and over and over and over....

tuna.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: darrenforeal
Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
murrieta ca usa
Name
mark
Boat Name
18 aquasport breakingwind
I am very happy to write this review of the Islander. The last review I wrote was less than stellar for another boat. The Islander is not just a good operation but a great operation. From the second I got on the boat till the end they set a standard that only the top Long Range boats have.
First off for some reason I was off and only caught a couple fish, just not my day. So I am not saying this boat was great because the fishing was great (it was)
We started the trip with skipper doing the usual galley talk about what we would be fishing for. He (sorry I am bad with names) told us we would be running for 10 hours right off the bat and not fishing dorado or the kelps, unless we saw something outstanding. We left at 11 pm and ran all day. If I remember correct this boat use to be the Red Rooster ll. The staterooms and galley area reflected what you expect a long range boat should be. The boat was spotless. The food was amazing. All of this on a boat that only does 3 day and 1.5 day trips. We were lucky to get right on the fish with a couple 200 pound fish caught at night on the knife jigs. About 2pm the first night it got pretty good with most people getting at least 1 fish over 100 pounds. The crew laughed, gaffed fish and helped everyone.....the whole trip with very little sleep. We had several fish that needed 3 or gaffs and the captain was always down helping and high 5ing the lucky angler. I was lucky and hooked one of the very large models on 100 pound test and after 2 1/2 hours lost the fish due to spectra splice coming undone. The fishing on the first day got pretty good all day long on sinker rigs. The good fishing continued the whole trip. The captain told us during the night we would try Cortez for some large yellowtail in the morning. We ran out to Cortez and put 35 of the larger model yellowtail on the boat. When you thought the trip could not get any better we headed back to Tanner for a 3 hour wide open surface bite on 50-80 pound bluefin. After being on many long range trips and spending my life on the water working as a commercial fisherman this was an amazing trip on an amazing boat.
I look at over 100 boats a year now being a Marine Surveyor and this boat has yacht quality standards "spotless". If you get a chance book this boat I was told they are having problems filling trips because they usually do shark dive charters at Guadalupe Island. The mexican government did not renew permits this year so this boat is fishing 3 day trips now. Final count if I remember was around 100 bluefin and 35 yellowtail for 25 anglers. If any of the crew on the Islander reads this thank you again for a wonderful adventure and seeing how things should be done.View attachment 1436243

View attachment 1436244

View attachment 1436245
Appreciate the info! just booked for this friday 2 day, havent been on this boat for a long time, caught my last albacore on that boat!
pretty sure we will be doing something similiar, as in bluefin fishing! not sure if they will chase the yellowfin and dorado? im pretty much
bringing it all tackle wise, 20 to 100lb set ups. cool thing is they allow you to reserve a bunk! told them any bunk, except for a top bunk! got h2 middle bunk

Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
murrieta ca usa
Name
mark
Boat Name
Appreciate the info! just booked for this friday 2 day, havent been on this boat for a long time, caught my last albacore on that boat!
pretty sure we will be doing something similiar, as in bluefin fishing! not sure if they will chase the yellowfin and dorado? im pretty much
bringing it all tackle wise, 20 to 100lb set ups. cool thing is they allow you to reserve a bunk! told them any bunk, except for a top bunk! got h2 middle bunk
guess we wont be sleeping to much. not my first rodeo. hopefuly a day time bite in some respect! my last 4 trips have all been
nighttime bites! is what it is! dont want to be complacent! guess just be thankful for these amazing big fish!

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat Name
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Great report.

I find it amazing that after a trip like that the Islander had to cancel their 3 day trip this week due to lack of interest....
Talked to the crew about this. They said they were cancelling the 2x 1.5 day trips. I suggested 1x3 day. The economy is the major factor IMO. I was able to get the 2nd to last spot a few days before the trip left. I was watching the counts and location because I didn;t want to fish dorado/yft.

Look at the current schedule. The 11/3 2.75 trip could be off the charts.

Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
murrieta ca usa
Name
mark
Boat Name
Talked to the crew about this. They said they were cancelling the 2x 1.5 day trips. I suggested 1x3 day. The economy is the major factor IMO. I was able to get the 2nd to last spot a few days before the trip left. I was watching the counts and location because I didn;t want to fish dorado/yft.

sometthing tells me , the bluefin, big and small arent leaving anytime shortly ! lots of L.A reports make
it really interesting! unless we have the big blow!! will happen eventualy, question is when?

Reactions: aguachico
Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat Name
None

I noticed that they are doing a 2 day leaving Friday at 11 am as opposed to the 3 day that was supposed to leave Thursday at 11 am. The 3 day was $1,200 and the 2 day is $675 I believe. Could not fill the $1,200 trip but 2 day is a definite go at $675 so yeah, the economy may be playing a roll...

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Wow, good read! Had other boats in mind for future trips, but will strongly consider them! What were the weights of your fish? Gotta love trips like these, regardless of fish volume, it's the flavor of the trip! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    2 1/2 hour fight on 100lb, ya I would say you hooked a very large model. Sounds like an epic trip. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

terryc.

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 12, 2006
    Chatsworth
    Name
    Terry Corenman
    Boat Name
    20 ft. Marlin cc

I have my eye on that trip it's listed as a 3 day so far not one on board.

Upvote 0

Humble Pig

• Jun 12, 2020
    Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    None right now.
    Was along on this trip as well…

Food was genuinely top notch.

Every decision that the captain made… was correct. Guy like to fish hard and that is appreciated.

Bait was hands down the best I have seen in a long time (and helped with the flyline bite).

Crews attitude / effort was noticeably different.

Probably my last trip of the season and it certainly scratched the itch.

220# on 400g rip roller (pissed off squid)

If I were going, I would bring 500g jigs that get down quick (not rip rollers).

Fun trip boys.

Mike

0B2684FA-A9BC-4CD1-9880-490B6F2EBA0F.jpeg

36803739-DDB4-4888-8780-95322F3F6781.jpeg

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat Name
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I sure learned a lot watching you guys catch fish. I took a lot of notes. Can't stress the importance of marked line. Also expect for your gear to be cut off and have a backup and or repair plan. Can't see the need for any other jig but 500g. The other thing I learned is that you have to go to sleep to be ready for the next bite.
    saludos

Reactions: darrenforeal
    Upvote 0