GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat Name
None
06.26 thru 06.28.2022 Islander 1.75

Captain: Pete. Deckhands: David, Matt, Brody and new kid Aaron. Chefs: Mike and Rick.

I’ve been getting texts recently from Newport Beach Davey’s Locker pumping and promoting Whale Watching cruises just outside the harbor. Most of the SD Fishing Fleet should’ve done the same the past few weeks and weekend. We got to see an estimated 500 False Killer Whales migrating, a few humpbacks blowing steam, five possible UFO’s or UAP’s and thousands of baby BFT putting on a pop up and down foamers show. All teasers and no biters.

33 Caliber Anglers, 45 hours on the water, 1.75 hours fishing, 1 mackerel catch and release, and zero BFT. There were about a dozen of SD’s finest with us on the water searching the waters inside, outside and upside of Desperation Reef. Aliyar and the Polaris Supreme had gotten surprisingly into a lone wolfpack of jumbo biters Saturday night in this upper zone off of SCI but the rest of us that followed and surrounded this area after weren’t as fortunate. The NLA racked up 11 BFT for their 25 but almost all the rest of us drew zeroes. So why am I posting a BD Fish Report when we didn’t catch a bloody thing? Well for one we had crispy skin seagull for dinner one night and I’ll tell you the details later...

I’ll run 5-6 charters this year and most of them are 1.75’s because last year we could’ve easily caught multiple limits on most of our 1.5’s. I even put in caps, TWO FISH LIMITS, reminding everyone of the possibilities but forgetting bluefin are bluefin. The normal for the early years has been, you’re lucky to get one bite and one bluefin or none for the whole trip. The past two years though BFT fishing has been like going to Disneyland. Pay your ticket and parking then jump on rides until you’re too tired then go home beat and smiling. This trip made me appreciate more what I’ve had and we have. An amazing fishery that hasn’t been in our backyard for a hundred years. I’m pretty sure that even some in heaven are jealous of what He has blessed us with, because at least seven of the disciples were fisherman and I’m sure they didn’t catch any BFT in the Sea of Galilee. My dad and father-in-law are not one of the seven but pretty sure they’re jealous but happy and amazed too.

There’s always a silver lining in circumstances and conditions if you pause and look. Typically on the boat there’d be little time to talk to each other except for “rail talk” which is more like screaming, yelling “move to your other right!”, hoop and hollering...Onboard there were 6 sets of father-sons, 1 father-daughter, 1 husband-wife, 5 uncles, brothers and friends talking, playing, fishing, eating, living life... That was cool to witness, feel and be a part of. Victor V is deaf but can read lips and by grace bunked with John IV who could sign fluently. The youngest onboard was 14, Ethan K and is at least six inches taller than his Dad. Ethan reminds me a lot of my son Christian, two big kids with even bigger hearts. One of the oldest guys, Rogelio G, is forever in my book as Ironman. Throughout the whole night he sat outside on the RSW cover ready to drop in the dark while the rest of us a bit younger guns laid and cozily waited in the galley or our bunks. My friend Xiao who I last saw a season ago lost 20 pounds and looks 20 years younger than me, oops he is 20 years younger! Back to fishing, the competition this trip was a bit unfair, not the pin heads or high or hot sticks, but 500 false killer whales that were flipping and flopping 20-40# bft in the air and eating them like we eat a bag of chips. The 500 fkw kicked our butt and 12 more of SD’s finest and brightest fleet. They turned our hot tuna zone into the dead zone like the flick of a switch. We worked this zone hard, a good 30 hours but next time we see 500 fkw’s, I’m telling the Captain, give them the ball and lets go play somewhere else. What separates the highliners like the Polaris Supreme, Intrepid, NLA, PQ, AA, Fortune, SD, Condor, OG...is not Plan A but imho Plan B-C-D and their will and instinct to adapt.

Trips like ours unveil or reveal the real secret to fishing. The tug may be the drug but the high, history, and secret is simply fishing, it’s sharing the time. Thank you, Islander, for the cruise, it was a tough one but we had a good time.

Ps The crispy seagull was actually duck.

Pss Pictured is my modification to the new sinker rig setup. I made the change because my friend Sean and others used the one many in the SD fleet have adopted. Unfortunately resulting or experiencing occasionally short(long) or sinker bites. The bft chews off the sinker but not the bait. If you go to youtube and type in, best damn sinker rig for bluefin by Friedman Adventures, you’ll see the video by Island Fishing Tackle with the original version. Here’s the link to it:
On the modification, please note that the torpedo is rubber banded to the swiveled circle hook or assist hook and will fall off during battle whichever hook the bft chews. Pics are the first prototype. Updated version is 24” of 300# crimped mono to a 5/0 swiveled circle hook, then 30” of 200# crimped mono to a 7/0 swiveled circle hook. Spring loop protectors. Heavy duty split rings.

Psss We heard that the lights were Navy flares but UFO’s or UAP’s sounds more exciting. Plus whoever heard of flares miles in the sky, what are they illuminating at that height?

Islander Three Musketeers.jpg

Islander Iron Men.jpg

Islander Chefs.jpg

Islander Rays.jpg

Islander UFO's.jpg

Sinker Rig with Rubber Banded Torpedo.jpg

Sinker Rig Swiveled Circle Hook.jpg

Sinker Rig Bait Hook Swiveled 5-0 Circle crimped leader.jpg

Sinker Rig Setup Full View.jpg

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    It's been a tough year on the BFT for sure. They will get tired of the micro bait eventually and we'll be ready. LOL

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak

Captain: Pete. Deckhands: David, Matt, Brody and new kid Aaron. Chefs: Mike and Rick.

I’ve been getting texts recently from Newport Beach Davey’s Locker pumping and promoting Whale Watching cruises just outside the harbor. Most of the SD Fishing Fleet should’ve done the same the past few weeks and weekend. We got to see an estimated 500 False Killer Whales migrating, a few humpbacks blowing steam, five possible UFO’s or UAP’s and thousands of baby BFT putting on a pop up and down foamers show. All teasers and no biters.

33 Caliber Anglers, 45 hours on the water, 1.75 hours fishing, 1 mackerel catch and release, and zero BFT. There were about a dozen of SD’s finest with us on the water searching the waters inside, outside and upside of Desperation Reef. Aliyar and the Polaris Supreme had gotten surprisingly into a lone wolfpack of jumbo biters Saturday night in this upper zone off of SCI but the rest of us that followed and surrounded this area after weren’t as fortunate. The NLA racked up 11 BFT for their 25 but almost all the rest of us drew zeroes. So why am I posting a BD Fish Report when we didn’t catch a bloody thing? Well for one we had crispy skin seagull for dinner one night and I’ll tell you the details later...

I’ll run 5-6 charters this year and most of them are 1.75’s because last year we could’ve easily caught multiple limits on most of our 1.5’s. I even put in caps, TWO FISH LIMITS, reminding everyone of the possibilities but forgetting bluefin are bluefin. The normal for the early years has been, you’re lucky to get one bite and one bluefin or none for the whole trip. The past two years though BFT fishing has been like going to Disneyland. Pay your ticket and parking then jump on rides until you’re too tired then go home beat and smiling. This trip made me appreciate more what I’ve had and we have. An amazing fishery that hasn’t been in our backyard for a hundred years. I’m pretty sure that even some in heaven are jealous of what He has blessed us with, because at least seven of the disciples were fisherman and I’m sure they didn’t catch any BFT in the Sea of Galilee. My dad and father-in-law are not one of the seven but pretty sure they’re jealous but happy and amazed too.

There’s always a silver lining in circumstances and conditions if you pause and look. Typically on the boat there’d be little time to talk to each other except for “rail talk” which is more like screaming, yelling “move to your other right!”, hoop and hollering...Onboard there were 6 sets of father-sons, 1 father-daughter, 1 husband-wife, 5 uncles, brothers and friends talking, playing, fishing, eating, living life... That was cool to witness, feel and be a part of. Victor V is deaf but can read lips and by grace bunked with John IV who could sign fluently. The youngest onboard was 14, Ethan K and is at least six inches taller than his Dad. Ethan reminds me a lot of my son Christian, two big kids with even bigger hearts. One of the oldest guys, Rogelio G, is forever in my book as Ironman. Throughout the whole night he sat outside on the RSW cover ready to drop in the dark while the rest of us a bit younger guns laid and cozily waited in the galley or our bunks. My friend Xiao who I last saw a season ago lost 20 pounds and looks 20 years younger than me, oops he is 20 years younger! Back to fishing, the competition this trip was a bit unfair, not the pin heads or high or hot sticks, but 500 false killer whales that were flipping and flopping 20-40# bft in the air and eating them like we eat a bag of chips. The 500 fkw kicked our butt and 12 more of SD’s finest and brightest fleet. They turned our hot tuna zone into the dead zone like the flick of a switch. We worked this zone hard, a good 30 hours but next time we see 500 fkw’s, I’m telling the Captain, give them the ball and lets go play somewhere else. What separates the highliners like the Polaris Supreme, Intrepid, NLA, PQ, AA, Fortune, SD, Condor, OG...is not Plan A but imho Plan B-C-D and their will and instinct to adapt.

Trips like ours unveil or reveal the real secret to fishing. The tug may be the drug but the high, history, and secret is simply fishing, it’s sharing the time. Thank you, Islander, for the cruise, it was a tough one but we had a good time.

Pss Pictured is my modification to the new sinker rig setup. I made the change because my friend Sean and others used the one many in the SD fleet have adopted. Unfortunately resulting or experiencing occasionally short(long) or sinker bites. The bft chews off the sinker but not the bait. If you go to youtube and type in, best damn sinker rig for bluefin by Friedman Adventures, you’ll see the video by Island Fishing Tackle with the original version. Here’s the link to it:
    On the modification, please note that the torpedo is rubber banded to the swiveled circle hook or assist hook and will fall off during battle whichever hook the bft chews. Pics are the first prototype. Updated version is 24” of 300# crimped mono to a 5/0 swiveled circle hook, then 30” of 200# crimped mono to a 7/0 swiveled circle hook. Spring loop protectors. Heavy duty split rings.

Psss We heard that the lights were Navy flares but UFO’s or UAP’s sounds more exciting. Plus whoever heard of flares miles in the sky, what are they illuminating at that height?

View attachment 1400291

View attachment 1400292

View attachment 1400293

View attachment 1400294

View attachment 1400295

View attachment 1400296

View attachment 1400297

View attachment 1400298

View attachment 1400299
    Thanks for the entertaining report.

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport

View attachment 1400291

View attachment 1400292

View attachment 1400293

View attachment 1400294

View attachment 1400295

View attachment 1400296

View attachment 1400297

View attachment 1400298

View attachment 1400299
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0

Fishboss

• Aug 14, 2018
    New Jersey
    Name
    Wojtek
    Boat Name
    Friends

"Prey sharing is common among false killer whales, which have also been known to present their kills to people watching from boats."

You didn't get any?

Upvote 0

Fishboss

• Aug 14, 2018
    New Jersey
    Name
    Wojtek
    Boat Name
    Friends
    ^^yeah, that rig looks fearsome, good idea with the swivel, gives bait more freedom to move about, it being constrained by two taut lines.

Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
    Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Hobie outback
    It's been a tough year on the BFT for sure. They will get tired of the micro bait eventually and we'll be ready. LOL

How so? I am still under the impression that this year has given us some great BFT opportunities, but it’s been higher variance compared to last year. Some differences on the top of my mind:

1. Kicked off the 2022 season with a bang with the fleet scoring limits a few weeks to the left.

2. 2 week window on jumbos and cows at the pens. Good daytime bite.

3. Quite a few boats sidelined waiting for parts or crew.

4. Higher frequency of cancellations due to weather.

976-tuna counts 2021/2022
    April 677, 5896
    May 5155, 7491
    June 13539, 5797

Hoping the bluefin settle down and start biting again.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for a really entertaining report. I've never seen a giant school of false killer whales, that would have been amazing! With them anywhere within thirty miles, I don't think that there WAS a "Plan B" for any of the captains. I've always enjoyed fishing the Islander, not only because they have several staterooms with bunks big enough for me that I can reserve, but also because they really honor their committments. I saw them run with only ten fishermen on an open 1.5-day a couple of years ago. I was on a 2.5-day a half-dozen years ago when we were fishing yellowfin tuna in the fall outside of SCI, and they threw so much bait circling the sonar schools to get them to come up and play (which worked) that they ran all the way back to San Diego and re-baited that night and then ran back out to SCI and did it again the second day. That's a man who wants to catch fish if at all possible.

Upvote 0

Fishboss

• Aug 14, 2018
    New Jersey
    Name
    Wojtek
    Boat Name
    Friends
    I agree the report is well-written and entertaining. It is a pleasure reading pieces written by those who have a knack for writing. A quick question on the modified rig. Why not, instead of the sinker on that rig, just attach a heavy jig to act as a sinker? This way it does not matter if the fish hits the jig or bait, you are likely to hook up. I know, there will be little action on the jig in the sinker rig scenario, but if they are hitting sinkers already, why not let them hit a jig?

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat Name
    None
    I agree the report is well-written and entertaining. It is a pleasure reading pieces written by those who have a knack for writing. A quick question on the modified rig. Why not, instead of the sinker on that rig, just attach a heavy jig to act as a sinker? This way it does not matter if the fish hits the jig or bait, you are likely to hook up. I know, there will be little action on the jig in the sinker rig scenario, but if they are hitting sinkers already, why not let them hit a jig?
    Hi Fishboss,
    We initially built a prototype with the KB knife jig acting as the sinker but thinking it through and talking to James K(B) we realized if the BFT bit on the bait above that the jig would be a hazard swinging in the battle to possibly cutting our crimped leader and others lines as well. The KB assist hooks are sharp and sticky. So we decided for safety and security to pass with the KB on the bottom.

Reactions: Fishboss
    Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Tunas and jacks are competitive, and stimulated by seeing another feeding or being fought. That's why don't want a jig, and you want that sinker gone. No temptation for another fish to bust you off the one you already hooked and are fighting.

Upvote 0

Fishboss

• Aug 14, 2018
    New Jersey
    Name
    Wojtek
    Boat Name
    Friends
    Tunas and jacks are competitive, and stimulated by seeing another feeding or being fought. That's why don't want a jig, and you want that sinker gone. No temptation for another fish to bust you off the one you already hooked and are fighting.
    Can you imagine hooking a tuna double? ;) Happened to me with small bass, lol.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I stopped using glow torpedo sinkers (which were all the rage four years ago) after losing two nice tunas mid-fight to cutoffs from other tuna biting the sinker which was well above the hook. Went to standard lead torpedoes and it hasn't happened since. I like the circle with the swivel. And the knife jig looks good.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

EntropyFletch

Jun 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat Name
    1990 Mako 171
    I was out there during that time on the Searcher. I was lucky enough to land the only BFT on the boat (25#) just before those FKW's came through and ruined the rest of our trip. Caught on my new SPJ set up on a Nature Boys swim rider 150g knife jig. Lots of foamers around prior to the FKW, nada afterwards.

Wondering if that super heavy mono (200/300#) would deter a daytime sinker rig bite, that's pretty thick rope with connections that I think would be very visible to a tuna during the day, regardless of depth. Interesting to see how that works out over time. I'm currently using 80# flouro to the hook and 30-40# mono below the hook to the sinker.

Reactions: dtfisherman
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    So, how do you attach a hook to a swivel? Roll, I mean braze your own, or is it ⭐✨ magic? Like the linked ring trick. Cuz if it's magic it's probably little wonder it works on bluefin.

Brilliant report, I could absolutely sense the camaraderie even though I scarcely say two words to anyone myself. Next time may you have the joy of all that and a ripper bite too!

Reactions: dtfisherman
    Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat Name
    None
    So, how do you attach a hook to a swivel? Roll, I mean braze your own, or is it ⭐✨ magic? Like the linked ring trick. Cuz if it's magic it's probably little wonder it works on bluefin.

Brilliant report, I could absolutely sense the camaraderie even though I scarcely say two words to anyone myself. Next time may you have the joy of all that and a ripper bite too!
    There’s a couple ways to get a swiveled hook. One is to buy it that way from my favorite source, Quick Rig, out of Florida. Best hook made imho is the Charlie Brown Circle Hook from them. Unfortunately the regular 1/0’s to 4/0’s circles are currently unavailable but the 5/0-10/0’s swiveled Charlie Brown circles are still available. I recommend the 5/0 for the bait and the 7/0 for the sinker.

• Love
    Reactions: Omarkayak
    Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat Name
    None
    I was out there during that time on the Searcher. I was lucky enough to land the only BFT on the boat (25#) just before those FKW's came through and ruined the rest of our trip. Caught on my new SPJ set up on a Nature Boys swim rider 150g knife jig. Lots of foamers around prior to the FKW, nada afterwards.

Wondering if that super heavy mono (200/300#) would deter a daytime sinker rig bite, that's pretty thick rope with connections that I think would be very visible to a tuna during the day, regardless of depth. Interesting to see how that works out over time. I'm currently using 80# flouro to the hook and 30-40# mono below the hook to the sinker.
    I’m normally going big or bust so the heavy duty is mandatory when I’m in that mode. During the day if the big boys are 300’ or deeper the thick rope is not a factor at that depth. If during the day we’re marking 300’ and above, fluoro crimped leaders disappear whereas mono is still visible. The other sinker rig option I’ve developed for daytime is very clean and simple for BFT under 200#’s. I’ll share images and pics if there’s proof of concept on my next trip. Couple of us tried it on our Islander trip and two of us were short bit using it on the slide. I’m pretty confident it’ll work but let’s see…

Reactions: EntropyFletch
    Upvote 0